Page 3 of 6 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#6766455 - 06/09/13 08:42 PM Re: Historically significant Golden Age/Pre-Code/SOTI comic discovered! [Re: craig yoe]
BangZoom Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Originally Posted By: craig yoe
I had the pleasure of meeting Dong Kingman--wish I would have known about this at the time so I could have asked him about it.

Did he mention anything about his work for Ringling Bros. Circus?

#6767287 - 06/10/13 08:00 AM Re: Historically significant Golden Age/Pre-Code/SOTI comic discovered! [Re: sfcityduck]
Bo_Hogg Offline
Talkative?

Loc: Maryland
That is like freakin incredible!!!!!!!!!!!! That is one of the rarest comics in the world. I have been looking for that forever. Much praise to you!!!!!!!!!
#6767413 - 06/10/13 09:57 AM Re: Historically significant Golden Age/Pre-Code/SOTI comic discovered! [Re: Bo_Hogg]
sfcityduck Offline
Chatzilla

Loc: San Francisco
Thanks Bo! It was fun to find.
#6767906 - 06/10/13 01:30 PM Re: Historically significant Golden Age/Pre-Code/SOTI comic discovered! [Re: BangZoom]
sfcityduck Offline
Chatzilla

Originally Posted By: BangZoom

Congrats on the find, sfcityduck.

I hope you're going to post some pics of the interior.

Thanks, BZ! As you're one of the posters I've learned the most about comics from on this site, I really appreciate your kudos. I will get back to posting on the book tonite.

#6768911 - 06/10/13 07:25 PM Re: Historically significant Golden Age/Pre-Code/SOTI comic discovered! [Re: sfcityduck]
Moondog Offline
FACT if I stop posting, trillions and trillions of transistors would be out of work.

Loc: Chicago, IL
From one collector of rare and important books to another - congrats on a great find! \(thumbs u

Edited by Moondog (06/10/13 07:26 PM)

#6769568 - 06/10/13 10:52 PM Re: Historically significant Golden Age/Pre-Code/SOTI comic discovered! [Re: Moondog]
SOTIcollector Offline
Talkative?

Loc: Massachusetts
Wow! What an amazing find!

I know of two other copies of this book in the world, and one is at the Library of Congress.

The photo that I posted at SeductionOfTheInnocent.org is one that I took when I went to examine Wertham's files at the Library of Congress. The areas of the cover that appear to be a pale shade of green in my photo were actually bright white on the comic at LoC. The photo taken by my digital camera without flash under fluorescent lights came out rather greenish at the top & bottom. I can't say now with certainty whether the center part of the cover was red or orange, but it certainly could have been red. What appear to be coloring variations between sfcityduck's copy and the LOC copy are likely due to the limitations of my digital point-and-shoot camera and the ban on flash photography at LOC, rather than two different versions of the book. I'd need another trip to DC to verify that.

Regardless of whether there are one or two versions of this book (and if there are two, the theory about Wertham having an advance copy is a reasonable explanation. Wertham definitely had advance information from Once-Upon-A-Time Press including covers to future books they intended to publish), it's still a really exciting find and an amazing book to have. Congrats, sfcityduck!

In January, 2017, I'll be giving away a FREE copy of Seduction of the Innocent! Check my posts for details.

Not long ago, I gave away a FREE Seduction of the Innocent for discovering SOTI books! Read about it here!

My kudos thread
My eBay feedback
My Website, MyComicArt.com

#6769613 - 06/10/13 11:11 PM Re: Historically significant Golden Age/Pre-Code/SOTI comic discovered! [Re: BangZoom]
BOOT Offline
Chatzilla

Originally Posted By: sfcityduck
I am pleased to report that right now I am holding in my hands a copy of The Nightingale published by Henry H. Stansbury’s Once-Upon-A-Time Press Inc. in 1948 (10c, 7-1/4x10-1/4”, 14 pgs., 1/2 B&W).

+1

I'd love to see the inside pages to see if it is truly a "comic book" or more like a "floppy" children's book.

#6769653 - 06/10/13 11:23 PM Re: Historically significant Golden Age/Pre-Code/SOTI comic discovered! [Re: BOOT]
tb Offline
Chatzilla

Originally Posted By: BOOT
 Originally Posted By: sfcityduck
I am pleased to report that right now I am holding in my hands a copy of The Nightingale published by Henry H. Stansbury’s Once-Upon-A-Time Press Inc. in 1948 (10c, 7-1/4x10-1/4”, 14 pgs., 1/2 B&W).

+1

I'd love to see the inside pages to see if it is truly a "comic book" or more like a "floppy" children's book.

+1 too.

I am curious whether the story is faithful to the fairytale, in particular whether it features Death.

#6769909 - 06/11/13 01:04 AM Re: Historically significant Golden Age/Pre-Code/SOTI comic discovered! [Re: Moondog]
sfcityduck Offline
Chatzilla

Originally Posted By: Moondog
From one collector of rare and important books to another - congrats on a great find! \(thumbs u

Thanks! Coming from a guy who made the coolest discovery in the history of the hobby (the ashcans) and followed that up with a nice pedigree collection, that means a lot.

#6769921 - 06/11/13 01:14 AM Re: Historically significant Golden Age/Pre-Code/SOTI comic discovered! [Re: SOTIcollector]
sfcityduck Offline
Chatzilla

Originally Posted By: SOTIcollector
Wow! What an amazing find!

I know of two other copies of this book in the world, and one is at the Library of Congress.

Thanks! I never would have sought out the book but for your posting of the LoC cover. I really appreciate the clarification about the color scheme of the cover, but I'm a still curious what you meant by the "alternative cover" comment.

And thanks also for revealing the existence of a third copy (presumably in the hands of a private collector as I speculated earlier). So now we have three known copies, two in private collections. I guess there's no need to start a The Nightingale club thread quite yet.

Page 3 of 6 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  plitch, Gemma, Harshen, cgcmod3-migration, dena, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod7, CCGmod0, cgcmod8, Matt Nelson, cgcmod9, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, ccgmod1, PaulS., ccgmod2-migration, Bree 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Use Google to Search the Boards

The Money Marketplace
Comics Marketplace
Advertisements

Generated in 0.013 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

IDW Publishing