• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Accuracy of Gerber and Overstreet Scarcity Designations
8 8

319 posts in this topic

I would be interested in hearing both anecdotal and statistical evidence of whether the scarcity ratings created by Gerber and those utilized by Overstreet (not sure if they are the same) continue to remain accurate, and the degree to which that may or may not be the case.

I can compare the Gerber values to the actual CGC counts... BUT...

I would need a list of Gerber values...

Does anyone know if a list or lists already exist?

I doubt if the full listings would be "out there" somewhere on the internet, but

I'm thinking that someone might have already compiled a list of Gerber 9s and 10s.

I found a "hard to find" list of about 40 Crime books with Gerber Index scores,

but that's about all I see online without further digging through Google.

I realize it could be a never-ending quest to list the Gerber values,

but I'm hoping there are at least a few shortcuts to get to the good stuff.

Anybody have any Gerber lists already compiled? flowerred.gif

My impression with Gerber is that it is reasonably accurate for books that were heavily collected by the time it came out. I think for a lot of less popular genres (romance, humor, etc) Gerber just gave out 3s and 4s to entire runs and titles. Most of these are justified, but some of them are not. I think those rankings reflect more a lack of interest on the cataloger's part (and to be fair to Gerber, on the part of collectors in general) rather than any actual attempt to evaluate scarcity.

Without knowing what the back of the book looks like, could that miswrap be "pressed" so the white border is more even down the spine? Love that cover.

Frankly, knowing what I know now, I would not be surprised if it were. I bought it slabbed so I honestly don't know. I will scan in the back tomorrow and post it.

Here's a G7, though I think in fact it is probably a little easier than that to acquire.

isthistomorrow.jpg

Here's a Gerber no-show that IMO should rank an 8....or dare I say 9!?!?

AmericaMenaced.jpg

And here's a newly-bought post-auction book from the Heritage auction. Paid a pretty penny, but I have been jonesing for a copy of this one for a few years, and I can't think of too many books more appropriate to my world, so I went for it. Gerber 8, so speaketh the bible.

ifthedevilwouldtalk.jpg