Page 6 of 6 « First<23456
Topic Options
#6776903 - 06/13/13 05:53 PM Re: Historically significant Golden Age/Pre-Code/SOTI comic discovered! [Re: sfcityduck]
Badger Offline
If you have a dream about out-posting me, you better wake up and apologize.

Loc: Rocky Mountains
 Originally Posted By: sfcityduck
Since Wertham was German-born Jew who only moved to the U.S. in the 1920s, I suspect that he was pretty concerned about stormtroopers (a reference to Nazi's not Star Wars) and wars of aggression. I can't quite read the corrections he made, but is that a reference at the end to kids becoming "concentration camp guards"?

While I am sure what you say plays at least a small part in his psyche, to me, the fact that he equates storm troopers, commandos, and paratroopers indicates an antimilitarist streak that I have not seen in any of his other writings.
Does he self-censor and concentrate on crime and sex because he thinks they will have a more popular impact than criticizing the miitary?

Does anyone have any idea whose pen markups are on the document? I assume that Wertham added the penciled writing at the end but it seems weird to me that he would have "graded" his letter. I say "graded" because it looks like the kind of short-hand notes my old English teacher would have put on a paper of mine, "Should have used parentheses here. Awkward phrasing.", and so on.

I want to buy your 9.0+ Donald Duck #26!
I want to buy your All Select #7 in 2.0 through 7.0

#6779359 - 06/14/13 12:28 PM Re: Historically significant Golden Age/Pre-Code/SOTI comic discovered! [Re: Badger]
sfcityduck Offline
Chatzilla

Loc: San Francisco
The notations on the letter are consistent with editing a draft. I assume that the letter was a work-in-progress draft, not the final letter, as it is unsigned and has corrections. Accordingly, I think those notations were all made by Wertham as part of the drafting process.
#6779794 - 06/14/13 02:32 PM Re: Historically significant Golden Age/Pre-Code/SOTI comic discovered! [Re: sfcityduck]
Badger Offline
If you have a dream about out-posting me, you better wake up and apologize.

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Interesting! I was thinking it was the letter he mailed and not a draft but it was his archives so that makes sence.

Thanks! \(thumbs u

I want to buy your 9.0+ Donald Duck #26!
I want to buy your All Select #7 in 2.0 through 7.0

#6937188 - 08/11/13 09:08 PM Re: Historically significant Golden Age/Pre-Code/SOTI comic discovered! [Re: Badger]
Sarg Offline
Collector is an understatement.

What happened to the interior scans?

I like how both the publisher and the media covering this book seem to be completely unaware that Classics Illustrated existed. Wertham knew, but of course he viewed them as little better than crime comics themselves, citing several issues in SOTI.

#7054837 - 09/30/13 08:00 PM Re: Historically significant Golden Age/Pre-Code/SOTI comic discovered! [Re: Sarg]
dntfeedthemnkys Offline
The Post-man always rings twice. Uhm... ring ring?

Loc: Sunshine Coast, Aus.
\:o

AMAZING thread, story, pics, letter etc. Wow. Thanks so much for sharing this.

Page 6 of 6 « First<23456

Moderator:  plitch, Gemma, Harshen, cgcmod3-migration, dena, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod7, CCGmod0, cgcmod8, Matt Nelson, cgcmod9, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, ccgmod1, PaulS., ccgmod2-migration, Bree 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Use Google to Search the Boards

The Money Marketplace
Comics Marketplace
Advertisements

Generated in 0.014 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Aspen Titles IDW Publishing