• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Short-Lived Titles of the Golden Age
3 3

131 posts in this topic

Wasn't Rocket Comics continued in Canada with cover reprints of other books.

I believe they had some key covers (from other titles) reprinted.

Edited by Rip

Here is a title that screams early GA......

734336-1mir1.jpg

734336-1mir2.jpg

734336-1mir3.jpg

734336-1mir4.jpg

From an old CBM article Iwrote here is some info on this title...jon

MIRACLE COMICS

The late 1930s and early 1940s were full of companies attempting to carve a niche in the fast-growing comic industry. Some titles (and publishers for that matter) vanished before readers even knew they existed. It is time to dust off the old comic box again. This time we are going to view Miracle Comics, published in 1940 and 1941 by Hillman Publications.

Miracle Comics was the first foray of Hillman Publications, a publisher of paperbacks, into the growing comic book industry. None of its early titles (Victory Comics and Rocket Comics) lasted beyond issue 4. In fact, only with Air Fighters/Airboy Comics and Clue Comics was Hillman able to leave any lasting mark on the golden age.

Miracle Comics was your typical anthology title featuring “super-hero”, jungle, crime-fighting and comedy characters. The continuing lead feature of Miracle Comics was “Sky Wizard”. First appearing in an issue dated February 1940, Sky Wizard was actually alot of fun. His first adventure was continued over three issues (February through April 1940) (His last adventure appeared in issue 4 which was not published until March 1941.)

Sky Wizard (his real name was never given) was the world’s greatest inventor. He built a “stratosphere plane” for which he hired Capt. Dare to test fly to China. Sky Wizard is outfitted in a red uniform with his trusty paralyzer gun” strapped to his hip. (In fact a “Sky Wizard paralyzer gun is offered free for the best five hundred letters submitted on the first issue.) He goes back to his secret lab in Texas with Dare’s kids to observe the test flight on his “directional telray machine”.

Unbeknowst to S.W. is that Hawk Armand and Vera the Tigress and their gang have been hired by “The Unholy One” (known as “U.O.” to his gang) to steal the plans for the plane. Armand and Vera are warned, that should they fail, they will die the “death of a thousand slashes”.

Upon return to the lab, Sky Wizard and the kids observe Capt. Dare and the plane captured. They decide they will set off to the rescue the following day. However, that night, while S.W. is working on his “powerstrength” formula for the rescue (to be derived from an “ant virus” to give him the proportional strengh of an ant), the crooks overpower his man-servant and kidnap the kids, who the crooks will hold for ransom in exchange for the plans.

S.W. rescues them (with the use of his paralyzing gun which shoots a “Q” Beam) and returns to his lab and starts inflating the ground under his lab. As it turns out, the ground underneath is one large balloon, which he is filling with helium to travel to the rescue of Capt. Dare. As he is about to leave, the crooks arrive and more than one falls to their doom as the flying sky island rises into the air. Thus ends the installment in issue one. The action and adventure continues in a non-stop fashion as the second issue picks up the story as the “comic serial” continues.

As the second issue opens, Hawk Armand finds a bit of “rubberium” clutched in the hand of the dead crook who had fallen from the flying island. Armand calculates the vibration frequency necessary to cause problems and transmits it to the island which results in near catastrophic stability problems until S.W. is able to turn the vibrations back against Hawk. Undaunted, Hawk and his cohorts steal a plane and head to Guatemala where S.W. has been sighted.

For amusement the Dare’s kids are given rocket-chute flyers that allow them to soar. Unfortunately, one of the kids is attacked by a condor who disables the flyer and causes the kid to fall to the ground where they are captured by Hawk who has just arrived.

Threatening to kill the kids, S.W. allows Armand and his gang to land on the island. Sky Wizard and his man-servant are tied up by Hawk who is heading with the airplane plans to the secret kingdom of the Unholy One in the Himalayas.

Fortunately, S.W. is able to escape from his ropes and turns the tables on his captors, locking them up. As the second issue comes to a close, all are ready for their arrival in the secret kingdom.

As the third issue opens, the Sky Wizard is looking out from his island at Tibet when he is pushed off the island by a gang member, who has escaped his confinement. Both S.W. and the crook tumble off the island. Fortunately, they have a parachute but the crook knocks S.W. unconscious as they fall. S.W. would have fallen to his death, but he is caught in mid-air by a flying mountainman. The other members of the gang follow to the ground and a fight breaks out with other mountainmen who over power them and take him to the UO. The flying mountainmen are lackeys of The Unholy One.

