• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

No one better walk by my blanket setup at the flea market and promise to buy my Englebert Humperdink 8 tracks, then forget and leave; you will pay dearly.

I vote to only include documented board transactions. (shrug)

My dooshbaggy joke is in no way meant to minimize that a boardie got screwed over. I have been victim to getting the shaft and it wasn't pleasant.

d) A Transaction between board members is not confined to the CGC Message Boards. Any transaction between forum members, regardless of the venue, is eligible for inclusion in the PL.

I remember the case that brought that addition into play. Wasn't it added because they began talking about it here via PM? I figured there would be some slight connection to the deal being worked out or discussed here, at least via PM, otherwise every dealer with a forum screen name can get put on the PL without ever having sold a book or even discussed or forwarded the transaction here.

For some reason I am remembering that the transaction was handled off the forum but the parties initiated it here.

No one better walk by my blanket setup at the flea market and promise to buy my Englebert Humperdink 8 tracks, then forget and leave; you will pay dearly.

I vote to only include documented board transactions. (shrug)

My dooshbaggy joke is in no way meant to minimize that a boardie got screwed over. I have been victim to getting the shaft and it wasn't pleasant.

d) A Transaction between board members is not confined to the CGC Message Boards. Any transaction between forum members, regardless of the venue, is eligible for inclusion in the PL.

I remember the case that brought that addition into play. Wasn't it added because they began talking about it here via PM? I figured there would be some slight connection to the deal being worked out or discussed here, at least via PM, otherwise every dealer with a forum screen name can get put on the PL without ever having sold a book or even discussed or forwarded the transaction here.

For some reason I am remembering that the transaction was handled off the forum but the parties initiated it here.

The point of the PL is to alert boardies to other boardies who haven't gone through with deals in the past, for whatever reason, and whose issues are still outstanding. This was discussed before, and we decided that it didn't matter if the deal took place here or elsewhere. It's not about the deal itself or what server hosted the contact, it's about the shadiness or tardiness of parties involved.

As for a dealer getting put on the PL without ever selling here... a) so what, they never sell here anyways? and b) I'd expect any professional dealer to have every deal worked out one way or another. If there's some dealer out there taking money for comics and not shipping them, I want to know about it.

Hide your dad!
giggle.gif

I love ya RMA - now don't go near any very tall buildings.

just incase the you-know-who is in the mood again....

As for a dealer getting put on the PL without ever selling here... a) so what, they never sell here anyways? and b) I'd expect any professional dealer to have every deal worked out one way or another. If there's some dealer out there taking money for comics and not shipping them, I want to know about it.

As we've seen demonstrated in the past there's far more to PL nominations than taking money and not shipping comics. Everything from disagreements about grading, to shipping, to damage, to several other items have been topics for discussions.

So I don't have a problem with off board transactions being the subject of PL nomination per se. I do think the further away from the boards the deal occurred the more strident we should be to make sure we get full disclosure from both parties, or at least make sure they both get notice that this is happening and then if they ignore the process it's on them.

If we want to protect and inform our members with this list we need to make sure the list is protected.

Well, I told the offending party that I was going to nominate him for probation here and sent him a link to the discussion here as well so that he could read others opinions on his behavior. I was hoping that he would recognize the error of his ways and would take responsibility for his actions. I was also hoping he would follow through with the sale.

I never heard from him again.

Well, I told the offending party that I was going to nominate him for probation here and sent him a link to the discussion here as well so that he could read others opinions on his behavior. I was hoping that he would recognize the error of his ways and would take responsibility for his actions. I was also hoping he would follow through with the sale.

I never heard from him again.

Well, if you've given him that chance then it's time to lay the entire thing out here. There's a time window for him to respond, if he doesn't then we'll go on your side of it.

Let fly.

So can I put this person on the probation list? It was a piece of original art and everyone I've shared the story with in the hobby is demanding that I out this board member. He has stopped responding to my emails and I made it clear to him that I was putting him on probation if he did not go through with the deal and that keeping the piece was not a solution.

If you have solid proof (emails, PM's,etc.) that show you have a solid deal in place to buy that piece of artwork, the deal was started or agreed to on this board, and that this person sold it to someone else for more money, and it's that dead bang then I would say yes.

I think you'd be entitled to the profit he made over and above your contracted and agreed to price as recompense.

If he kept the piece or changed his mind about selling entirely before you had a chance to perform it's a hell of a lot more murky. I am not sure any court would force the sale (specific performance) without some sort of real detrimental reliance on your part, some actual damage to you other than not getting this piece of artwork.

On the CGC boards, a deal is a deal.

The more I think about it, you're right.

Chris aka comix4fun has shared his own experiences with this guy and based on other stories that I've heard we all think that it's in the best interest of everyone to know who this person is.

JMG formerly Crees Tyler on the boards aka Christopher Gomez (and apparently he also goes by JeanMarc Perez but I never dealt with him under this alias). He's based in Paris.

He changed his board name since this occurred to JMG which again reinforces that rather than face responsibility he continues to try to side step the problem.

I contacted Cress through CAF the day he posted a certain piece and he was already open to selling it. He wanted a certain number if he could buy something else with the money he liked more plus one of my pages. I offered a little less. He was fine with that but no one would sell him anything he wanted. Then he tells me he would take a higher number outright. Then he emails me and says someone offered just shy of that new number. I say, what if I offered the higher number outright? He said, I'll ship you the page. I said fine - where do I paypal. He told the other guy that it was sold. The guy offered over and above. He came back to me and said he now needed over and above plus more but there would be no more back and forth. I did not appreciate that and noted that we had a deal. I told him he had two choices - sell me the page for the number he wanted or sell it to the other guy and I would put him on probation and let everyone know what he did. He opted for option 3 - keep the cover. I told him that was only prolonging the issue and not a solution. I think he thought it was fun and games due to his good fortune in acquiring this piece until he did this and it was clear I was not going to put up with it.

