• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Absolute Hardest to Find 80's books.
9 9

1,000 posts in this topic

Ian's thread is a treasure trove of images!

Here's the Remco Warlord book - apparently this is the only one anyone's ever seen, as it is supposed to not exist. This might be the winner.

855999-lostwarlordcopy.JPG

Was this the winner? (shrug) How does one price a book like this?

Any way one wants.

lol pretty much.

Supply is very small. How is demand for this comic?

Isn't there only one known copy? Is this still true, donut?

hm

I find it very interesting that you brought this book back into the discussion.

You are eluding to having a copy, with the couple of Emotes youve done, but not showing it.

The reason I am curious about this, is because I missed a copy of this remco Warlord promo that came up for sale on 12/17/12. I wont say from where but it was online. It was very underpriced for how rare this book is.

So either you have one, and this book I saw was a different copy, making it at least 3 known copies. Or the book I saw was the same one you got, and the reason you are not showing it yet, is because you havnt received it yet? hm

I just find the timeing pretty interesting. Stranger things have happened though (shrug)

I wouldn't be blown away to learn there were three. I wouldn't be blown away to learn there were a hundred. It's a fully produced comic with a DC logo. More were bound to pop up.

Ian's thread is a treasure trove of images!

Here's the Remco Warlord book - apparently this is the only one anyone's ever seen, as it is supposed to not exist. This might be the winner.

855999-lostwarlordcopy.JPG

Was this the winner? (shrug) How does one price a book like this?

Any way one wants.

lol pretty much.

Supply is very small. How is demand for this comic?

Isn't there only one known copy? Is this still true, donut?

hm

I find it very interesting that you brought this book back into the discussion.

You are eluding to having a copy, with the couple of Emotes youve done, but not showing it.

The reason I am curious about this, is because I missed a copy of this remco Warlord promo that came up for sale on 12/17/12. I wont say from where but it was online. It was very underpriced for how rare this book is.

So either you have one, and this book I saw was a different copy, making it at least 3 known copies. Or the book I saw was the same one you got, and the reason you are not showing it yet, is because you havnt received it yet? hm

I just find the timeing pretty interesting. Stranger things have happened though (shrug)

You DARE question the Warlord? :sumo:

I do! :fear: Maily because he brought the talk of this book back to life 12 hours before the one I missed came up for sale. I guess my conspiracy theory brain wants to think he has someone on the inside that told him it was coming up for sale, and at the strangest of times of day ( which is why I missed it ).

Better yet, maybe he IS the insider, set up the odd time to put it up for sale, and then bought it... :gossip:

Seriously tho, it's just really strange. Warlord has prolly had that book for a while, and his timing of the post was just conicidence. Ive learned to never close a door completely however.

I'll put this to rest, no conspiracy, I bought the book from MCS on the 17th. I just happened to be browsing the new in stock and I almost crapped my drawers. I have not received it yet so I was waiting to post until it was in hand. I'll post pics when I can, it was listed as a 9.4 so for MCS moderns that could mean quite a range.

I'll put this to rest, no conspiracy, I bought the book from MCS on the 17th. I just happened to be browsing the new in stock and I almost crapped my drawers. I have not received it yet so I was waiting to post until it was in hand. I'll post pics when I can, it was listed as a 9.4 so for MCS moderns that could mean quite a range.

Damn, what a grab! (worship) Please post a scan when you get it.

:applause: Never seen that before

Thanks, I think it's my rarest comic although it's a more recent purchase from Australia a few years ago which I had CGC graded (not sure Timeslip in Newcastle ever got one of those!).

:applause: Never seen that before

Thanks, I think it's my rarest comic although it's a more recent purchase from Australia a few years ago which I had CGC graded (not sure Timeslip in Newcastle ever got one of those!).

Whoa dude, how do you know Timeslip :cloud9: in Newcastle?

I'm from a nearby rival tribe ( :grin: ) and came hunting for comics in the Grainger market, North Shields book shops, Whitley Bay and other stops on the Metro. I was even on Tyne Tees TV once (in the background) in Timeslip in 1986 when they were filming the visit of John Bolton, Chris Claremont and Arthur Adams (I still have a copy of Heroes for Hope X-Men they signed). I remember the TV guys persuaded them to wear cowboy hats as "that's what all Americans wear" :D

A mate at the time was a comic dealer and had a market stall; we did a few of the comic marts in places like Leeds and Sheffield, which was a good laugh. I even did a bit of mail order dealing myself with an advert in some UK comics for "Necropolis Comics" and did some cover art (not very good) for the list I used to send out: didn't make any real money though. Lost a bit of interest in comics in the 90's but got back into them again in the 2000's selling on eBay and started reading and buying again.

Timeslip was a good shop, shame it moved then got bought out by Forbidden Planet; there are very few places to buy back issues in person these days in the UK. It's mostly a virtual world now with chat boards like these and feebay but at least the comic market is still alive, although not as healthy as it was back in the day.

Edited by Neeidea

I'm from a nearby rival tribe ( :grin: ) and came hunting for comics in the Grainger market, North Shields book shops, Whitley Bay and other stops on the Metro. I was even on Tyne Tees TV once (in the background) in Timeslip in 1986 when they were filming the visit of John Bolton, Chris Claremont and Arthur Adams (I still have a copy of Heroes for Hope X-Men they signed). I remember the TV guys persuaded them to wear cowboy hats as "that's what all Americans wear" :D

A mate at the time was a comic dealer and had a market stall; we did a few of the comic marts in places like Leeds and Sheffield, which was a good laugh. I even did a bit of mail order dealing myself with an advert in some UK comics for "Necropolis Comics" and did some cover art (not very good) for the list I used to send out: didn't make any real money though. Lost a bit of interest in comics in the 90's but got back into them again in the 2000's selling on eBay and started reading and buying again.

