• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your FOUR COLOR Comic Covers Here
15 15

What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread

• choice1
    • choice2

3,803 posts in this topic

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/PeopleSetDetail.aspx?PeopleSetID=8497

You will find pictures and descriptions on the right side of the page.

Additionaly I have almost 1000 scans on my Collectors Society page.

Where/what is that?

???

Here's a Four Color I thought I'd scanned over a year ago but evidently not:

28-12-2012100114PM.jpg

:)

Edited by 4GEMWORKS

Some real beauties in this thread recently. I found this book not too long ago. This brings back some memories. I recall Candy Land and the Uncle Wiggily game as being two of my early favorites.

FC_503.jpg

That is the real beauty of Four Color. It is replete with gorgeous covers in so many different themes and genres. This and most of the Uncle Wiggily covers are outstanding pieces of art.

I found this book not too long ago. This brings back some memories. I recall Candy Land and the Uncle Wiggily game as being two of my early favorites.

FC_503.jpg

Fab copy of a sweet book! I'd like to add some Uncle Wiggilys to my own collection, both the board game and the comics!

(thumbs u

Some real beauties in this thread recently. I found this book not too long ago. This brings back some memories. I recall Candy Land and the Uncle Wiggily game as being two of my early favorites.

FC_503.jpg

That is the real beauty of Four Color. It is replete with gorgeous covers in so many different themes and genres. This and most of the Uncle Wiggily covers are outstanding pieces of art.

Fab copy of a sweet book! I'd like to add some Uncle Wiggilys to my own collection, both the board game and the comics!

(thumbs u

Thanks! If I may be permitted a brief sojourn just slightly off topic, I would like to share an Uncle Wiggily children's book from my wife's collection.

UNCLEW_1023.jpg

These Dell photo covers are so rich and luxurious, so deep and delirious- they just commanded you from the racks to ignore all those dull line-drawn covers and buy Dell, and only Dell.

Four Color 1009, Rifleman #1

KGrHqZHJEEFDN6t2SSZBQ7NIVuB3g60_57_zps3664336c.jpg

Four Color 1125, Laramie

KGrHqVhEFD8iZvK6BQ63tPzj6w60_57_zps95ea973d.jpg

Edited by Arkadin

FOUR COLORs times two - man, that's a lot of colors!

These Dell photo covers are so rich and luxurious, so deep and delirious- they just commanded you from the racks to ignore all those dull line-drawn covers and buy Dell, and only Dell.

Four Color 1125, Laramie

Those blues really pop on those books. :applause:

Great TV western shows to boot. (thumbs u

A check of the OPG for other later FC westerns shows; The Rebel, The Deputy, Rawhide, Tales of Wells Fargo, Bonanza, Colt 45, Tombstone Territory, Bat Masterson, Johnny Ringo, Daniel Boone, Sugarfoot, Gunslinger, Maverick and Have Gun Will Travel to name a few.

FOUR COLORs times two - man, that's a lot of colors!

Four Color 1125, Laramie

Those blues really pop on those books. :applause:

Great TV western shows to boot. (thumbs u

A check of the OPG for other later FC westerns shows; The Rebel, The Deputy, Rawhide, Tales of Wells Fargo, Bonanza, Colt 45, Tombstone Territory, Bat Masterson, Johnny Ringo, Daniel Boone, Sugarfoot, Gunslinger, Maverick and Have Gun Will Travel to name a few.

Yeah, TV westerns were hugely popular in the 1950s and 1960s.

For some time I have had the urge to obtain a few of the Barks Four Color Duck books. I wound up starting with #189, The Old Castle's Secret. This is a bit unusual

for a Four Color book, as there is a skeletonized hand visible on the cover. The

startled expression on Donald and the boy's faces really stands out for me.

FC_189.jpg

For some time I have had the urge to obtain a few of the Barks Four Color Duck books. I wound up starting with #189, The Old Castle's Secret. This is a bit unusual

for a Four Color book, as there is a skeletonized hand visible on the cover. The

FC_189.jpg

One of my top five favorite Barks stories.

