Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>
Topic Options
#661530 - 02/26/05 11:31 AM Re: Miracle Comics [Re: jbcomicbox]
rjpb Online   content
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Socal
Jon, who did the covers for Miracle Comics? A notch above in quality compared to the usual obscure title circa 1940. The style looks familiar.

Regarding Space Western, I surprised to read in the latest CBM that the title was created and written by Walter (The Shadow) Gibson.

#661531 - 02/26/05 11:49 AM Re: Miracle Comics [Re: rjpb]
jbcomicbox Offline
Chatzilla

Quote:

Jon, who did the covers for Miracle Comics? A notch above in quality compared to the usual obscure title circa 1940. The style looks familiar.

Regarding Space Western, I surprised to read in the latest CBM that the title was created and written by Walter (The Shadow) Gibson.

sorry i do not know....but the images are bold and brash....just what makes these books great

#661532 - 02/26/05 01:19 PM Re: Miracle Comics [Re: jbcomicbox]
Scrooge Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Midwest
Jon,

thank you so much for the information and the scans from your collection you've been putting up here for all of us to see.

I don't want to miss any Berk insights you're providing us so I went back and drew up this Berk Bibliography to see which articles I should print for my records. I show you had in CBM:

Wow What a Magazine CBM 11 [You put this up here]
Love and Death (Censorship before Wertham) CBM 20
Spider and Arrow CBM 22
You only live thrice (Cap Am etc) CBM 24
Science Comics CBM 25
Champ Comics CBM 27
Comic Box Early Hillman CBM 30
Suspense 3 and All New 8 CBM 32
Crash Comics CBM 33
Squarebounds CBM 35
Superworld Comics CBM 38
Black Condor + other Lou Fine articles CBM 39
Amazing Man Comics CBM 46 [You put this up here]
National Comics CBM 48
Grading Forum CBM 68
Lamont Larson Update CBM 71
Esoteric Oddities CBM 75 [You put up here the Mad Hatter part]

I was then wondering if the following you recently posted were published in CBM and I missed in the above checklist (if so I'll go back and find where and let people know or do you yourself know?):

FORGOTTEN FUNNIES : SHORT-LIVED TITLES OF THE GOLDENAGE
SPACE WESTERN COMICS
MIRACLE COMICS
THE CLOCK (which you said was the first published)

I have been in awe of your collection since you've been writing your articles and esp. since the feature about your collection in CBM 35 (see scan below). I never quite liked how they emphasized value when obviously you care about the books and the medium history. I had been envious (not jealous) of your collection but now that we got to know you, you are probably the best person to be the repository of these historical books. Thanks for everything

Attachments
734466-JBCollection.jpg (65 downloads)
Description:

#661533 - 02/26/05 02:31 PM Re: Miracle Comics [Re: Scrooge]
jbcomicbox Offline
Chatzilla

thanks for the kind words (and listing of CBM artilces)

I have more articles....some got printed in the six issue overstreet square bounds.....i had two articles in one issue so....consistent with the golden age i signed that piece "Noj Kreb"

recently....did a chelser piece in 92 0r 93....scoop reproduced it.....a large article on Fox....which now can be found at comicartville.com in the library...jon

since alot of this stuff is obscure....one way to 'share' is to write about it, I find being able to post covers with the articles can work....

#661534 - 02/26/05 03:02 PM Re: Miracle Comics [Re: jbcomicbox]
Scrooge Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

How could I forget the Chesler piece? It was one of the best illustrated pieces. I admit that I stopped checking my CBMs after Gary left the editorship as I thought you'd become scarce after that time, but now that you mention it, yes! For those caring, it is in Issue 91.

The Fox feature was The Weird, Wonder(ous) World of Victor Fox's Fantastic Mystery Men in issue 107.

B-Littled Golden Age Titles in 108.

Creation of Re-creations in 113 (cover listed as 112)

Good Clean Fun - Collecting New Fun Memorabilia in 116

(My LCS is still holding 115, 117 - 119 for me)

Going through these, there is also in 85: Ain't it a wonder! Unpublished art from Eisner's Wonderman #2.

I only have Issues 1 and 2 of the Overstreet / CBM and no articles from you in these.

Thanks for the info.

#661535 - 02/26/05 03:34 PM Re: Miracle Comics [Re: Scrooge]
jbcomicbox Offline
Chatzilla

Quote:

How could I forget the Chesler piece? It was one of the best illustrated pieces. I admit that I stopped checking my CBMs after Gary left the editorship as I thought you'd become scarce after that time, but now that you mention it, yes! For those caring, it is in Issue 91.

The Fox feature was The Weird, Wonder(ous) World of Victor Fox's Fantastic Mystery Men in issue 107.

B-Littled Golden Age Titles in 108.

