• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave & Bold #28: Speculation on future pricing
4 4

2,741 posts in this topic

Just a friendly discussion of this Silver Age key...

Since WB just got the rights to Superman all wrapped up last month they decided to fast track the JLA movie. Prior to that it was in a legal limbo, with serious questions about any properties involving supes after 2013.

Now that it's all behind them, they've seen how The Avengers movie performed and obviously they're going to attempt to cash in.

At any rate, I'm curious how folks feel about this impacting the prices of Brave and the Bold #28...or even the Justice Leage of America #1.

The CGC Census report indicates that this comic has 457 slabbed books, 364 of which are not restored.

There's only two known pedigrees out there also: Savannah and Twin Cities.

The highest recorded sales price was $60,375.00 for a 9.4. Doesn't appear to be any higher known grade.

When comparing this to #s of other comics from relatively the same era that have been influenced by big blockbuster movies like the Avengers...

Avengers #1 has 1774 known slabbed books.

Highest recorded sale is $274,850.00

So what do you think personally? Is this book on track to increase like FF#1, Avengers #1, even Action comics #1 or Detective Comics #27?

P.S.-Usually some toolbags in this forum drop some clownshoe comments like every question asked is obvious and unwarranted. If that's your take, then take a flying leap and save yourself the trouble of posting. If you want to productively discuss this topic, then by all means do so. If not, go be an assjack elsewhere. Capiche?

lol

Jackassery comment: Let me check my crystal ball!

Discussion comment: Hard to say, there are many more slabbed Marvels than there are DC books (issue for issue in the Silver Age) but you have that much more demand as well.

Making a credible DC movie without

a) layering the groundwork the way Marvel did with multiple single hero movies

b) having an over all battle plan spanning half a decade

...is going to be very difficult for DC to do.

There's alot of discussion about DC's haphazzard plan to roll out the movie without the preliminary character movies ala Marvel.

That's definitely a bone headed move IMHO, but given that fact I stil think a JLA movie could be a winner.

Of course there's also alot of talk about how "great" the Batman movies by Nolan were....my personal take is that they sucked.

Bane sounded like Henry Kissenger....and the twist with Ra's al Ghul's daughter honestly blew.

I think Bale was too brooding and generally unpleasant.

The Superman Returns movie was another utter disappointment. Maybe Man of Steel will be better? I know there's also talk about the new Superman being used in the continuity of the JLA movie.

Alot of b*tching and moaning about the GL movie too.....beyond the villan being a horrible representation of Parallax....I liked it. I also liked the teaser with Sinestro and the yellow power ring at the end and I'm looking forward to another installment.

If they at WB could even generate a fraction of the interest and scope that they did with the Harry Potter franchise.....a JLA movie could easily be as successful as an Avenger's flick.

My biggest issue however is that it's inevitably going to be an "origin" story....they typically suck for fans of the comics....and are at best interesting for folks new to the media. I still think that given those ups and downs that JLA could be a force to be reckoned with.......every single animated thing that WB has released has been gold. Hopefully they can do the same with a live action film. It's unfortunate that they can't be persuaded into taking the same route Marvel/Disney has with the introduction of the basic characters in their own flicks first....but not a total deal breaker.

First of all I am not keen in investing in DC silver age comic books. I like DC silver age comics to read,but usually the are slow movers. With that being said

we find that Brave & Bold #28 is something special.

The last time I suggested a pick about a silver age DC comicbook it was Showcase 22, and that eventually exploded in prices across the board. I now highly recommend Brave & Bold #28.

Brave & Bold #28 will be considered DC`s Fantastic Four #1.

Hopefully Warner will do a better job with the Justice League moviewise, than it did with Green Lantern, but it won`t matter because it`s all about buying now and selling right before the JLA movie, then rinse and repeat on to the next blockbuster superhero movie. ;)

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

...because it`s all about buying now and selling right before the JLA movie, then rinse and repeat on to the next blockbuster superhero movie. ;)

I disagree. it's all about buying what you like and paying no more than the comic is worth to you. If you do that, then the market can do what it will and you'll still be happy with your purchase.

If you're looking for an investment, comics aren't a good one. They're far too illiquid, meaning there's far too big a spread between bid and ask prices. Stocks and mortgages as broad asset classes look pretty good right now. They're cheap in comparison with the overall level of interest rates.

:preach:

Edited by Hepcat

...because it`s all about buying now and selling right before the JLA movie, then rinse and repeat on to the next blockbuster superhero movie. ;)

I disagree. it's all about buying what you like and paying no more than the comic is worth to you. If you do that, then the market can do what it will and you'll still be happy with your purchase.

if you're looking for an investment, comics aren't a good one. They're far too illiquid, meaning there's far too big a spread between bid and ask prices. Stocks and mortgages as broad asset classes look pretty good right now. They're cheap in comparison with the overall level of interest rates.

:preach:

I totally agree with your line of thinking except for the Marvel silver age keys. If your going to invest in comics those are the best bet long-term in any grade,as everything else in comics is speculation at best. (thumbs u

Since WB just got the rights to Superman all wrapped up last month they decided to fast track the JLA movie. Prior to that it was in a legal limbo, with serious questions about any properties involving supes after 2013.

Now that it's all behind them, they've seen how The Avengers movie performed and obviously they're going to attempt to cash in.

