• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your Top 5 sketch covers in your collection?
7 7

231 posts in this topic

I asked this question a while ago, thought it was time for a revisit :headbang:

What are the top 5 sketch covers in your collection? Your personal favorites? Any backstory behind obtaining the sketch? If you got 'em show' em, my pics will be coming soon!

I'll play. In no particular order:

Batman by Tim Sale. My first sketch cover. :cloud9: And, you know, Tim Sale.

IMG_0001-1.jpg

Swamp Thing by John Totleben. My first Totleben. :cloud9: Paid a gazillion for it but, man, do I <3 that rendering.

st20totleben.jpg

Miracleman by Totleben. Noticing a theme? I've had this copy in my collection since high school so it was great to add the sketch.

IMG_20130308_170549_836_zpsec8c6cbc.jpg

Floronic Man by Totleben. Because this comic is fantastic and Woodrue is the real star of the story.

IMG_20130308_170630_795_zps3ef6d915.jpg

Bane Breaks the Bat by Breyfogle. I just straight like this.

BreyfogleBanebreakingBatman.jpg

This is actually really hard lol

I'd like to see yours Mike :)

It's so hard for me to pick because I've got so many that mean a lot to me, like my Chris Stevens from Mike :foryou: sketch covers from Par2ch, Adonis, Menace and a million more guys here. Here are 4 that I would definitely put in my top 4. (in no order):

RedSkullGranov.JPG

I wanted a character from Adi that I'd never seen done before, and I love the Skull so this one is a no brainer for me. This is a CGC SS 9.8.

WarMachineHopgood.jpg

As everybody knows, I'm a huge Iron Man fan, so this War Machine one by Kevin Hopgood (War Machine creator and original Iron Man 282 cover artist) really is perfect for my collection.

Ploog-GhostRider-Fullfig.jpg

This is a CGC SS 9.8, and I'm just a big fan of Mike Ploog and love his Ghost Rider. Nuff said!

112847.jpg

Doug (Medicar) was kind enough to get this for me a few years back, and I just think it's brilliant. Michonne :cloud9:

My 5th choice I want to leave unlisted, as I have one being done now @ Phenix Comic Con, and I'm thinking this may be in my top 5.

This is all within budget, cause I don't spend crazy $$ on blanks, regardless of who the creator is, or how hard they are to obtain :

Jaro

the_avengers12.jpg

EVS

EV1001_zps9908f9c5.jpg

Parel

GP001.jpg

Medina

AM001_zpse7b4a56a.jpg

Bart Sears

Thor_small.jpg

My favorite sketch is actually miles ahead of my other top 5

Black Lantern Batman by Ivan Reis

ReisIvan-BlackLanternBatman.jpg

#2 Joker by Ryan Benjamin

BenjaminRyan-Joker2.jpgBenjaminRyan-Joker1.jpg

#3 Black Lantern Batman by EVS (Soon to be replaced with a full figure)

VanSciverEthan-BlackLanternBatman.jpg

#4 Az Bats by Marat Mychaels

MychalesMarar-Azbats.jpg

#5 Huntress by Bob Layton with colors by Jeff Balke

HuntressbyBobLaytonandJeffBalke_zps32172740.jpg

top 5 atm

i'm a big TF fan and he's one of my favs if not most fav chacter form comics/cartoons, and brian's (devilreign) art style fits the chacter perfectly.......think that's the spelling of his board name

Avengers1BrianMassa.jpg

not sure if it looks it in the scan but in hand it actully looks like metal

TheMarvelsProject1GuyDorian.jpg

i know this one gets brought up from time to time bc of the grade and there is a story as to why it was done this way.......i have said the story before but if people would like it repeated let me know

SecretInvasion1MarkSparacio.jpg

Avengers1RichardCox.jpg

this was sappose to be a full body but nei talked me into a bust bc she could do starfires hair justice as it would be up closer and for starfire her hair is a distishing feature........i will admitt i was a little worried but once i saw it she was right, and i let her know as well

X-Men1NeiRuffino_zps37143cae.jpg

Clayton Crain

My first convention cgc graded sketch.

scan0231.jpg

Tom Fowler

scan0233.jpg

Val Mayerik

manthinghoward.jpg

Ben Dewey

I was blown away with all the detail he put into this.

