• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Check the other thread for the answer, lol...and ditch the hearts before my VERY tall husband, gets the wrong idea, lol.

I did suggest he not take it too far. But Rupp has no off switch.

Dominic-Wilcox-On-Off-Switch.jpg

Well, he does. It just doesn't always function right.

Hey now... this dog wasn't the one who ran with that bone :grin:

So the result of the JIM 83 transaction between longdillon and Jo Seph is:

Jo Seph: -$60

Longdillon: +unknown profit from transaction with BlueHawaii

It's inconsequential whether or not Jo Seph wants to move on or not. It's inconsequential how severe the end result "could" have been. All that matters is what actually happened for purposes of the probation list. Until Jo Seph receives a full refund for all costs incurred from Longdillon then to the PL dillon shall go. When that money gets refunded then dillon comes off the PL.

Regarding future protections from Longdillon's treachery, well the PL isn't designed to predict the future; it's merely here to display the facts. Buyers and sellers can help protect themselves by trolling the mess out of this thread. Actually, that should be strongly encouraged one way or another.

I'm with you in spirit, but the PL is accuser-driven, unless you can find a loophole I don't see any room for 3rd party interventions.

The PL is accuser-driven but it's not accuser manipulated. That is decided by jury who are comprised of the posters in this thread. Or, at least, that seems to have been the way things have gone.

The PL is accuser-driven but it's not accuser manipulated. That is decided by jury who are comprised of the posters in this thread. Or, at least, that seems to have been the way things have gone.

I think the direction it has been on is the Probation List is for sellers or buyer to add names once certain criteria has been met. With the HOS, that is driven by a group vote once a recommendation has been made.

But I do see your point about certain situations like this oddball double-buyer sitiuation seems more concerning.

It's inconsequential whether or not Jo Seph wants to move on or not. It's inconsequential how severe the end result "could" have been. All that matters is what actually happened for purposes of the probation list. Until Jo Seph receives a full refund for all costs incurred from Longdillon then to the PL dillon shall go. When that money gets refunded then dillon comes off the PL.

Regarding future protections from Longdillon's treachery, well the PL isn't designed to predict the future; it's merely here to display the facts. Buyers and sellers can help protect themselves by trolling the mess out of this thread. Actually, that should be strongly encouraged one way or another.

JS is getting screwed out of money, a book and time... why should someone else have to?... (thumbs u ryan

JS is getting screwed out of money, a book and time... why should someone else have to?... (thumbs u ryan

Not to mention the stress of thinking / knowing he's been ripped off, especially when it came to light someone else had bought the book.

First off, I believe it was Arch who wanted only positive feedback in the Kudos thread, so we don't have a choice.

I think he's right, it would be like the wild west here if we had negative feedback, as it is, we have friends giving feedback to people that they don't buy from, people who bump their own threads constantly to thank everyone .It shows more views, I guess. .Check Cal's sometime, I only looked at it once, but I think he answers everyone who posts.

In the old eBay days,when they allowed non transactional feedback, people would give you unsolicited (or maybe solicited if they were positive) negs and positives all over the place.

I can only imagine the fights that would break out if someone put a bad remark in a kudos thread. "Yes it was a new bag...no it wasn't" "You just hate me, don't you" etc, etc;)

I see Rupp's point about people complaiining about minor things with the "special mention" idea I had, and I agree, there are too many people who have friends, and then we have people like Rupp who are going to feel they have to defend axe murderers ....Sorry, Michael, you were just the first example I thought of. :foryou:

I do however think this guy should not just get a pass. I had forgotten that he already was a bad guy with ComicDonna...and I do think that Jo Seph is concerned (since people brought it up) about a charge back.

Joseph says that he will reviisit the issue in 40 days. How about some kind of possible pending probation note ? or are there any other ideas? I just hate to let the guy just slide and have some other poor person given a raw deal without them at least having the list as a head's up.

Sharon, I see your point and I remember well the old days on eBay. But there is a reason that eBay introduced fb -- to reassure buyers. If buyers don't feel comfortable buying, in the end the sellers get hurt. Frankly, I think the opposition to fb threads on the boards comes mostly from sellers who think buyers will post a lot of ticky-tack complaints.

But there is a problem with the current system. A seller who skirts the technical probation requirements suffers no consequences, leaving him free to provide bad service to the next seller. This case is an extreme example. Just about everyone would agree that this seller has behaved badly, but he will suffer no real consequences. In fact, he appears very likely to come out well ahead.

In buying from the boards, I have encountered a fair number of lousy sellers -- people who don't ship for three weeks after payment, people who overgrade, people who do a lousy packing job, and so on. I won't buy from these sellers again ... but the next buyer has no way of learning about my bad experiences.

It's gotten to the point where I won't buy off the boards except from sellers I know or with whom I have already had a successful transaction.

I know it has been discussed before, but I believe the only way to address all these issues is with the introduction of feedback threads opposed to Kudos thread.

If someone has a bad experience then why should they not let others on the board not know to save them from similar situations. I did not know that ones kudos thread could not be trusted when I went ahead with my last purchase. It's not so easy for the more casual boardies to stay up to date with these probation threads etc.

Sure people can abuse possible feedback threads but the same can be said for the Kudos thread, with mates posting bogus kudos messages. The feedback threads will have strict rules and obviously be moderated (however little moderation occurs, nonetheless).

