• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your Anti-Communist Comics!
8 8

638 posts in this topic

I picked up a few well-known anti-communism books, and a few not so well-known, at the San Diego Comic Con.

From Yalta to Korea (1952)

Fromyaltatokorea.jpg

It is Time for Reason Not Treason (1967) - This is a Vietnam era anti-communism flyer published by a virulent anti-semetic organization (fortunately now pretty much destroyed) called Liberty Lobby.

Itstimeforreason.jpg

Picture Parade (Sept 1953) - Not as much anti-communism, but a nice Cold War piece. This is the teacher's version.

Pictureparade.jpg

Two Faces of Communism (1961) - This is, apparently, a rarer form of this book and features a glossy cover. It is not listed in the Guide.

Twofacesofcommunism1.jpg

Two Faces of Communism (1961) - The standard version.

Twofacesofcommunism2.jpg

Great stuff Mark!- I'd never heard of the Liberty Lobby book - it goes on my want list! There seem to be alot of anti-communist giveaways not listed in the guide. Actually there are alot of giveaways period not in the guide - it seems to be the last frontier for discovering new stuff.

It is Time for Reason Not Treason (1967) - This is a Vietnam era anti-communism flyer published

by a virulent anti-semetic organization (fortunately now pretty much destroyed) called Liberty Lobby.

Two Faces of Communism (1961) - This is, apparently, a rarer form of this book and features a

glossy cover. It is not listed in the Guide.

Esquire,

The quantity and quality of you anti-communist collection is striking. I am most impressed.

I never heard of “IT'S TIME FOR REASON NOT TREASON.” Good pickup. thumbsup2.gif

I have seen copies of "From Yalta to Korea" but it is still on my open list since I am waiting for

a high grade slabbed copy to surface.

I have seen only the glossy cover version of “Two Faces of Communism” up close. I do know that

Overstreet shows the other version in their price guide. Since you have the two versions, was the

glossy version just a cover added? I would think the insides are exactly the same. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Edited by Harvey Dude

I have seen only the glossy cover version of “Two Faces of Communism” up close. I do know that Overstreet shows the other version in their price guide. Since you have the two versions, was the glossy version just a cover added? I would think the insides are exactly the same. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

HD, I first saw these two books, which were owned by Motor City, at the Phila Wizard show. Mike Goldman had just picked them up and had never seen a glossy cover before. He wasn't even sure how to price them, and held back from selling them at that time. However, he kindly brought them to SD for me and we negotiated a deal.

Mike and I spent a bunch of time discussing why the existence of the two covers. As I noted, the glossy cover is not listed in the guide. After looking through both books we discovered that they were not identical. The last page is slightly different, mainly to allow for promotion of the book for future sale.

My initial thoughts were that either the glossy came out first and proved too expensive, or the paper copy was first and it was decided it was not "sharp" looking enough to promote.

After reading the books the other night (BTW, the story is really interesting), it looks to me that the paper copy came out first followed by the glossy version. The back of the paper version advertises the book for sale at $90 per 1,000 and offers to imprint a personalized message on the book. Lesser quantities are available for sale with no imprinted message. There is no reference to the glossy cover version.

The glossy version, on the other hand, states in the inside that a "standard" cover version is available for sale at 100 for $10. It also advertises the paper copy at the same price referenced above.

Presumably, based on the ads, thousands of the paper version did or were going to, if ordered, exist. Who knows about the glossy version. CGC has only graded one at 4.5 and that actually sold on e-bay within the last two weeks.

I am still researching the publisher of these books, and information is - to say the least - illusive. 893whatthe.gif

I actually found out about the other version that Michael Goldman had around the time of Wizard World Philly. I am sure we will add this to the guide.

I am still researching the publisher of these books, and information is - to say the least - illusive. 893whatthe.gif

Several years ago, I tried to find out information on the Christian Anti-Communism Crusade

(Publisher of Double Talk and Two Faces of Communism). I tried to get hold of Fred Schwarz

(author of You Can Trust the Communists to be Communists) at P.O. Box 890, Long Beach, CA 90801-0890.

If memory serves me, my letter requesting information was undeliverable.

Maybe you wil have more luck in locating information regarding your purchases. thumbsup2.gif

Several years ago, I tried to find out information on the Christian Anti-Communism Crusade

(Publisher of Double Talk and Two Faces of Communism). I tried to get hold of Fred Schwarz

(author of You Can Trust the Communists to be Communists) at P.O. Box 890, Long Beach, CA 90801-0890.

If memory serves me, my letter requesting information was undeliverable.

Maybe you wil have more luck in locating information regarding your purchases. thumbsup2.gif

Harvey, here's what looks like the current website for the Christian Anti-Communism Crusade. For some reason I always thought this was a Catholic group with ties to the Our Lady of Fatima movement, but it looks like a Protestant organization:

web page

I actually found out about the other version that Michael Goldman had around the time of Wizard World Philly. I am sure we will add this to the guide.

I'd say its worth at least $1,000! 893applaud-thumb.gifmakepoint.gif

An attempt to manipulate the maket,...?!? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

poke2.gif

Harvey, here's what looks like the current website for the Christian Anti-Communism Crusade. For some reason I always thought this was a Catholic group with ties to the Our Lady of Fatima movement, but it looks like a Protestant organization:

web page

Thanks for the lead. I was looking over the newsletters for 1962-1963 and ran across this little tidbit.

"When our educational program against Communism is judged objectively, we usually receive high commendation. The pictorial booklet "If Communism Comes to Mexico" has been widely distributed in that country. It does not, of course, mention the Christian Anti-Communism Crusade. A copy of it reached the hands of the editor of the Tucson Daily Citizen and they published the following."

"Page 14, Tuesday Evening, Aug. 27, 1963

"The Hammer is Heavy and The Sickle Drips Blood

"It’s a little booklet printed in bright colors on pulp paper–the sort of thing called a "comic" book here in the United States. But its contents are not comic. On the cover, superimposed upon a map of Mexico, are the crossed hammer and sickle, emblem of communism. The hammer is heavy and black. The sickle drips red blood."

Sounds similar to "Double Talk" with the sickle dripping blood. I believe Double Talk came out around 1961.

Edited by Harvey Dude