FC_189.jpg

I first read FC 189 in this 1964 reprint:

a77-6_zps49babc77.jpg

I hadn't realized the cover was different until someone on these boards pointed out that Tony Strobl had redrawn it to add Scrooge. Strobl did a pretty good job, I think, although the expressions on Donald and the boys' faces are much more subdued, making the cover less striking than Barks's version. Strobl's versions shows Donald, Scrooge, and the boys as they looked toward the end of Barks's time.

FC_189.jpg

I first read FC 189 in this 1964 reprint:

a77-6_zps49babc77.jpg

I hadn't realized the cover was different until someone on these boards pointed out that Tony Strobl had redrawn it to add Scrooge. Strobl did a pretty good job, I think, although the expressions on Donald and the boys' faces are much more subdued, making the cover less striking than Barks's version. Strobl's versions shows Donald, Scrooge, and the boys as they looked toward the end of Barks's time.

In your earlier post you mentioned that the "Old Old Castle's Secret" was one of your top 5 stories. I am also considering; 199 The Sheriff of Bullet valley, 300 Big Top Bedlam, 318 No Such Varmit, and 328 In Old California. Would any of those be on your list of top stories? I'm thinking I might as well go for the "best" ones first.

In your earlier post you mentioned that the "Old Old Castle's Secret" was one of your top 5 stories. I am also considering; 199 The Sheriff of Bullet valley, 300 Big Top Bedlam, 318 No Such Varmit, and 328 In Old California. Would any of those be on your list of top stories? I'm thinking I might as well go for the "best" ones first.

Here are my top five:

FC 367 Christmas for Shacktown

FC 189 Old Castle's Secret

FC 422 Gilded Man

FC 223 Lost in the Andes

FC 386 Only a Poor Old Man (also first book in Scrooge series)

If allowed a sixth, I would probably choose FC 408 Golden Helmet.

Of the books you list, I would probably rank 199 first, followed by 328. I'm not a big fan of 300 or 318. Tastes differ, of course, so you might want to buy inexpensive reprints to read them first and then decide which books you would like to add to your collection. Good reading ahead, whichever way you go!

I'll chip in with a view. 199 and 328 yes, definitely. The other two not so much.

Lost in the Andes (223) Luck of the North (256), Land of the Totem Poles/Trail of the Unicorn (263, great twofer), Ancient Persia (275), Golden Helmet (408) and The Gilded Man (422) all rate higher in my book. But I wouldn't be surprised if there are as many views as posters!

:gossip: I'd include 238 Voodoo Hoodoo, but I'm hunting that myself, so I'll keep quiet about it.

Edit: forgot Shacktown doh!

Edited by AJD

Here are my top five:

FC 367 Christmas for Shacktown

FC 189 Old Castle's Secret

FC 422 Gilded Man

FC 223 Lost in the Andes

FC 386 Only a Poor Old Man (also first book in Scrooge series)

If allowed a sixth, I would probably choose FC 408 Golden Helmet.

Of the books you list, I would probably rank 199 first, followed by 328. I'm not a big fan of 300 or 318. Tastes differ, of course, so you might want to buy inexpensive reprints to read them first and then decide which books you would like to add to your collection. Good reading ahead, whichever way you go!

Great list. I checked and found I do have all of those in reprint form, except for 199, so I may pursue some of the books I have not read, or more likely obtain the books as opportunities occur. Of course, if I do obtain some of them, it would not be the first time I have a reprint and the original. (thumbs u

I'll chip in with a view. 199 and 328 yes, definitely. The other two not so much.

Lost in the Andes (223) Luck of the North (256), Land of the Totem Poles/Trail of the Unicorn (263, great twofer), Ancient Persia (275), Golden Helmet (408) and The Gilded Man (422) all rate higher in my book. But I wouldn't be surprised if there are as many views as posters!

:gossip: I'd include 238 Voodoo Hoodoo, but I'm hunting that myself, so I'll keep quiet about it.

Edit: forgot Shacktown doh!

I appreciate your views on the subject, :) Voodoo Hoodoo is one I have on my list, and do not have in reprint form. One thing is for sure there are quite a few of these classics to choose from. I was fortunate to pick up a copy of "Walt Disney best Comic Series--Donald Duck" @1978, many years ago. Ten great stories in the book, but there are so many more great Barks books.