That's my 2c on the topic. It's probably been done to death but just shows there needs to be a change.

How does one put somebody on this list?

If you just discuss it hear I want to put Mikey1215 on this list.

We made a trade deal back on 3/11/13 and he still has not sent my book or responded to any of my pm's. I sent his books which valued up to $300 on 3/18/13 and the last time I even heard from him was on the 4/20/13. So now I think I got scammed and don't know what to do. Thoughts? Thanks

Bryan

I know it has been discussed before, but I believe the only way to address all these issues is with the introduction of feedback threads opposed to Kudos thread.

If someone has a bad experience then why should they not let others on the board not know to save them from similar situations. I did not know that ones kudos thread could not be trusted when I went ahead with my last purchase. It's not so easy for the more casual boardies to stay up to date with these probation threads etc.

Sure people can abuse possible feedback threads but the same can be said for the Kudos thread, with mates posting bogus kudos messages. The feedback threads will have strict rules and obviously be moderated (however little moderation occurs, nonetheless).

That's my 2c on the topic. It's probably been done to death but just shows there needs to be a change.

Pretty much in agreement with this. It really is too bad that in the days of computers, calculator watches and walkmans that we have to put positive feedback in one area, and negative in another.

However, I do see the Mods viewpoint - it's my understanding that the sales area is somewhat of a bonus that we even have it here, and they probably don't give a about it and would like to keep it as minimal of a hassle as they can.

Combining feedback areas will no doubt lead to endless babysitting, button humping and constant requests that posts be deleted.

However, if accurate feedback is ever going to be part of this community, I think it has to be combined into one area where people can check easily and quickly.

We made a trade deal back on 3/11/13 and he still has not sent my book or responded to any of my pm's. I sent his books which valued up to $300 on 3/18/13 and the last time I even heard from him was on the 4/20/13. So now I think I got scammed and don't know what to do. Thoughts? Thanks

Bryan

Sounds PL worthy. Mikey1215 has 18 posts, most of which are for a failed sales thread. Sadly, I'd wager this guy has moved on.

As far as being able to do anything about your trade - I don't know. How is that handled on the PL? How do you take action against a person who just makes off with your trade books?

Well how about a "star" rating system then.

IN the kudos thead, there could just be a rating based on a low score of "one" star to a high score of "five" stars. Possibly include a link to the transaction as well just so we know what was purchased.

Notation can read "please PM this buyer to see what he did or did not like with the transaction with said boardie.

Obviously those with one star... you would PM the boardie about while those with four or five really wouldn't matter.

One could scroll down the boardie's kudos thread looking for a massive amount of low scored stars and then decide weather or not they want to deal with said seller.

Mods don't have to police it... no one knows whats going on unless they want to... and privacy is pretty much maintained.

No sure how well this will work with behind the scenes transactions though. hm

Bryan

Sounds PL worthy. Mikey1215 has 18 posts, most of which are for a failed sales thread. Sadly, I'd wager this guy has moved on.

As far as being able to do anything about your trade - I don't know. How is that handled on the PL? How do you take action against a person who just makes off with your trade books?

Shouldnt be any difference. Trade or sale, he's still out $300 worth of books (thumbs u

That's what I'm thinking. Out the $300 in books. And was the first time on the boards here with a bad transaction. I just want him on the PL so no one else gets swindled like I did. From here is where that will happen, right?

That's what I'm thinking. Out the $300 in books. And was the first time on the boards here with a bad transaction. I just want him on the PL so no one else gets swindled like I did. From here is where that will happen, right?

This might be actionable through law enforcement.

IN the kudos thead, there could just be a rating based on a low score of "one" star to a high score of "five" stars. Possibly include a link to the transaction as well just so we know what was purchased.

Notation can read "please PM this buyer to see what he did or did not like with the transaction with said boardie.

Obviously those with one star... you would PM the boardie about while those with four or five really wouldn't matter.

One could scroll down the boardie's kudos thread looking for a massive amount of low scored stars and then decide weather or not they want to deal with said seller.

Mods don't have to police it... no one knows whats going on unless they want to... and privacy is pretty much maintained.

Sounds good to me.

I know Arch set the original parameters, but he might be amenable to a change if there seemed to be strong support for it. If there is enough support here perhaps we could start a thread in CG to solicit the views of people who rarely check the PL thread.

I think the next step is to PM him linking to your post here and giving him a chance to reply. If he ignores the PM, I believe you are ok to add him to PL.

I like this concept - it's a non-combative way that serves to average out a persons reputation. Most of my online non-comic purchases are dictated by how well a product gets reviewed by hundreds or thousands of people. It definitely makes me feel more confident about my purchase. I would imagine it could do the same for seller reputations.

We had stars for threads years ago and when some (cough Cal) etc, would get less than 5, there would be hell to pay.

I just just see it now...Rupp, I really am not happy with your packaging, I know you are smoking cigars. and I know you got these old newspapers from Bosco, besides,I don't like the color tape you used..so I'm just going to give you 3 stars...

5 THREADS LATER in General, I'm cringing;)

(this example is totally made up, of course he does not smoke cigars)

Anyway, I think it would create a lot more animosity.

Edited by skypinkblu