CBB622D3-DFFF-447C-9BE6-838C0E59D391-1116-0000012064253341_zps8963c0ad.jpg

Chris Stevens

chris20stevens20deadpool.jpg

Wow love the sketches! Never saw the Nei and the Mychaels before :o

Sold a lot of stuff I can replace, kept everything I can't

Heres mine:

My thanks to Todd(freeform) for the connect with Chris. Saw a cosplayer last year named Stephanie Castro @SDCC, she was the inspiration

Chris Stevens

CapLadysketchcoversmall-1.jpg

Chris Bachalo:

fd93038d-1.jpg

Gerald Parel:

geraldwonderwoman-2.jpg

John Romita, signed by Joe Simon and Stan Lee. Thanks to NYComics

I know the new wave are copics/sexiness, but you can't go wrong with the icons :cloud9:

0e73745f-1-3.jpg

Jae Lee thanks to BeerThirty

2013-05-24223418.jpg

This is actually really hard lol

I'd like to see yours Mike :)

It's so hard for me to pick because I've got so many that mean a lot to me, like my Chris Stevens from Mike :foryou: sketch covers from Par2ch, Adonis, Menace and a million more guys here. Here are 4 that I would definitely put in my top 4. (in no order):

RedSkullGranov.JPG

I wanted a character from Adi that I'd never seen done before, and I love the Skull so this one is a no brainer for me. This is a CGC SS 9.8.

WarMachineHopgood.jpg

As everybody knows, I'm a huge Iron Man fan, so this War Machine one by Kevin Hopgood (War Machine creator and original Iron Man 282 cover artist) really is perfect for my collection.

Ploog-GhostRider-Fullfig.jpg

This is a CGC SS 9.8, and I'm just a big fan of Mike Ploog and love his Ghost Rider. Nuff said!

112847.jpg

Doug (Medicar) was kind enough to get this for me a few years back, and I just think it's brilliant. Michonne :cloud9:

My 5th choice I want to leave unlisted, as I have one being done now @ Phenix Comic Con, and I'm thinking this may be in my top 5.

Wow! (worship)

Wow love the sketches! Never saw the Nei and the Mychaels before :o

Sold a lot of stuff I can replace, kept everything I can't

Heres mine:

My thanks to Todd(freeform) for the connect with Chris. Saw a cosplayer last year named Stephanie Castro @SDCC, she was the inspiration

Chris Stevens

CapLadysketchcoversmall-1.jpg

Chris Bachalo:

fd93038d-1.jpg

Gerald Parel:

geraldwonderwoman-2.jpg

John Romita, signed by Joe Simon and Stan Lee. Thanks to NYComics

I know the new wave are copics/sexiness, but you can't go wrong with the icons :cloud9:

0e73745f-1-3.jpg

Jae Lee thanks to BeerThirty

2013-05-24223418.jpg

Love that wonder woman!

This thread could also be titled which sketch covers are you least likely to sell. lol

Besides having an ongoing theme of X-Men and Batman (mostly Harley Quinn) sketches I like to request characters that artists haven't draw before or haven't drawn in a while.

Mark Texiera - I really love this one. I watched Mark paint it from start to finish. I think when you actually watch the artist create the art it makes it more special.

2013-05-04%2016.52.32.jpg

Clay Mann - Every sketch he does is amazing. This is my first of many from him.

magikmannsmall.jpg

Artgerm - This sketch is one of the best Harley's I've seen. I'm grateful I had the opportunity to buy it. Big thanks to Doug (dscott).

268870_10151459615727736_216704825_n.jpg

Cary Nord - My first convention commission on a sketch cover. Kurt Busiek's and Cary Nord's Conan was one of the first comics I bought with my own money and followed monthly so I really wanted a sketch from him. There were no Conan blanks so I came up with an alternative: Cave Batman from the Return of Bruce Wayne.

carynordbatman.jpg

Stephen Segovia - In line with my second theme I wanted a character that Stephen hadn't drawn yet. Stephen draws a great Wolverine and great women, so I guessed he would draw a great X-23. I was right and he drew one of the best X-23's I've seen. Thank you Mike for setting up the op.

5386_4716886885689_243274689_n.jpg

Artgerm - This sketch is one of the best Harley's I've seen. I'm grateful I had the opportunity to buy it. Big thanks to Doug (dscott).

268870_10151459615727736_216704825_n.jpg

I've not seen this one posted here before - I absolutely love that sketch - captures her perfectly!