It's become apparent based on the other stories that I've been told that you should probably be very cautious when dealing with him if you think that you are negotiating in good faith when trying to buy from him or that a deal is a deal.

It also appears that he's left the CGC Boards because if you try to search his old postings that they no longer exist. He is still on CAF though.

Chris aka comix4fun has shared his own experiences with this guy and based on other stories that I've heard we all think that it's in the best interest of everyone to know who this person is.

Cress Tyler on the boards aka Christopher Gomez (and apparently he also goes by JeanMarc Perez but I never dealt with him under this alias). He's based in Paris.

I contacted Cress through CAF the day he posted a certain piece and he was already open to selling it. He wanted a certain number if he could buy something else with the money he liked more plus one of my pages. I offered a little less. He was fine with that but no one would sell him anything he wanted. Then he tells me he would take a higher number outright. Then he emails me and says someone offered just shy of that new number. I say, what if I offered the higher number outright? He said, I'll ship you the page. I said fine - where do I paypal. He told the other guy that it was sold. The guy offered over and above. He came back to me and said he now needed over and above plus more but there would be no more back and forth. I did not appreciate that and noted that we had a deal. I told him he had two choices - sell me the page for the number he wanted or sell it to the other guy and I would put him on probation and let everyone know what he did. He opted for option 3 - keep the cover. I told him that was only prolonging the issue and not a solution. I think he thought it was fun and games due to his good fortune in acquiring this piece until he did this and it was clear I was not going to put up with it.

It's become apparent based on the other stories that I've been told that you should probably be very cautious when dealing with him if you think that you are negotiating in good faith when trying to buy from him or that a deal is a deal.

It also appears that he's left the CGC Boards because if you try to search his old postings that they no longer exist. He is still on CAF though.

Based on the bold section above, you've got a deal with him.

Unless he comes on here with proof to the contrary, he's got to make this right.

His attempt to extort more money out of you is shameful. He attempted to play you and the other buyer against each other without being forthright about it. He accepted a number with you, which you then confirmed, and then got greedy.

If he has any honor, ethics or integrity he will honor that deal at that number.

If he doesn't honor the deal he belongs on the probation list.

Here's the email exchange (certain parts redacted for privacy)

Hello David,

Just to tell you that's someone have make me an amazing offer for my xxx...

He asks me my price, I have told him a stupid number (xk) and he told me xk.

I'm really sorry, but that's a lot of money, and I would be stupid to not accept it!

I hope you will understand,

Chris

Me:

What if I would offer x?

Sent from my iPhone

Him:

I send you the art tomorrow ! ;))

Me:

fine lets do it

how do I pay you?

check?

I'm leaving shortly to travel home for Thanksgiving but if you want me to paypal you then I can do that right now

I would paypal you x

Him:

I'm sorry but I told to the other guy that the piece was just sold at my asking price and he just offer xk to close the deal right now.

I'm really sorry but I can't say no, except if you can do xk.

I'm sorry, I had told you xk (the agreed price he "sold" it to me for) but I had no idea that he could offer xk and I'm sure you can understand I don't want to miss on xk.

If you can't pay xk, and really I will understand, you'll have to try to buy it from his next owner and I believe it wil be tough as he loves it as you or even more.

Sorry for the bad news but I still wanted to tell you before confirming the other guy as we've discussing it for weeks and because you were the first...

AND IF YOU SAY YES, I WILL NOT REPLY TO HIS EMAIL OR OFFER !!! I WILL END THIS "MAD AUCTION" RIGHT NOW !

-end-

Please note that we had a deal on the number he wanted and then this other person offered more and then he didn't just want me to match the other number, he wanted me to beat it.

There are more details to this story. It gets worse actually but this is enough.

Sound like it went from a sale to an auction in mid-stream.

If there even was a third party.

lol

Sometimes you are bidding against "the house" and you don't realize.

Hello all,

Regrettably it seems I am forced to nominate another member for the list.

You do realize you have posted a photo containing your home address, right? :facepalm:

Fudge :frustrated:

If it means anything at all, I did receive my books from that thread quite a while ago. Might be he truly is having some problems. Regardless, hope he is fine.

I hate to do this, but 2 problems with relatively new boardies has forced me...

1 problem was resolved thanks to mentioning in the Probation Thread and hopefully will be resolved, but another has taken a turn which is unfortunate:

Here is the story:

Recently I offered a pre-sale on Bedlam RRP 9.8 copies. All copies have graded and are on their way to me and all are 9.8.

Hidden (board member I am nominating) purchased the book and sent paypal for the purchase, and as soon as the book arrived to me it would be shipped to him.

Payment was made through Paypal on 11/29/12

Yesterday, I get a PM stating that he would like a refund as his Bedlam RRP that he thought was a 9.2/9.4 came back a 9.8, so he does not need 2 copies of the book. I reflected on it throughout the day, came home to another PM stating I read his PM and he would like his money back.

I replied that the sale was not contingent upon his personal copy receiving a certain grade from CGC and that I would not be offering a refund.

He replied that he was hoping I would 'cut him a break' on it and that is where I thought it ended.

I just received the following Paypal dispute with this information posted in the message box:

"I would like to cancel the transaction. I have contacted the seller and it was stated to me that he has yet to receive the item. I no longer need or want the item and I would like a refund. No merchandise has yet been sent. The seller has not given a definitive time of delivery nor has one been suggested. The sold merchandise is still at a 3rd party location per the seller. Please refund my money at the earliest convenience. I wish not to wait for the merchandise any longer.

Thank you."

I would like to nominate Hidden for the Probation Thread.