Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#6260935 - 12/29/12 01:49 PM Oakland County, MI Coin Dealer and Coin Club
jpcienkus Online   content
The Post-man always rings twice. Uhm... ring ring?

I'm reaching out for help on these boards. I'm new to collecting coins. Long story short, I've purchased coins for 5-7 years through sources outside the normal channels, and really became interested when I got my first Morgan and a proof like half dollar. I've since stopped buying in that fashion and have been educating myself on the art of coin collecting. It's fascinating. Of course, I've made a few purchases along the way, but nothing that would cause a financial calamity for me.

In July of this year, I moved from Georgia to the Detroit metropolitan area(If you can call Detroit, metropolitan, but that's not the point). I'm interested in finding a good coin dealer in my area. I've checked out the NGC site for dealers and found some near me in Birmingham and Franklin. Can anyone advise me on a local dealer that I might get in touch with to continue my Numismatic education? I'd also be interested in a local coin club as well.

Thanks for your help.

Joe

#6261088 - 12/29/12 02:23 PM Re: Oakland County, MI Coin Dealer and Coin Club [Re: jpcienkus]
Dudley the 1st Offline
Talkative?

Loc: Capital Of New York
I would suggest you contact the Michigan State Numismatic Society and direct your inquiry with them. Detroit has gone through great economic troubles and it may be difficult to find local clubs still in existence and even operating dealers.
#6261102 - 12/29/12 02:28 PM Re: Oakland County, MI Coin Dealer and Coin Club [Re: Dudley the 1st]
MarkFeld Offline
Dealer
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Texas
 Originally Posted By: Dudley the 1st
I would suggest you contact the Michigan State Numismatic Society and direct your inquiry with them. Detroit has gone through great economic troubles and it may be difficult to find local clubs still in existence and even operating dealers.

That sounds like a good idea. Here is a link to their website.

Unless otherwise stated, the opinions I express here are my own.

#6261104 - 12/29/12 02:29 PM Re: Oakland County, MI Coin Dealer and Coin Club [Re: Dudley the 1st]
delta Offline
Talkative?

Abbott's is one of the best around. 33700 Woodward Ave, Birmingham. phone (248) 644-8565.
#6261242 - 12/29/12 03:09 PM Re: Oakland County, MI Coin Dealer and Coin Club [Re: delta]

Originally Posted By: delta
Abbott's is one of the best around. 33700 Woodward Ave, Birmingham. phone (248) 644-8565.

Thanks. Saw them on the NGC site. I'll check them out.

#6261636 - 12/29/12 05:48 PM Re: Oakland County, MI Coin Dealer and Coin Club [Re: jpcienkus]
PennyGuy Offline
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: Jackson, Michigan
First let me say welcome to Michigan.

Do visit the MSNS site, michigancoinclub.org, or use the link provided above. You can find information on local clubs, there are many, in the greater Detroit area. Earlier today I downloaded the MSNS coin show listing for 2012, use the Local Coin Show tab at the MSNS site. There will be six in January alone.

As far as dealers, there are quite a few top notch dealers. Visiting with them at shows will save you a lot of running around. Joining a local club as well as MSNS will open a lot of doors.

Feel free to PM me with questions.

#6262816 - 12/29/12 10:20 PM Re: Oakland County, MI Coin Dealer and Coin Club [Re: PennyGuy]

Thanks Pennyguy. I was told by Chris that you would be a good resource for me. I'll check out the site and will plan on attending something in January.

BTW, got to shovel snow 2x this week for the first time in 7 years! I do like snow, but will likely invest in a snow blower. It will likely cost me a MS65 Morgan though!

#6263467 - 12/30/12 01:35 AM Re: Oakland County, MI Coin Dealer and Coin Club [Re: jpcienkus]
MJ Offline
Up 20 words per minute since I signed up

Loc: The Hotel Yorba
This one is very near you.

Birmingham Bloomfield Coin Club Show

February 3 2013 10AM to 4PM

Free Parking, Free Admission

@ Masonic Temple

37357 Woodward Ave, West side of Woodward N of Quarton.

MJ

#6263752 - 12/30/12 09:34 AM Re: Oakland County, MI Coin Dealer and Coin Club [Re: MJ]

Originally Posted By: MJ
This one is very near you.

Birmingham Bloomfield Coin Club Show

February 3 2013 10AM to 4PM

Free Parking, Free Admission

@ Masonic Temple

37357 Woodward Ave, West side of Woodward N of Quarton.

MJ

Thanks MJ. I'll check it out. It's about 15 minutes from my abode.

#6265126 - 12/30/12 04:42 PM Re: Oakland County, MI Coin Dealer and Coin Club [Re: jpcienkus]
MJ Offline
Up 20 words per minute since I signed up

Loc: The Hotel Yorba
There is also a monthly show on 9 mile and Telegraph. Bullion heavy show but you can meet some of the area players. MJ

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Architecht, dena, ngcmod, Jay Turner, CCGmod0, PaulS., Barbara T, Keith Zaner, ccgmod1 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
1954-D Franklin Half Dollar PCGS MS65FBL (old holder)
by Hu-Dey
03:00 PM
1967 Washington Quarter PCGS MS68 old holder
by Hu-Dey
02:52 PM
Gold Coins for sale All NGC PF 70's $ to chose From ! LOOK
by Paul Kiraly 3
01:07 PM
FS: 1947 S Philippines Fifty Centavo Mint State Toned
by Doily
10:40 AM
Comics Marketplace
Adventure Comics 41, Tales from the Crypt 40, Startling Comics 52 and more...
by Hibou
Statue Sale
by Shadow Images
03:54 AM
Early MAD, Happy Hooligan, BLBs, Pulps, Superman 43, Boy Commandos 7 Detec 84
by comicartcom
02:12 AM
Silver Surfer Slabs and raw lot sale
by joel scott
01:21 AM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.014 seconds in which 0.006 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.