• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

An In-Depth Comparison of Green Label and Blue Label Grading
7 7

150 posts in this topic

That Savage Tales 1 CGC Q 9.8 is just stunning!

Green Label or not, I'd cherish that book.

I was thinking the same thing, it's a real shame CGC decided to give it a green label because it has a unverified sig.

Can't you still get Blue Label for unverified sigs but the signature is just counted as a defect against the grade instead?

Yes.

That Savage Tales 1 CGC Q 9.8 is just stunning!

Green Label or not, I'd cherish that book.

I was thinking the same thing, it's a real shame CGC decided to give it a green label because it has a unverified sig.

Can't you still get Blue Label for unverified sigs but the signature is just counted as a defect against the grade instead?

Yes.

hm

So I could submit my 3rd party signed books to CGC for a Blue Label, have the signature deducted as a defect. Would CGC encapsuate the COAs (Lonestar, Jay,s Comics etc.) in the back of the holder? (shrug)

Note; I have yet to send in my first book as I am as new to the boards as they come. :hi:

Cheers.

I have a Giant size X-Men #1 autographed by the artist on the inside on the first page. Is this a guaranteed green label?

I think it would get a Blue, a Green if it was on the front cover.

I take it books with limited edition run numbering (i.e. 1 / 100) written on the cover would fall into Cat #5 since it is not really a defect but some marker noting run number on the cover.

I would think a 9.8 Green would be valued at the same level as a 9.8 Blue would since it would be impossible to ever get a blue label with one of these books... right? hm

As is the case in this other thread...

Ltd Run Cover Notation

Edited by HaydenTO

This is very interesting reading. Cudos for all the research involved.

Does the research speak to how a married piece of a book resulting in a green label affects its retail value in comparison to a blue label book with an equivelant grade?

A few questions regarding signatures...

I have a signed (cover) raw copy of a book. If I were to take it to a comicon to get signed by the same person, and witnessed by CGC, would that work? They wouldn't sign it again, of course, just verify that it is their signature. Logically, I don't see how there could be a problem with this, but you never know.

Has anyone ever done this?

Furthermore, if that book was a graded 9.4 blue label, would it go up a few grades as a SS if presented with the same situation as above?

Thanks.

Edited by isiTrue

From what I've read here on the boards, it isn't allowed. A creator cannot just confirm a sig or sketch for a book to qualify for an SS label. Has it happened previously? Yes. Examples of this have been discussed here before.

Why would a blue 9.4 go up in grade if it were to become a yellow label? If the original sig doesn't cover a defect or wasn't done in a way that detracts from the art I wouldn't see CGC downgrading for just a name(writing). Lots of high grade pedigree books have writing or date stamps and those aren't downgraded. The grade has the same chance of changing (up or down) as any blue label book cracked out and submitted for SS would have.