• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Case Indentations

295 posts in this topic

I'm sure there's a post going around about the indentations that certain cases have on the back cover that sort of suspend the comic more appropriately. My questions are:

• Why do some have it while others dont

• Does it lower the value of the now graded comic

• most of all, has anyone received complaints on ebay or from sellers because of this? I just received one recently on ebay and I can see this being very frustrating for sellers if every buyer comes out with a buyer protection case

I'm a little confused, are you asking about the different inner well's?

A picture may help.

It appears to be something to do with the backing only. Is the inner well pressurized? shrink wrapped? I've been seeing this on a few of the ones I've been receiving back in large submissions.

9H4Bjmsl.jpg

Edited by heymikesays

I'm a little confused, are you asking about the different inner well's?

A picture may help.

It appears to be something to do with the backing only. Is the inner well pressurized? shrink wrapped? I've been seeing this on a few of the ones I've been receiving back in large submissions.

9H4Bjmsl.jpg

Looks like a QC problem to me. You may want to call them, though, to discuss it.

9H4Bjmsl.jpg

This is not a good sign. Contact CGC. (thumbs u

I just went through my slabs (I don't have many :shy:) and I couldn't find anything like that.

Can we see a picture of the entire back of the case?

This was brought up in a different thread as well - it's a by-product of the sealing process; I've gotten several slabs back in recent submissions that had this weird indentation in the plastic.

I realize these days people are selling slabs before they have them back in hand from CGC (not saying that's what the OP did). But the only way that CGC will do a better job with QC is if people call them on these issues and insist on being allowed to return the book to be reslabbed without charge.

I realize these days people are selling slabs before they have them back in hand from CGC (not saying that's what the OP did). But the only way that CGC will do a better job with QC is if people call them on these issues and insist on being allowed to return the book to be reslabbed without charge.

I did - and when I got it back it had a different indentation.

I will contact them once I received it back. has anyone had any good/bad experiences with customer service and these particular requests?

I have also received a few new slabs with this fist-sized warping on the back. If this warped plastic is touching the comic, that could be an issue as it could leave a permanent indent on the comic over time.

I did - and when I got it back it had a different indentation.

Ouch! I suppose the thing to do is to send it back again. Sounds as if something was changed in their encapsulation process that is causing problems.

Heymikesays,

I recently submitted 10 books to CGC at the ECCC, 5 silver age, 2 bronze age and 3 moderns. They all came back at different times. The first 7 to return all had that similar indentation as yours and the 3 moderns did not. I emailed CGC to ask them about it after the first one came back and this was their response,

"That is a by-product of the injection molds used to manufacture our inner wells and is more cosmetic than anything. That will not affect your book in any way."

since all of mine were coming back that way I assumed that there was no way around it, but then when the final three books arrived without it, I wondered if I should contact them again about re-slabbing, but I haven't yet. I'm really interested to hear how it goes for you, please keep us posted.

I have some recent books that came back with this weird indent on the back. I have over 100 slabs and none of the others have this. It's new and strange.