Creation of Re-creations in 113 (cover listed as 112)

Good Clean Fun - Collecting New Fun Memorabilia in 116

(My LCS is still holding 115, 117 - 119 for me)

Going through these, there is also in 85: Ain't it a wonder! Unpublished art from Eisner's Wonderman #2.

I only have Issues 1 and 2 of the Overstreet / CBM and no articles from you in these.

Thanks for the info.

Actually my first article on Lamont Larson "broke" in Quarterly 6

My CBM fox article has been reproduced on the web with many pictures by Ken Quattro who did a great job with it.

http://www.comicartville.com/victorfox.htm

#661536 - 02/26/05 03:47 PM Re: Miracle Comics [Re: Scrooge]
verygoodplus Offline
(S)uper Collector

Quote:

SPACE WESTERN COMICS
MIRACLE COMICS

Three of these I know appeared in the squarebound books Jon referred to (He mentions 6 issues, but I only remember 5).

The publishing history of those books is a tale in itself. The series was originally titled Overstreet's Advanced Collector, then switched to Overstreet's Golden Age Quarterly for issue 2; the remainder were titled Gold & Silver, Overstreet's Comic Book Quarterly.

#1 contains the 'Wow, What a Magazine!' article, apparently a reprint.

#3 has a piece by Jon on the ultra-obscure Famous Comics from '34-'35

#4 has the Space Western article.

#5 has the Clock article, plus the Short-Lived Titles piece focusing on Whirlwind Comics.

I don't have #2, that may be where the Miracle article appeared.

Hope this helps.

#661537 - 02/26/05 04:40 PM Re: Miracle Comics [Re: verygoodplus]
Scrooge Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

VG+, Thank you! You bet it helps; it's all clear now. I have never seen these and I am glad you filled in the information for me. At the very least, it confirms my original impression that I'd better print and bind these few articles whose list you quote because I'd never seen them in my CBM collection.

#661538 - 02/26/05 04:52 PM Re: Miracle Comics [Re: verygoodplus]
jbcomicbox Offline
Chatzilla

Quote:

Quote:

SPACE WESTERN COMICS
MIRACLE COMICS

Three of these I know appeared in the squarebound books Jon referred to (He mentions 6 issues, but I only remember 5).

The publishing history of those books is a tale in itself. The series was originally titled Overstreet's Advanced Collector, then switched to Overstreet's Golden Age Quarterly for issue 2; the remainder were titled Gold & Silver, Overstreet's Comic Book Quarterly.

#1 contains the 'Wow, What a Magazine!' article, apparently a reprint.

#3 has a piece by Jon on the ultra-obscure Famous Comics from '34-'35

#4 has the Space Western article.

#5 has the Clock article, plus the Short-Lived Titles piece focusing on Whirlwind Comics.

I don't have #2, that may be where the Miracle article appeared.

Hope this helps.

okay now you made me dig my out

#2 has a chart i did on Atlas-Seaboard Comics on their titles and a letter i did on the controverys between Submariner first in Marvel 1 or Motion Picture Funnies Weekly

#6 (Oct 1994) has my Larson article and an article on Circus Comics

#5 the whirlwind article i signed as Noj Kreb...

These square bounds have great covers and great info....generally not as well distributed as other CBMs esp. the 6.....

Attachments
734641-1cbm6.jpg (66 downloads)
Description:

#661539 - 02/26/05 05:16 PM Re: Miracle Comics [Re: jbcomicbox]
verygoodplus Offline
(S)uper Collector

Quote:

Thanks - I've never seen that one before!

Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>

Moderator:  Gemma, cgcmod, cgcmod2, Harshen, cgcmod3, dena, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod7, CCGmod0, cgcmod8, Barbara T, Matt Nelson, cgcmod9, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
20 Piece Odd Silver Lot
by Hibou
Yesterday at 08:50 PM
Modern Commemorative mint package sets
by Six Mile Rick
Yesterday at 08:15 PM
WTB 2014-P 5 oz ATB Smoky Mountains 25C NGC SP70 Early Releases
by NamesJay
Yesterday at 03:32 PM
1921 Peace dollars for sale
by Nutmeg Coin
Yesterday at 11:40 AM
Comics Marketplace
Walking Dead 24 CGC 9.8 Sale
by dead_clone
49 minutes 58 seconds ago
X-Men 1, Blonde Phantom 16 & World’s Finest Comics 3 in this Sunday’s Auction
by HeritageComics
Today at 12:44 AM
Walking Dad Variant Package of 4 (#1con variants chicago, st louis, #100 escape)
by ZGagnon
Yesterday at 11:39 PM
"Whoa. Ladies. I need names and shots. Bartender!" (Fantastic Four 1)
by rfoiii
Yesterday at 10:45 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.013 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

ComicLink - Comics & Comic Art Auctions & Exchange 125 x 125 - Geppi's Entertainment Museum