• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

No one is holding a banana to anyones head forcing them to buy the mystery boxes. We're all adults here right? ???

I like the idea.

I agree its buyer beware, but if someone was pulling shenanagins with say selling restored books (non-disclosed) as unrestored, or showing a photo of one book and sending a lower grade one and not allowing returns then we'd be rallying around to run the seller out of town (or at least onto the Probie list)...

it's like that. I dont think anyone is questioning Kev or Venom, but the other "mystery box" seller (whose name eludes me for the moment) was potentially pulling a fast one (saying book X would be in one of the boxes when it might not, and maybe even having a shill buyer take one of the boxes so they could collude that the book did actually change hands).

1 to 1 transactions are easier to ensure all parties are satisfied. Mystery boxes (especially when being sold in 20+ batches) are difficult to determine if the seller legitimately met his offer obligations or not since the buyers are spread around.

When mystery boxes are all of equal value, there's far less worry of this. When there is a "big winner" type box, things start to get murkier (ie how do you verify that you actually had a 1 in however many chance for the book?)

Okay I will admit defeat. There are enough boardies posting that dont have a financial incentive to make clear they want the mystery boxes to continue. I just tried to point a problem that will eventually happen again with these.

But what difference does it make if its a mystery box or a single issue?

Okay I will admit defeat. There are enough boardies posting that dont have a financial incentive to make clear they want the mystery boxes to continue. I just tried to point a problem that will eventually happen again with these.

the difference is a mystery box is tougher to validate.

Scenario 1:

User A buys Action 1 from User B

User A ends up with the stated book, User B ends up with correct ammount of $$$.

Pretty straight forward. Issues might be around non-disclosed restoration, or grading disagreements, which can be raised, and dealt with.

Scenario 2:

User A buys one of 20 mystery boxes from User B who stated that one box would contain a Saga #1 RRP, the rest would be Image books worth $50 or so.

User B keeps the RRP and doesnt put it in any of the 20 boxes.

User A gets his books(no RRP) and assumes he didn't "win" the RRP, but the other 19 buyers also make the same assumption.

How does this get checked? All it takes is 1 buyer to not reveal his mystery box contents for the Seller to say "and thats the one that got the RRP!"

As others have said, buy from long standing users you trust and they arent going to sacrifice their board reputation for a few scammed bucks.

Buy from a new seller with under 100 posts? Avoid....

While I'm not a fan of mystery boxes, the bigger issue is buying from unknown noobs.

If one of buying from unknown noobs (especially mystery boxes) then they deserve what they get. One should be responsible for vetting the seller and do your best due diligence before buying from unknown entities.

If not, then they deserve what they get....sorry to say.

Scenario 1:

User A ends up with the stated book, User B ends up with correct ammount of $$$.

Pretty straight forward. Issues might be around non-disclosed restoration, or grading disagreements, which can be raised, and dealt with.

Scenario 2:

User A buys one of 20 mystery boxes from User B who stated that one box would contain a Saga #1 RRP, the rest would be Image books worth $50 or so.

User A gets his books(no RRP) and assumes he didn't "win" the RRP, but the other 19 buyers also make the same assumption.

How does this get checked? All it takes is 1 buyer to not reveal his mystery box contents for the Seller to say "and thats the one that got the RRP!"

As others have said, buy from long standing users you trust and they arent going to sacrifice their board reputation for a few scammed bucks.

Right, I understand that you don't know what you are getting, but you can still loose your $$ the same way you can if you buy a single comic. Banning them just because of the unknown is like buying a raw off of ebay you just don't know.

While I LOVE choosing Mystery Boxes as raffle or charity auction prizes, I would most probably never buy one on a sales thread unless someone like Greggy decided to run a thread that way;) .

I'm sure that some of the boarders would run them in a legitimate way, but it's different choosing one as a gift, or bidding on a donation thread when you KNOW some kind person is going to put in something good (because it's for a charity auction or Christmas raffle)

There is just too much other great stuff to buy, that is not guesswork.

Smashdash needs to be added to the Probation List

From all the research done by respected forumites, this dude is bad news. Any delays is just leaving unknowing forumites exposed to some pain from what other forums had to share about him.

But, but, but, omg how will we get him off the list?

:eyeroll:

From all the research done by respected forumites, this dude is bad news. Any delays is just leaving unknowing forumites exposed to some pain from what other forums had to share about him.

Too late, he's been added. :grin:

Scenario 1:

Scenario 2:

Right, I understand that you don't know what you are getting, but you can still loose your $$ the same way you can if you buy a single comic. Banning them just because of the unknown is like buying a raw off of ebay you just don't know.

Its not even close to the same. You get a book with a grade and price. A scan is usually provided as well. You can inquire ask questions and pretty well know what you are getting. You can do the same on ebay with a raw book.

What you cant do is any of the above usually with a mystery box auction unless its done in an almost transparent fashion which makes it more like selling a lot. Alot of very picky buyers on here.

lol

Scenario 1:

Scenario 2:

Its not even close to the same. You get a book with a grade and price. A scan is usually provided as well. You can inquire ask questions and pretty well know what you are getting. You can do the same on ebay with a raw book.

What you cant do is any of the above usually with a mystery box auction unless its done in an almost transparent fashion which makes it more like selling a lot. Alot of very picky buyers on here.

Listen, you walk into a whorehouse and leave with crotch rot, who should be blamed?

Much like the Nigerian Mining Minister's wife who needs money to free up the millions for you, if you buy a mystery box, with the possibility of a big money bonus, from a complete stranger over the Internet, your stupidity should be rewarded with a big 'ol serving of schadenfreude.

Don't punish the majority for the naive and mentally defective minority.

Too late, he's been added. :grin:

He's climbin' in yo' windows, snatchin' yo' peoples up. :eek:

The Official CGC HOS Poll for smashdash

You can read all about it here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6359938#Post6359938

A HOS poll was placed there by a well intentioned soul with trouble reading boldface. :hi: The vote was quite high in favor of HOS. But the Poll was outside the PL DIscussion. The member in question was already added to the HOS based on the Poll in the above cited thread.

Anyway, here is the poll where it should be. Please not I have already voted and have taken no steps to alter the PL List as it now stands. Just sayin.

Meanwhile - he stays on that list as this is just going through the motions to have the poll in the right place.

If anyone gets scammed by this guy, I would hope none of us would allow this because we want to hold out hope there was a misunderstanding here that really doesn't exist. He was tracked down as a historic scammer.

Please, continue on with the poll.