Page 78 of 81 « First<7677787980>Last »
Topic Options
#6546273 - 03/26/13 09:42 AM Re: Collectors of baseball cards striking out [Re: Hepcat]
zuckuss2003 Offline
FACT if I stop posting, trillions and trillions of transistors would be out of work.

Loc: Baltimore
 Originally Posted By: Hepcat
How prevalent in your neck of the woods was the game where players flung their cards up against a brick wall and the player whose card landed on top of one of the others won all the cards? Not the greatest thing for corners of course....

\?\?\?

We did this a lot, also a version where we rolled dice instead to keep the cards "mint". I remember the day a stack got full and I lost my Elway rookie. Never gambled for cards after that.

#6546279 - 03/26/13 09:43 AM Re: Collectors of baseball cards striking out [Re: Postal]
Hepcat Offline
Pedigreed

Loc: Toronto
We didn't just flip the cards. We flung them six to twenty feet against the nearest wall, winner take all! Hell on the corners.

\:o

Edited by Hepcat (03/26/13 04:25 PM)

#6588723 - 04/08/13 01:17 PM Re: Collectors of baseball cards striking out [Re: Hepcat]
Hepcat Offline
Pedigreed

So a 1909 Honus Wagner card PSA graded only 5(MC) just traded for $2,105,770.50. And collectors of baseball cards are striking out? No, only the fool johnny-come-lately speculators that surged lemming like into newly issued baseball cards in the early nineties have struck out. And it looks good on them.

;\)

#6588762 - 04/08/13 01:30 PM Re: Collectors of baseball cards striking out [Re: Hepcat]
AGGIEZ Offline

Did you really just "Funny post" your own post?

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Tejas, Houston
One card does not a hobby make...

#6588827 - 04/08/13 01:50 PM Re: Collectors of baseball cards striking out [Re: AGGIEZ]
Jeffro Offline

Speaking as myself, I don't deserve anything.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Collecting Pernts
 Originally Posted By: AGGIEZ

+1 \(worship\)

#6588848 - 04/08/13 01:57 PM Re: Collectors of baseball cards striking out [Re: AGGIEZ]
Erndog Offline
If you have a dream about out-posting me, you better wake up and apologize.

Loc: Ontario, Canada

Agreed.

I was in full force in the hockey/baseball card world for 10 years. I worked at a sportscard store that dealt heavily online and at trade shows.

Although I always loved comics I could never afford the stuff I truly liked until a few years ago.

Long story short, I collected cards for 10 years, then the last few years I stopped cards and focused solely on comics.

Cards as a whole are NOTHING compared to comics. Nadda. Not even in the same ballpark (excuse the pun).

Ernie's Kudos

#6588933 - 04/08/13 02:24 PM Re: Collectors of baseball cards striking out [Re: Erndog]
Dmac538 Offline
Chatzilla

Loc: New York City
 Originally Posted By: Erndog

Agreed.

I was in full force in the hockey/baseball card world for 10 years. I worked at a sportscard store that dealt heavily online and at trade shows.

Although I always loved comics I could never afford the stuff I truly liked until a few years ago.

Long story short, I collected cards for 10 years, then the last few years I stopped cards and focused solely on comics.

Cards as a whole are NOTHING compared to comics. Nadda. Not even in the same ballpark (excuse the pun).

I totally agree, just sent cards in to PSA just to see if i could make some money from all the Hall of Famers i have, waste of money.

#6588946 - 04/08/13 02:29 PM Re: Collectors of baseball cards striking out [Re: Dmac538]
originalisbest Offline
If you have a dream about out-posting me, you better wake up and apologize.

Thought the Honus would go for 2 mil plus...

As for your Hall of Famers waste of $ at PSA, it's not PSA's fault you didn't make $ on them. Did you waste your time sending in VG-EX but expecting NM-MT results?

That would be akin to expecting a VG+ ASM 39 to get a price result as if it were a 9.6 or 9.8. Gotta learn to grade.
Wanted: coverless Journey Into Mystery #5, More Fun #61 front and back covers! Also in need of a nice complete front and back Action 252 cover!

#6589339 - 04/08/13 04:33 PM Re: Collectors of baseball cards striking out [Re: AGGIEZ]
Hepcat Offline
Pedigreed

Agreed. But you're missing my point.

My point is that the market for vintage cards never disappeared. The only "market" that collapsed was for cards from the late eighties onward. But that "market" was just a shell game. It was all just a pyramid scam by dealers to lure naive buyers into hoarding product that they could order in unlimited quantity. There was never really a market for these latter day cards, so to talk of this "market" collapsing is an oxymoron.

#6589352 - 04/08/13 04:40 PM Re: Collectors of baseball cards striking out [Re: Hepcat]
chrisco37 Offline

I think mine is coming up soon

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Caltopia
 Originally Posted By: Hepcat

Agreed. But you're missing my point.

My point is that the market for vintage cards never disappeared. The only "market" that collapsed was for cards from the late eighties onward. But that "market" was just a shell game. It was all just a pyramid scam by dealers to lure naive buyers into hoarding product that they could order in unlimited quantity. There was never really a market for these latter day cards, so to talk of this "market" collapsing is an oxymoron.

Now why does this sound familiar? I know I've heard it before, but just can't place it. Some other hobby, perhaps? hm

Page 78 of 81 « First<7677787980>Last »

Moderator:  Gemma, plitch, cgcmod3, cgcmod, cgcmod2, Harshen, scaffrey, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod7, CCGmod0, cgcmod8, Barbara T, cgcmod9, Matt Nelson, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, PaulS., ccgmod1 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
FSH; BU roll 1964 P Kennedy halves, $200
by cucamongacoin
Yesterday at 07:26 PM
FSH; $500 FRN VF with a problem *SOLD*
by cucamongacoin
Yesterday at 07:25 PM
1942 Walking Liberty NGC PF 67 CAC
by Mark T
Yesterday at 05:32 PM
1888 Liberty Seated Dime NGC MS 65 CAC
by Mark T
Yesterday at 05:28 PM
Comics Marketplace
TPB's and squarebounds anything large size. About 5 boxes worth
by comicnut
40 minutes 4 seconds ago
ASM 361 High Grade
by theTrust
45 minutes 2 seconds ago
Avengers #93, Top Cat #1, Magilla Gorilla #1 and more
by alrioart
Yesterday at 11:58 PM
$1.00 AUCTION* INCREDIBLE HULK #110,122,124(2) & More 25 issues ENDS 8PM TUESDAY
by comicartcom
Yesterday at 11:39 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.065 seconds in which 0.055 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

IDW Publishing