• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
48 48

1,632 posts in this topic

I've tried to follow this thread and compile a list of scanners that are good/not so good, take note of image capture types, sizes....scan techniques.

I'm still not sure what I'm after but I'm sure the guy at BestBuy is going to punch me in my face.

I'm with you. I've been following along and still far from knowing what might be the best replacement for my defunct scanner. Some of the scanners prominently mentioned here were introduced years ago and are no longer in production. Makes me wonder whether I would be opening myself up to compatibility problems, particularly since I now use a Mac. hm

Hado and anyone skimming this thread for info:

Most scanners produced in the past 5 years or newer use LED as a source for lighting. LED isn't suited to handle the job of capturing a scan of a comic suspended between a plastic holder and inner well.

BestBuy is LED heaven and will require at minimum a second trip to return your scanner, and possibly a punch in the face if they know you actually knew about this thread and still went ahead and bought a scanner from them.

Legal scanners are usually special order, and you need a platen spec that has the physical dimensions of a legal size spec, not a scanner that simulates a legal size scan through virtual means.

Long and short, you will need to make a list of the scanners make/models that have been shown in this thread, and hit craigslist or kijiji searching those specific makes/models.

The reason why these legal size makes and models work with plastic-fat CGC slabs is because they used flourescent lighting, which produces a brighter image during capture.

Scanners using flourescent lighting means they will most likely be older models, but I would stick with models that at least use USB to allow compatibility with more current operating systems and computing hardware. Parallel/SCSI interfaces will force a scanning station spec that will require the use of older PC hardware so steer clear of these.

Finally, I was successful in finding my scanner by buying it through a business equipment retailer that refurbishes old office equipment. The nice thing about buying it using this method is that the equipment can be tested right in the store, and usually comes with a 30-day money back guarantee.

The other thing I noticed is that the HP scanner model I bought/use has a decent track record as far as consumer reliability and IMHO exceeds the requirements when it comes to scanning CGC slabs.

The other thing I noticed is that the HP scanner model I bought/use has a decent track record as far as consumer reliability and IMHO exceeds the requirements when it comes to scanning CGC slabs.

Which model is it?

Which model is it?

HP Scanjet 8250

Thanks (thumbs u super helpful advice.

Hp Scanjet 7400c

Bought at a Goodwill. Was $3.50, marked down to $2.00 Got a power cord cheaply on eBay.

Vuescan, default settings. Windows XP. Using built-in USB cable.

No top or bottom of the slab "flare". Sorry about the small scan size, but photobucket is not allowing larger scans in the updated site.

Scan-130106-0003_zps33981277.jpg

Scan-130106-0004_zps8e9c7502.jpg

IMAG1199.jpg

It's the yellow label
(tsk)

scan0001-1.jpg

So what's the trick?

I've tried several different slabs and they all have the same glares in almost the same places.

I've also tried putting something under different edges of the slab to angle it on the glass.

I can't get rid of the glare. :(

The trick is all about the inner well. The outer holder provides a flat surface so the light passes right through it cleanly.

Even the slightest bend in the plastic creates a refraction and that "rainbow" glare. That's why pressing on the slab (and straightening out the inner well) helps eliminate it.

If the inner well is not straight it's going to create that glare. I find a lack of straightness on the inner well is more common on newly graded books than it was on older ones.

I've tried to follow this thread and compile a list of scanners that are good/not so good, take note of image capture types, sizes....scan techniques.

I'm still not sure what I'm after but I'm sure the guy at BestBuy is going to punch me in my face.

I'm with you. I've been following along and still far from knowing what might be the best replacement for my defunct scanner. Some of the scanners prominently mentioned here were introduced years ago and are no longer in production. Makes me wonder whether I would be opening myself up to compatibility problems, particularly since I now use a Mac. hm

Hado and anyone skimming this thread for info:

Most scanners produced in the past 5 years or newer use LED as a source for lighting. LED isn't suited to handle the job of capturing a scan of a comic suspended between a plastic holder and inner well.

BestBuy is LED heaven and will require at minimum a second trip to return your scanner, and possibly a punch in the face if they know you actually knew about this thread and still went ahead and bought a scanner from them.

