• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
18 18

3,699 posts in this topic

I've never heard of anyone throwing away 300 copies of #1 in Boston or anywhere else. I think stating this is "fact" and then substantiating this with proof of "from what I was told by someone" is irresponsible. Post a reliable documented source for your claim or don't call it fact...call it hearsay (at best).

Ok let's try this again. I should have worded it differently for sure looking back at it. I thought it was an interesting story I had been told, and being that this is the thread for all things TMNT #1 related, I wanted to share it. I personally have no reason not to believe what I was told, but neither I or anyone else will probably able to prove whether this is fact or fiction.

I'm sorry that I didn't think about it more before I posted it.

I still can't believe the prices of 2nd prints right now. I always keep my eyes open and when they do pop up the ask and/or sell prices are bananas. I should probably snag a 3rd print soon before they become unobtainable.

Months ago, the boards helped me discover my #1 "first printing" was fake. I'd like to report that I've rectified the situation:

osziig.jpg

:banana:

Awesome! Did CGC incorrectly identify your prior copy as a 1st print? What was it, a 2nd print? Counterfeit?

Months ago, the boards helped me discover my #1 "first printing" was fake. I'd like to report that I've rectified the situation:

osziig.jpg

Awesome! Did CGC incorrectly identify your prior copy as a 1st print? What was it, a 2nd print? Counterfeit?

I remember this. It was a raw counterfeit.

The cover was off slightly, and we figured out it was a 3rd print interior with a fake cover. We figured it out because of the grey tone shading on the inside pages, the interior of the cover was obviously trimmed to fit a 3rd print, and spracknetch told us the outer cover looked off to him in person.

Congrats on picking up a 1st print Spracknetch! I'm happy for you!

osziig.jpg

update for spracknetch23! Congrats!

TMNT #1

TMNTHeritageAuction.jpg

Blue Label: 36 copies

Yellow Label: 6 copies

Purple Label: 1 copy

Raw: 9 copies

Total: 52 copies :applause:

CGC Universal:

9.8 (W) telerites (No pic)

9.8 (OWW) pubmonkey (page 42)

9.6 (W) icculus308win (page 14)

9.6 (W) USArmyParatrooper (page 39) Signed by Eastman and Laird on inside front cover

9.4 (OW) Detroit Mike (page 2)

9.4 (W) Cyberjad (page 13) Signed by Eastman and Laird on inside front cover

9.4 (W) campued1010 (page 16)

9.4 Rabidwolf (No pic)

9.2 (W) TMNT (page 1) Signed by Eastman and Laird on inside front cover

9.2 (W) tornay (page 44)

9.2 (OWW) Jeffreykli (page 1)

9.2 (W) accessndx (page 62)

9.0 (W) Stronguy (page 18)

9.0 (W) proventheory (page 26)

9.0 (W) JesterSB (page 45)

9.0 (OWW) hulk181man (page 27)

9.0 Peter Palmer (page 9)

8.5 (W) ChadH (page 41)

8.5 (W) mikeggg (page 63)

8.5 (OWW) whetteon (page 29)

8.5 (OWW) spracknetch23 (page 65)

8.5 Rabidwolf (No pic)

8.5 Rabidwolf (No pic)

8.0 (W) Stronguy (page 18)

8.0 (W) TheAmazing R.J.S. (page 33) Signed by Eastman and salutation on inside front cover

8.0 (OWW) Comic Book Guy (page 31)

8.0 Rabidwolf (No pic)

7.5 (W) DevilsRain (page 4)

7.5 (W) maloney414 (page 31) Signed & Sketch by Eastman on back of slab

7.5 joker-fish (page 25)

7.5 Rabidwolf (No pic)

7.0 (W) lookwhoitis (page 55)

7.0 Ogami (No pic) Signed & Sketched by Eastman and Laird

6.0 (W) thebends1996 (page 25)

6.0 Robbussum (page 27)

6.0 Rabidwolf (No pic)

CGC SIGNATURE SERIES

9.0 SlinginWeb (No pic) Signed by Eastman and Laird on inside front cover

7.0 (W) Archon Turtle (Page 7) Signed and sketched by Eastman

7.0 (OWW) PeasOfCrap (Page 4)

7.0 SlinginWeb (No pic)

6.0 (W) Mac Man (page 8) SS Eastman only; however, signed & sketch by Laird as well

5.0 ryanatlas (page 61) SS Signed by Eastman

CGC RESTORED

9.0 (W) Schmakt (No pic) Slight (A) color touch

RAW:

RockMyAmadeus (page 1)

Chainnball (page 14)

woregul (page 30) Signed w/ head sketch by Eastman + Signed w/ 4 head sketches by Laird

Mr. Comicbook (No pic)

Iggy (No pic)

Angela Rose (No pic)

TFL (No pic)

Zombikaze (No pic)

Kaylab (page 63)

Crazy. It was like a Frankenstein counterfeit. Where is that book now?

He sold it to a boardie. It was a neat counterfeit, and I admit I made an offer too. lol

I probably would have too. Two days ago I made a too-good-to-be-true deal with someone online to buy a 2nd print. The deal was sooo good that I emailed the seller to say, "Can you please ensure that this is actually the real 2nd print from 1984." Not surprisingly the seller emailed back to say, "I just checked and it's actually a 3rd print." I told the seller I still wanted it because the price was still fair, even for a 3rd print. I'm very curious to see what actually turns up in my mailbox.

Thanks guys. It's a great feeling to finally have a bonafide 1st print. The fake one was sold to a boardie, and I believe it was sent to CGC to be graded as a counterfeit. It was an interesting collectible, I just felt bad that I was tricked into buying it as a legit copy, so I wanted to get it off my hands. Lesson learned: be more careful buying raw keys on Ebay, or just avoid it completely.

I did see a 9.8 1st print coming up on comicconnect:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=487901

How did this get a 9.8? Unless the pictures are messed up it sure looks to have a lot of scrapes on the back cover.

That just looks like poor printing. What baffles me is that stress mark on the back of the book. I've seen countless 9.8's with tiny stress marks, but that one is just way too big.

I did see a 9.8 1st print coming up on comicconnect:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=487901

How did this get a 9.8? Unless the pictures are messed up it sure looks to have a lot of scrapes on the back cover.

That just looks like poor printing. What baffles me is that stress mark on the back of the book. I've seen countless 9.8's with tiny stress marks, but that one is just way too big.

The more I see this stuff the more I want to crack and re-submit mine just to see if it gets higher. My 8.0 (graded 10 years ago) is really nice and clean with a few stress marks but I see 9.0+ copies all the time that seem to have more than mine (and with OW pages - mine are white). I may make that a pet project of mine...to see if CGC has gotten softer on their grading standards.