Refusing to give him the plans to his invention, S.W. is sent to the chamber of tortures where, after resisting the flame torture, he gives up . However, his capitulation is only a ruse to escape, and he does, and runs into Capt Dare. Attempting escape, they are both captured again. So too is his man-servant who brings some ant virus so that S.W. may revitalize himself. Condemned to the chamber of a thousand slashes, the power formula kicks in and he destroys the device and the lair of the U.O. The Sky Wizard commands the UO to have his mountainman take them back to his flying island. Once there, U.O. trys to stab S.W. in the back but falls to his doom instead. Enraged at the death of their leader, the flying mountainmen commence an allout attack, but are driven off by balloons filled with triple nitro. Thus ends the first adventure. Whew!!

This adventure must have really exhausted the Sky Wizard because he did not return for his next (and final) adventure until March 1941. (Worthy of some mention is that the the third issue contains a full page panel which had started to creep into some comic titles- “Slam Bradley”, Detective Comics 12 (February 1938), “Navy Jones” Science Comics 2 (March 1940) and “The Cyclone”, Whirlwind Comics 1 (June 1940)).That story has the Sky Wizard fight giant flying robots who commit robberies. The story is very reminiscent of the Superman cartoon, “Mechanical Monsters” , produced by the Fleisher studios also in 1941.

The other recurring characters, as stated above were the standard fare appearing in the anthology titles. There was “K-7 Secret Agent”, “Dusty Doyle, The Circus Cyclone”, “Pinkie Parker the Kid Cop”, and “Blanda the Jungle Queen” representing the typical character genres. The third issue added “Bill Colt the Ghost Rider” (“Ranger Bill Colt, whose uncanny ability for turning up when trouble brews, is known throughout the west as the Ghost Rider. His lightning draw and smashing fists spell doom to outlaws of the range”.) for the mandatory western genre.

The crime genre is handled by the “Scorpion”, who is the “terror of the underworld”. He has no gimmicks or costume. In fact, he just sort of wanders about the strip as action falls into his lap. The other crime-fighter is the “Masked Angel, Nemesis of Crime”. Steve Oakes’ father is killed by gangsters and he becomes a one man vigilante hunted by criminals and police alike. He wears a mask, resembling “The Clock” which was being published by Quality Comics.

The final character of any “note” is “Dash Dixon”. Dixon is a “superb athelete” who works for the police. He is assigned to protect Dr. Lorenz, a famous inventor, who is working on the secret of perpetual life. After saving his life, Dixon volunteers to have the process used on him. He is infused with “perpetual life rays”, which are contained in his body by means of a special uniform. He returns to the police force as a “super man”.

Although of no particular importance, Miracle Comics is worth a look for the collector looking for early oddball golden age titles which attempted to find a formula to make a mark and a buck in the increasingly lucrative comicbook industry.

Jon Berk c. 2005

734336-1mir4.jpg.041b04438d4d60c732fbb005583640ef.jpg

Jon, who did the covers for Miracle Comics? A notch above in quality compared to the usual obscure title circa 1940. The style looks familiar.

Regarding Space Western, I surprised to read in the latest CBM that the title was created and written by Walter (The Shadow) Gibson.

Jon, who did the covers for Miracle Comics? A notch above in quality compared to the usual obscure title circa 1940. The style looks familiar.

Regarding Space Western, I surprised to read in the latest CBM that the title was created and written by Walter (The Shadow) Gibson.

sorry i do not know....but the images are bold and brash....just what makes these books great

Jon,

thank you so much for the information and the scans from your collection you've been putting up here for all of us to see.

I don't want to miss any Berk insights you're providing us so I went back and drew up this Berk Bibliography to see which articles I should print for my records. I show you had in CBM:

Wow What a Magazine CBM 11 [You put this up here]

Love and Death (Censorship before Wertham) CBM 20

Spider and Arrow CBM 22

You only live thrice (Cap Am etc) CBM 24

Science Comics CBM 25

Champ Comics CBM 27

Comic Box Early Hillman CBM 30

Suspense 3 and All New 8 CBM 32

Crash Comics CBM 33

Squarebounds CBM 35

Superworld Comics CBM 38

Black Condor + other Lou Fine articles CBM 39

Amazing Man Comics CBM 46 [You put this up here]

National Comics CBM 48

Grading Forum CBM 68

Lamont Larson Update CBM 71

Esoteric Oddities CBM 75 [You put up here the Mad Hatter part]

I was then wondering if the following you recently posted were published in CBM and I missed in the above checklist (if so I'll go back and find where and let people know or do you yourself know?):

FORGOTTEN FUNNIES : SHORT-LIVED TITLES OF THE GOLDENAGE

SPACE WESTERN COMICS

MIRACLE COMICS

THE CLOCK (which you said was the first published)

I have been in awe of your collection since you've been writing your articles and esp. since the feature about your collection in CBM 35 (see scan below). I never quite liked how they emphasized value when obviously you care about the books and the medium history. I had been envious (not jealous) of your collection but now that we got to know you, you are probably the best person to be the repository of these historical books. Thanks for everything thumbsup2.gif

