• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sunday Comics and dailies
4 4

388 posts in this topic

I know we had a place for discussing Sunday comics but it hasn't been used in a while.

I am trying to photograph Sunday pages that I purchased and post them in a thread for comments and comparison to other reprints and comics. Hope you have something to show.

8689095686_5e32effeda_b.jpg

November 3, 1935

Edited by BB-Gun

Great new thread...look forward to seeing what is shown!

Sunday Morning for me in the 40's was listening to Uncle Don on

WOR Radio reading the "Funnies" from the New York Journal

American...including the PHANTOM, JIGGS & MAGGIE, etc.

Sorry, I was unable to hold onto the comic sections...holding onto

my collection of comic books was enough.

mm

Great stuff BB-Gun. I especially like the full Flash/ Thimble Sundays with toppers. I never paid any attention to the Superman Sundays before but they look really good.

There are plenty of great strip reprint books out lately but it's still cool to see the real Sunday pages.

[font:Times New Roman]Great thread! :applause:

The daily below is a latter day example of the Secret Agent X-9 strip originated by Dashiell Hammett and Alex Raymond that evolved into Secret Agent Corrigan during it's long run for King Features.

This page was produced by the late Al Williamson. Even though it technically isn't GA, I think it fits into this thread nicely given it's legacy.

Sorry about the quality of the shot, I just uploaded it from my IPad.[/font] :sorry:

0a76e5ff-d375-416f-9fc4-91e1a1a3f7f5_zpsfd39930b.jpg

For us italians the newspaper format was the staple format of comics publications, at least up to 1949.

We did not have much comic strips running on newspapers. Rather, the idea of italian publishers was to turn the table and making the tabloid or larger formats the standard format for comics, starting in 1934.

I collect just a single title (which had been the very first to publish italian material alone). This is a 1945 issue which i already posted in another discussion (this one is from the bounded collection of a friend):

aHdgNN8.jpg

It is particularly significant, as "Il Vittorioso" was one of the few publications to presents a story featuring partisans, a few months after the liberation of Italy.

Artist on this one is the very fine Raffaele Paparella, which later on would have left the pen to experiment with brush styles.

Edited by vaillant

When it comes to beautiful full page Sunday comics, Frank King's great Gasoline Alley can't be beat in my book.

Famously, Uncle Walt and Skeezix aged during the strip's decades-long run - but for us comic fans, they'll live forever.

Here's a 1931 Sunday with an incredible King layout.

9f3ac0070192aef15cb6bbb977d55518.jpg