Page 2 of 6 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#6761217 - 06/07/13 09:14 PM Re: Historically significant Golden Age/Pre-Code/SOTI comic discovered! [Re: sfcityduck]
MusterMark Offline
Up 20 words per minute since I signed up

Love your quest, and your success.
Congratulations!

Gorgeous watercolors too!
\:\)
And sure any he has it's all beside the mark.

— Murray Gell-Mann:
In 1963, when I assigned the name "quark" to the fundamental constituents of the nucleon, I had the sound first, without the spelling, which could have been "kwork". Then, in one of my occasional perusals of Finnegans Wake, by James Joyce, I came across the word "quark" in the phrase "Three quarks for Muster Mark".

#6761323 - 06/07/13 09:41 PM Re: Historically significant Golden Age/Pre-Code/SOTI comic discovered! [Re: MusterMark]
OtherEric Offline
Collectosaurus Rex

Really enjoying the info you're sharing. Would LOVE it if you can scan the book for us, or even just digital camera shots of the pages- assuming the copyright wasn't renewed this would be an amazing book to get at the DCM
#6762022 - 06/08/13 01:06 AM Re: Historically significant Golden Age/Pre-Code/SOTI comic discovered! [Re: OtherEric]
sfcityduck Offline
Chatzilla

Loc: San Francisco
SOTIcollector is the guy who discovered the copy in the Library of Congress. I don't know where he got this image, whether online or in person, but this is what he posted about his discovery:

Originally Posted By: SOTIcollector

I can't indicate whether the book was distributed, but I can say that it was printed. There is a printed copy of the book in Wertham's files at the Library of Congress, plus an alternate cover. That's where I got took this picture, which I posted at the SOTI website. One of these days I'll dig out the alternate cover and post it as well.

He never posted the "alternate cover." As you'll see in a little while, I think SOTIcollector may have been wrong about which image is the "alternate cover," because the copy I found features a slightly different color scheme than the above image.

#6762121 - 06/08/13 02:04 AM Re: Historically significant Golden Age/Pre-Code/SOTI comic discovered! [Re: sfcityduck]
scooter99 Offline
I was posting here when you were in diapers.

Loc: CA
Anxiously awaiting your scan of the book. And congrats for unearthing this gem.
Want list: Bats 227, 232 & 251 in 9.2/9.4, well centered with white pages, raw or slabbed. Also looking for midgrade Chamber of Chills 19 in 3.0 to 7.0. Shoot me a pm if you have any of the above for sale.

I love the smell of old comic books in the morning. It's the smell of ..........VICTORY!

#6762163 - 06/08/13 02:59 AM Re: Historically significant Golden Age/Pre-Code/SOTI comic discovered! [Re: scooter99]
sfcityduck Offline
Chatzilla

Front cover. Colors are correct, very red and beige, not the green and orange of the LoC find. The wood on that table is an aged cherry.

#6762170 - 06/08/13 03:09 AM Re: Historically significant Golden Age/Pre-Code/SOTI comic discovered! [Re: sfcityduck]
sfcityduck Offline
Chatzilla

I'll post the back cover later this weekend as its late, my technical skills suck, and my kid is counting on me to take him to paintball tomorrow.
#6763832 - 06/08/13 08:40 PM Re: Historically significant Golden Age/Pre-Code/SOTI comic discovered! [Re: sfcityduck]
markseifert Offline
If you have a dream about out-posting me, you better wake up and apologize.

Loc: Rantoul, IL
Wow! Congrats on some tenacious research rewarded by the acquisition. So very well done, sir.

#6764006 - 06/08/13 09:44 PM Re: Historically significant Golden Age/Pre-Code/SOTI comic discovered! [Re: markseifert]
sfcityduck Offline
Chatzilla

Back from playing woodsball:

About the distinctions in the covers, I have a theory:

The AP story that came out when the comic was released noted that there was a "pre-publication" release of the comic to school(s) in the Bronx from copies that were sent to librarians for review. The NYT article references that the comic was previewed to librarians, police chiefs, and educators. I don't think it is a stretch to believe that there was an initial limited printing for submission to such reviewers, and that Dr. Wertham was one of the folks that a pre-publication review copy was sent to. Wertham was in NYC and getting national press on the issue of comics, so he was a natural person to submit the comic too. The fact that Wertham has a complete copy of the green-orange copy and an "alternative cover" (I'm assuming it was just the cover, but SOTIcollector will have to clarify) would suggest that the green/orange version was the pre-publication and the red/beige version was the 5,000 copy print run and it was previewed to him with the reviewer copy. Just a theory, we'll probably never know for sure.

But, what we do know is that there is only one green/orange version and one red/beige version. Earlier I said there were only two known copies. Maybe it's more accurate to say that there are only two different copies -- one a reviewer's printing and the other the standard print run of 5,000 copies, and we're not sure which is which.

I look forward to SOTIcollector weighing in on some of this.

Edited by sfcityduck (06/08/13 10:01 PM)

#6766422 - 06/09/13 08:34 PM Re: Historically significant Golden Age/Pre-Code/SOTI comic discovered! [Re: sfcityduck]
craig yoe Offline
Collector

I had the pleasure of meeting Dong Kingman--wish I would have known about this at the time so I could have asked him about it.
#6766448 - 06/09/13 08:41 PM Re: Historically significant Golden Age/Pre-Code/SOTI comic discovered! [Re: sfcityduck]
BangZoom Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Originally Posted By: sfcityduck
I am pleased to report that right now I am holding in my hands a copy of The Nightingale published by Henry H. Stansbury’s Once-Upon-A-Time Press Inc. in 1948 (10c, 7-1/4x10-1/4”, 14 pgs., 1/2 B&W).

Congrats on the find, sfcityduck.

I hope you're going to post some pics of the interior.

Page 2 of 6 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  plitch, Gemma, Harshen, cgcmod3-migration, dena, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod7, CCGmod0, cgcmod8, Matt Nelson, cgcmod9, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, ccgmod1, PaulS., ccgmod2-migration, Bree 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Use Google to Search the Boards

The Money Marketplace
Comics Marketplace
Advertisements

Generated in 0.014 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

IDW Publishing