734466-JBCollection.jpg

734466-JBCollection.jpg.a89f4b581d7530ac009ea361380d7907.jpg

thanks for the kind words (and listing of CBM artilces)

I have more articles....some got printed in the six issue overstreet square bounds.....i had two articles in one issue so....consistent with the golden age i signed that piece "Noj Kreb"

recently....did a chelser piece in 92 0r 93....scoop reproduced it.....a large article on Fox....which now can be found at comicartville.com in the library...jon

since alot of this stuff is obscure....one way to 'share' is to write about it, I find being able to post covers with the articles can work....

foreheadslap.gif How could I forget the Chesler piece? It was one of the best illustrated pieces. I admit that I stopped checking my CBMs after Gary left the editorship as I thought you'd become scarce after that time, but now that you mention it, yes! For those caring, it is in Issue 91.

The Fox feature was The Weird, Wonder(ous) World of Victor Fox's Fantastic Mystery Men in issue 107.

B-Littled Golden Age Titles in 108.

Creation of Re-creations in 113 (cover listed as 112)

Good Clean Fun - Collecting New Fun Memorabilia in 116

(My LCS is still holding 115, 117 - 119 for me)

Going through these, there is also in 85: Ain't it a wonder! Unpublished art from Eisner's Wonderman #2.

I only have Issues 1 and 2 of the Overstreet / CBM and no articles from you in these.

Thanks for the info.

foreheadslap.gif How could I forget the Chesler piece? It was one of the best illustrated pieces. I admit that I stopped checking my CBMs after Gary left the editorship as I thought you'd become scarce after that time, but now that you mention it, yes! For those caring, it is in Issue 91.

The Fox feature was The Weird, Wonder(ous) World of Victor Fox's Fantastic Mystery Men in issue 107.

B-Littled Golden Age Titles in 108.

Creation of Re-creations in 113 (cover listed as 112)

Good Clean Fun - Collecting New Fun Memorabilia in 116

(My LCS is still holding 115, 117 - 119 for me)

Going through these, there is also in 85: Ain't it a wonder! Unpublished art from Eisner's Wonderman #2.

I only have Issues 1 and 2 of the Overstreet / CBM and no articles from you in these.

Thanks for the info.

Actually my first article on Lamont Larson "broke" in Quarterly 6

My CBM fox article has been reproduced on the web with many pictures by Ken Quattro who did a great job with it.

http://www.comicartville.com/victorfox.htm

SPACE WESTERN COMICS

MIRACLE COMICS

Three of these I know appeared in the squarebound books Jon referred to (He mentions 6 issues, but I only remember 5).

The publishing history of those books is a tale in itself. The series was originally titled Overstreet's Advanced Collector, then switched to Overstreet's Golden Age Quarterly for issue 2; the remainder were titled Gold & Silver, Overstreet's Comic Book Quarterly.

#1 contains the 'Wow, What a Magazine!' article, apparently a reprint.

#3 has a piece by Jon on the ultra-obscure Famous Comics from '34-'35

#4 has the Space Western article.

#5 has the Clock article, plus the Short-Lived Titles piece focusing on Whirlwind Comics.

I don't have #2, that may be where the Miracle article appeared.

Hope this helps.

yay.gif

VG+, Thank you! You bet it helps; it's all clear now. I have never seen these and I am glad you filled in the information for me. At the very least, it confirms my original impression that I'd better print and bind these few articles whose list you quote because I'd never seen them in my CBM collection.

SPACE WESTERN COMICS

MIRACLE COMICS

Three of these I know appeared in the squarebound books Jon referred to (He mentions 6 issues, but I only remember 5).

The publishing history of those books is a tale in itself. The series was originally titled Overstreet's Advanced Collector, then switched to Overstreet's Golden Age Quarterly for issue 2; the remainder were titled Gold & Silver, Overstreet's Comic Book Quarterly.

#1 contains the 'Wow, What a Magazine!' article, apparently a reprint.

#3 has a piece by Jon on the ultra-obscure Famous Comics from '34-'35

#4 has the Space Western article.

#5 has the Clock article, plus the Short-Lived Titles piece focusing on Whirlwind Comics.

I don't have #2, that may be where the Miracle article appeared.

Hope this helps.

yay.gif

okay now you made me dig my out

#2 has a chart i did on Atlas-Seaboard Comics on their titles and a letter i did on the controverys between Submariner first in Marvel 1 or Motion Picture Funnies Weekly

#6 (Oct 1994) has my Larson article and an article on Circus Comics

#5 the whirlwind article i signed as Noj Kreb...

These square bounds have great covers and great info....generally not as well distributed as other CBMs esp. the 6..... 734641-1cbm6.jpg

734641-1cbm6.jpg.65053af884c35cfa5abfd06c48fb1167.jpg