• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STRANGE TALES #110 Club!
9 9

1,322 posts in this topic

I've been playing on this section of the boards for a bit now and haven't seen a thread for the 1st appearance of Doctor Strange and I think it's about time! So if you've got a copy of Strange Tales #110 that you'd like to post and share, this is the place!

Here's my copy:

20130129_195800.jpg

20130129_195830.jpg

20130129_195921.jpg

20130129_195938.jpg

(If this is a dupe thread, please feel free to ignore / delete me)

Nice looking mid-grade example.

I'm not a fan of the cover, and the black areas can make condition a challenge.

I don't own a ST 110 (yet) - waiting for the right copy to come along, meanwhile the price keeps escalating.

Thanks! I'm not a huge fan of the cover either. Not only are the blacks problematic, but there's the dark URC and there's a lot of white / tan on the cover that would show issues easily. Throw in that it's the "Marvel chipping era" and high grade copies aren't as common in this issue as others.

If the good Doc was on the cover in some capacity then this book would have been worth 2x as much as it is today a long time ago. One thing about these Marvel Silver Age keys, no matter how much they go up, they don't fall down too much. GOOD LUCK!

MagnetoWR: Great stuff! What was this "Stan Lee Event" that yours was signed at? Do you know? I saw your group shot in another thread, hoped you'd post!

dgarth: You're sitting on $$$, you know that.... right? Good stuff!

Its a shame that there is no mention of Doctor Strange on the cover.

Would have been a better 1st appearance had he been depicted. 2c

I agree, If he was on the cover, or even if his name was mention somewhere, the book would be of higher value and demand IMO :tonofbricks:

I agree, If he was on the cover, or even if his name was mention somewhere, the book would be of higher value and demand IMO :tonofbricks:

So true. Plus he's not only not even in #112, but:

1) he's not even mentioned on a cover until #117

2) not pictured until #118, and then not again until #121

3) and after being passed over multiple times entirely and sharing covers he doesn't get his own full cover until #146!!!

I always liked this splash that I think is from his origin story in #115 that Marvel used as the Milestone ish cover:

mmest110.gif

Plus he's not only not even in #112

Nor in #113 either. :gossip:

I really like the lighter inking on the early Doctor Strange stories, ST 110 and ST 111 for example. It gave an ethereal quality to Ditko's artwork.

Once the heavy inking started, Ditko's efforts are somewhat suppressed and some of the appeal is lost.

So true. Plus he's not only not even in #112, but:

1) he's not even mentioned on a cover until #117

2) not pictured until #118, and then not again until #121

3) and after being passed over multiple times entirely and sharing covers he doesn't get his own full cover until #146!!!

I always liked this splash that I think is from his origin story in #115 that Marvel used as the Milestone ish cover:

mmest110.gif

ill tell ya what buddy, if that was the cover (or somewhere on the cover) youd talk about this book double the price IMO :makepoint:

MagnetoWR: Great stuff! What was this "Stan Lee Event" that yours was signed at? Do you know? I saw your group shot in another thread, hoped you'd post!

dgarth: You're sitting on $$$, you know that.... right? Good stuff!

My copy was signed at the Stan Lee Tribute Event in Las Vegas in 2010. He was given a life time achievement award and his life's work was celebrated in a weekend long event at the Palms Hotel. I got pretty lucky to get my hands on this book.