Legal scanners are usually special order, and you need a platen spec that has the physical dimensions of a legal size spec, not a scanner that simulates a legal size scan through virtual means.

Long and short, you will need to make a list of the scanners make/models that have been shown in this thread, and hit craigslist or kijiji searching those specific makes/models.

The reason why these legal size makes and models work with plastic-fat CGC slabs is because they used flourescent lighting, which produces a brighter image during capture.

Scanners using flourescent lighting means they will most likely be older models, but I would stick with models that at least use USB to allow compatibility with more current operating systems and computing hardware. Parallel/SCSI interfaces will force a scanning station spec that will require the use of older PC hardware so steer clear of these.

Finally, I was successful in finding my scanner by buying it through a business equipment retailer that refurbishes old office equipment. The nice thing about buying it using this method is that the equipment can be tested right in the store, and usually comes with a 30-day money back guarantee.

I'll add that you generally get what you pay for unless you happen to come across a bargain.

Those huge office size scanner will probably have the best results but we're trying to get bang for the buck.

In my experience (and this is not a sweeping endorsement for all models from these companies but of all the ones that I've used) Epson and HP make good scans. I found Epson (at my local Kinkos) to be exceptionally deep and bright although they did tend to exaggerate any foxing or shadows. I've never used a Microtek but guys on here seem to have terrific results with them.

Like comicwiz says, when it comes to glare..."it's not you, it's me" being it's the scanner. None of the settings in the world from a software perspective is going to get rid of it...it's the LED vs. fluorescent conversation.

the microtek i800 scanner has served me really well, and is one that several boardies use. It posseses the right technology, is not too terribly priced ($450 new, but easily found for $250 and down online)

I used to have the HPscanjet 8600 and here's the old and new

OLD

ASM50cgc96fc.jpg

NEW

asm50cgc96fc.jpg

You guys have really sold me on the microtek...too bad it's no longer in production. The feedback I've heard is that it's SSSLLLOOOOWWW at scanning. My HP 8200 shows glares, but VueScan has drastically improved the output for me to justify keeping it for now.

Good idea Roy - would be helpful for those that have already posted to include:

Scanner interface (i.e. USB, SCSI, Parallel, Firewire)

If known, what operating system your running it on (i.e. Windows or Mac, XP/Vista or OS X)

And what DPI you used to obtain the scan

(thumbs u

Here's a result from an HP Scanjet 8250

Interface: USB 2.0

Operating System: Windows Vista

Using the following settings on the scanning software:

Sharpness: Extreme

Resolution: 300 dpi (goes up to 4800 dpi)

I am acquring scans using Arcsoft Photostudio using "Auto Enhance" to colour correct the fading caused by the CGC holder and inner-well:

ASM_129.jpg

Well...I'm in the market for a Legal Size scanner, so I'm going to buy a HP Scanjet 8250. Hopefully I can get the same type of scans as this.

This scan looks great! (thumbs u

My best advice is to download and use the HP software - it makes a HUGE difference in being able to control the scanner features/functions the way the software was meant to interface with the scanner. Using the Windows/Mac or other 3rd-party software to acquire/interface with the scanner won't produce the same results. (thumbs u

Will do! Thanks for the info! :)

I bought a HP Scanjet 8250 off Kijiji today for 80 bucks, It was reccomended by comicwiz, here are the results on two slabs I bought while I went down to pick up the scanner.

Hey, two birds with one stone, Jack

original.jpg

original.jpg

The Gentleman I bought it off didn't know where the software was so these scans are just using a driver I got off HP's website and using microsoft paint.

So what's the best option for using the Scanjet 7400C under windows 7?

It's not supported under Windows 7 :(

Looking for a free option to use the scanner.... I like VueScan but would rather try a cheaper option

I use windows fax and scan; it came on my computer.

You should be able to download whatever driver you need off the internets.

looks a bit bright to me....

Same here but then again this is what my scans look like. I really need to keep playing with the settings. Let me know what you end up using so I can try it out for myself.

looks a bit bright to me....

Same here but then again this is what my scans look like. I really need to keep playing with the settings. Let me know what you end up using so I can try it out for myself.

I'm trying to match the Yellow of the label, this looked good on my computer, but too light on my phone. I'll keep trying.