Timeslip was a good shop, shame it moved then got bought out by Forbidden Planet; there are very few places to buy back issues in person these days in the UK. It's mostly a virtual world now with chat boards like these and feebay but at least the comic market is still alive, although not as healthy as it was back in the day.

lol Rival tribe must mean Sunderland, you are the second person in 2 days who has had me nostalgic for the old days.

Timeslip was a fantastic shop and is greatly missed in a place like Newcastle as there has never really been anyone who filled that back issue space here.

I used to do the Marts myself back in the day (mid 80s-early 90s), mainly Newcastle, did Glasgow a couple of times but never Leeds or Sheffield.

I do remember "Necropolis Comics" but no sure if I ever bought anything for you.

Anyway good to hear from another fellow Northeasterner, there are plenty of us on these boards. :foryou:

I don't like references to "Newcastle" any more than Constantine did. Please keep to a minimum.

Newcastle is a fantastic city, just keep out of the Casanova club and you will be okay.

That is a good way to keep my anxiety down. Thanks, Kev.

Ah yes, but do you have the promo warlord book?

:banana:

The teasing is over! I just posted my top 3 acquisitions of 2012. Here's the one you've been waiting to see along with my commentary from my post in General. Enjoy!

Nine, yes, NINE years of searching FINALLY turned up this "it doesn't exist" impossibility -- the Remco Warlord figure with a little something extra. This package contains the Warlord Remco mini-comic "Battle Beneath the Earth"!!!!!!! Another FANTASTIC Warlord item for my collection! Ian Levine brought this comic to my attention back around 2003 when he was finishing up his DC collection. He stated that info he had from Paul Levitz is that this comic was cancelled, never made, and is not officially supposed to exist. Certainly most of the Warlord figures did not have the comic and apparently the few that did were meant to have been destroyed since, as Ian relayed, Paul Levitz was so adamant that they had scrapped the comic. That didn't stop me from searching for either the loose comic or the ultimate prize, the carded figure that contains the mini-comic! I'd have been happy to have either item but I'm just a little extra elated that I found the mini-comic with the Warlord figure MOC! You can see the Woolworth's price sticker on the card, so apparently this figure with the mini-comic was sold at an ordinary retail outlet!

WarlordRemcoMiniComic-small_zpsa065ac20.jpg

One other note, I've compared this MOC item side by side with another MOC Warlord and I can't find a single difference between the two other than the presence of the mini-comic in this one. It's a puzzling mystery why an incredibly few copies of this Warlord figure made it out into the retail world containing the mini-comic!

Wow, congratulations... that is a rare item. The only ones I have ever heard of are the one that Ian has and two that DCindexer showed some time back. BTW, I think Ian's was found in a Hercules figure and DC Indexer had another two so maybe there is one for each figure somewhere? Perhaps some prototypes that somehow made it into the retail market?

Wow, congratulations... that is a rare item. The only ones I have ever heard of are the one that Ian has and two that DCindexer showed some time back. BTW, I think Ian's was found in a Hercules figure and DC Indexer had another two so maybe there is one for each figure somewhere? Perhaps some prototypes that somehow made it into the retail market?

I didn't know that Ian had located the Remco Warlord. Whew, that's good to know so now I can stop worrying that his agents will stop by my house to liberate my Warlord figure/comic! lol

Yes, DC Indexer is Mike McVoiles (or something like that?) and he posted that he had obtained 2 of these Warlord items. I have the image Mike posted of one of his - there's a plain whitish price tag on it but no identifying mark so it doesn't appear to be from Woolworth.

The teasing is over! I just posted my top 3 acquisitions of 2012. Here's the one you've been waiting to see along with my commentary from my post in General. Enjoy!

Nine, yes, NINE years of searching FINALLY turned up this "it doesn't exist" impossibility -- the Remco Warlord figure with a little something extra. This package contains the Warlord Remco mini-comic "Battle Beneath the Earth"!!!!!!! Another FANTASTIC Warlord item for my collection! Ian Levine brought this comic to my attention back around 2003 when he was finishing up his DC collection. He stated that info he had from Paul Levitz is that this comic was cancelled, never made, and is not officially supposed to exist. Certainly most of the Warlord figures did not have the comic and apparently the few that did were meant to have been destroyed since, as Ian relayed, Paul Levitz was so adamant that they had scrapped the comic. That didn't stop me from searching for either the loose comic or the ultimate prize, the carded figure that contains the mini-comic! I'd have been happy to have either item but I'm just a little extra elated that I found the mini-comic with the Warlord figure MOC! You can see the Woolworth's price sticker on the card, so apparently this figure with the mini-comic was sold at an ordinary retail outlet!

One other note, I've compared this MOC item side by side with another MOC Warlord and I can't find a single difference between the two other than the presence of the mini-comic in this one. It's a puzzling mystery why an incredibly few copies of this Warlord figure made it out into the retail world containing the mini-comic!

Awesome :applause:

. They do exist!

6D9107C0-D695-4091-8839-1B52A2CBB53D-16919-00000CC29B7DC448.jpg

Without getting into specifics, where did you find it? And how?