• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your Anti-Communist Comics!
8 8

638 posts in this topic

Heya folks, just got this back from CGC today, so I thought I'd use it as the start of a hopefully fun thread. This one came back as a 9.0! Not bad for a book from 1947!! headbang.gif (I think this one's undervalued in guide at 180...whatdaya all think?)

Looking forward to seeing what goodies you guys have got stashed under yer pillows!

657927-IsThisTomorrow.JPG.4a221e9600aad015696a092dc2a745df.JPG

Congrats on the excellent grade! While a 9.0 might sell for more than $180, Is This Tomorrow is probably the most available anti-communist comic out there - they must have printed up millions of them. There is likely at least one copy on Ebay at any given time. Compare this to books like America Menaced, Plot to Steal the World and Red Iceberg, comics which rarely seem to appear on Ebay. It is a great piece of propaganda, and no atom age collection should be without one.

Very true, good point...Is This Tomorrow is the most common of the bunch, though finding any of these giveaways in high grade is pretty remarkable.

I own a very nice copy of America Menaced.. I'll have to dig that up and throw it on the scanner later. The other two you mentioned I haven't got (yet)....Heritage is selling a fantastic copy of WWIII #1 on ebay right now, that's a cool book too that's kinda in this little niche....but they want $1,300 for it, and that's too much for my budget just now..

Yeah, WWIII #1 and Atomic War #1 are fantastic books - I'll stick with my VG copies for now, but if

I were a high grade collector, I'd be seriously considering the WWIII on ebay - a 9.2 for 150% of guide - I imagine a VG copy could probably sell for 150% of guide.

Congrats on the excellent grade! While a 9.0 might sell for more than $180, Is This Tomorrow is probably the most available anti-communist comic out there - they must have printed up millions of them. There is likely at least one copy on Ebay at any given time. Compare this to books like America Menaced, Plot to Steal the World and Red Iceberg, comics which rarely seem to appear on Ebay. It is a great piece of propaganda, and no atom age collection should be without one.

One of my Ebay searches is for the Red Iceberg. My search notes that the last posting was 5 October 2003. Of course, there may have been other copies since then but I only search by Title.

Thanks for the link, Harveydude! Wow, what an amazing collection you've assembled. Mine pales in comparison. How long have you been collecting this genre of books?

I love that iceberg cover...I'll have to search one of those out!

I have been acquiring the anti-Communist books since the mid-eighties. My biggest accomplishment was getting all five variations of the Red Iceberg - all CGC graded (5 of the 6 certified copies). With time, you should not have a problem locating the Impact Press variant as they are out there. thumbsup2.gif

Just dug up my America Menaced! Check this one out gents, it's the Lost Valley copy, CGC 9.6 (unrestored). I paid a healthy multiple for this, but at the time I had a few extra bucks and what the hey, it is an irreplaceable book. Plus it's the only book where I've got Harvey beat!! 27_laughing.gif

Feast yer eyes... cloud9.gif

658733-2001CGClabellores0021.JPG.bdd9d7307ef82e385cc8b5a0d1341f0e.JPG

Here are a few:

813026004o.jpg813026001o.jpg

Nice books and interesting thread but I have a slightly OT question for anyone who might know: When did the Sub-Mariner get his ankle wings? I noticed on these two covers they are absent. Or has he always had them and are just left off by certain artists? confused-smiley-013.gif

Shrunk, Madcowcomics and Basementcomics are the two dealers who turned up the Lost Valley find, so it would make sense if one of them sold it to you.

Does your book have a faint cover reading crease? A number of the Lost Valley books seems to have faint creases, but are otherwise in terrific condition. I love the Master Comics 27 that I have from that find.