• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bank Deposit Boxes or a Safe. Or even just on your wall.

62 posts in this topic

I have a couple of valuable (for me) slabbed books that I'm not sure what to do with.

My home is secure, and even if someone got in I doubt if they would recognise an 'expensive' comic if they saw it.

However the thought of slabs being thrown around for fun, just like thieves throwing paint about or krapping on your cat fills me with the jeebies.

So at what point do you consider:

a) Bank Vault

b) Safe at home

c) Hiding in plain sight - ie a gem within much drek.

Public forum - etc etc.

In Australia a handgun is illegal and Rifles are very hard to get, so Gun-safes are not an option.

Andy

What is the point of having great works of art if you can't show them off? I would just carry a really good insurance policy that covers loss/theft/damage/loss of value etc and call it a day. If they steal them to sell they will likely turn up quickly, the market for high end books is a small world.

You could get one of those between studs safes. If you don't rent that is. They could hold a few slabs and could easily cycle some in and out. I'm not too sure about at the bank though, I doubt they run the A/C or heat on the weekends and that could cause issues over time, maybe.

Insure them and enjoy them.

What is the point of having great works of art if you can't show them off? I would just carry a really good insurance policy that covers loss/theft/damage/loss of value etc and call it a day. If they steal them to sell they will likely turn up quickly, the market for high end books is a small world.

This is what I do, and agree with. I'm spending money on these comics because I love looking at them.

like thieves throwing paint about or krapping on your cat fills me with the jeebies.

lollollollollollollol

I have an extremely active imagination.... Hahahah WHO DOES THAT?

Seriously, think about that... it would mean pulling down your strides... hovering above this cat which you're presumably straddling in the couch or on the living room rug like a pro-wrestler... the cat is hissing... scratching... you're trying to simultaneously keep your dangling plums away from the cat's frenzied swipes while not sh!tt!ing on your own hands... or worse, into the open top of your pants bundled around your ankles. Hopefully balance is not a problem for you so you don't sit down in it when you're only halfway through the job....

Maybe you don't burgle on your lonesome.. so there's an "associate" nearby, undoubtedly filming all this on their iPhone - like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person - just prepping the police's future case for them with plenty of evidence. Oh. And your krap. I dunno - can you get DNA from p00? Anyway.. I digressed. Either way. Wow. What a visual.

I think it's probably safest course of action to not own a cat. hm

Mine are on my walls. I do like to look at them.

What's your "technique"? Do you use CGC frames? Plate hangers? Custom-built ledges? etc etc...

xEQutWK.gif

I have one of these: Better SAFE than sorry. And an alarm system.

There's a waiting list at my bank for the larger safe deposit boxes, otherwise I would have gone that route long ago.

Some I display, but it's nice to have someplace secure to stash them when I'm traveling, on vacation, etc.

I cannot believe that safe is an Amazon Prime item. Free 2 day shipping or speed it up for an extra $1.99. I thought when I got a wheelbarrow shipped free with Prime it was completely crazy.

I cannot believe that safe is an Amazon Prime item. Free 2 day shipping or speed it up for an extra $1.99. I thought when I got a wheelbarrow shipped free with Prime it was completely crazy.

Crazy, right? The thing weighs 200+ pounds. The original calculated shipping price was $175. Not sure how Amazon makes money on this kind of transaction.

Crazy, right? The thing weighs 200+ pounds. The original calculated shipping price was $175. Not sure how Amazon makes money on this kind of transaction.

It's nearly mind boggling. Orders of multiple items (even the same item) tend to be shipped individually. I would expect Amazon to be hemorrhaging cash with this, but it seems to be working for them.

I've been debating investing in some CGC frames but they're not exactly cheap and that could add up very quickly. Gah, just can't decide.

:nerdproblems:

Safes + comics = Pedigree CGC 9.8 Hulk 182 turning into THIS

1174902-Hulk182TopStaple.jpg

I keep my safe dehumidified, so I think that should cut down on any rust

Yep. Avoid those safes that are rated airtight or waterproof. That and some simple dehumidifier solutions, you should be OK.

Mine are on my walls. I do like to look at them.

Under UV protected glass I hope?

Displaying comics, even in a CGC slab is just asking for cover fading. :eek:

No UV glass, but no direct sunlight either. In my stairwell leading upstairs.

Edited by thunsicker