At any rate, I'm curious how folks feel about this impacting the prices of Brave and the Bold #28...or even the Justice Leage of America #1.

The CGC Census report indicates that this comic has 457 slabbed books, 364 of which are not restored.

The highest recorded sales price was $60,375.00 for a 9.4. Doesn't appear to be any higher known grade.

When comparing this to #s of other comics from relatively the same era that have been influenced by big blockbuster movies like the Avengers...

So what do you think personally? Is this book on track to increase like FF#1, Avengers #1, even Action comics #1 or Detective Comics #27?

P.S.-Usually some toolbags in this forum drop some clownshoe comments like every question asked is obvious and unwarranted. If that's your take, then take a flying leap and save yourself the trouble of posting. If you want to productively discuss this topic, then by all means do so. If not, go be an assjack elsewhere. Capiche?

overall I think BB28 is a great book.

but your premise that all systems are go due to recent court rulings is off base. The most recent decision blocked the Shusters from claiming THEIR half of Supermans origin/Action 1.

the Siegels already WON their half of Superman (as depicted in Action 1 only) and TW still must devise a settlement based on what the Siegels are owed and stand to be paid out of profits going forward.

So YES buy BB28.

but NOT with any urgency compared to say last month.

Problem I have with Brave and the Bold 28 while it is actually from my experience a harder comic to find than say an FF #1, X-Men #1, or an Avengers #1 it has always had some negative appeal to me for some various reasons.

1. All the superheroes in this comic had their origins in other comics.

2. It is not the first DC Superteam

3. It is not the D.C. comic that launched the Silver Age for D.C.

I would argue go for the origins of the characters being portrayed in the JLA film that are affordable like a Showcase 22, Detective Comics 225, All Star Comics 8 they routinely go for well under what they should go for, and More Fun Comics 73. Those are the comics that have potential to go up substantially after the film. Action 1, Detective 27, and Showcase 4 are at peak prices and I don't think a film will affect their values.

FF#1 it is the start of the silver age for Marvel and all the characters had their origins in that book.

X-Men #1 All superheroes make their first appearance in this comic and a top ten villain in comics possibly top five.

What I like about Brave and the Bold 28

1. Hard comic to find

2. Have more respect for than Avengers #1, to me Avengers #4 means more than #1

3. Lets face it they are DC's number most liked superhero team

Being primarily a DC collector I am glad most collectors in our subculture are chasing marvel keys :) IMO B&B28 is a smart investment right now.

It is a smart investment, but I would list the comics in this order as the ones you should invest in a result of this film.

1. All Star Comics #8 - Wonder Woman's first appearance. Routinely goes for well under guide price.

2. Detective Comics #225 - Martian Manhunter's first appearance. A very affordable comic right now to where alot of the people outside of comics are unfamiliar with him

3. More Fun Comics 73 - Aquaman's and Green Arrow's first appearance another comic that goes for extremely cheap prices in my experience

4. Showcase 22 - Hal Jordan's first appearance this comic still goes for very affordable prices

5. Brave and the Bold 28 - I have to go with hero's first appearances first over the team, this issue does offer the nicest entry investment off all the issues I listed and that should be considered.

]

Just a friendly discussion of this Silver Age

Problem I have with Brave and the Bold 28 while it is actually from my experience a harder comic to find than say an FF #1, X-Men #1, or an Avengers #1 it has always had some negative appeal to me for some various reasons.

Couldn't the same be said for say Avengers #4? The re introduction of cap in marvel continuity hardly counts as an origin imo

The book obviously is a little hard to find and I think a lot of the more casual collectors overlook it because they simply don't know it exist as the 1st Justice League and instead are more worried about the marvel boat that left port years before the avengers movie was cool.

no- it's DC. WB hasn't shown they've been able to do anything worthwhile w/ a character in the movies other than Batman. The latest Superman was a colossal bore. Green Lantern would best be served by some kind of global mindwipe. Maybe Ben Affleck is the guy that can put something together but if they follow Marvel's blueprint for success you're looking at a cohesive JLA movie in 2020. BTW, the unreported re-sale of the 9.4 you reference was well north of $60k IIRC. Rarity in HG, like many other Silver DC, is the best thing this book has going for it.

I think most of the DC SA keys are undervalued compared to the Marvel keys. Most of them are also scarcer - especially in high grade. So regardless of the success of a JLA movie, I believe it's wise to look at aquiring a Brave and Bold 28

]
Just a friendly discussion of this Silver Age

Couldn't the same be said for say Avengers #4? The re introduction of cap in marvel continuity hardly counts as an origin imo

The book obviously is a little hard to find and I think a lot of the more casual collectors overlook it because they simply don't know it exist as the 1st Justice League and instead are more worried about the marvel boat that left port years before the avengers movie was cool.

It brings Cap into the silver age, but #4 has all the characters most people consider to be the core team that made the Avengers into what they are today. Brave and the Bold 28 does get overlooked, but mainly for the first reason I listed.

Edited by reddwarf666222

IMO, BB28 is the most difficult Silver Age key to find in high grade. Movie hype aside, it is a book worth collecting. It may never attain the investment heights of an AF15 but it is still a good investment. It is way undervalued. What a cool cover. How could you not want a copy !

And Toth, which is the best of them.

The highest recorded sales price was $60,375.00 for a 9.4.

:o What kind of an insufficiently_thoughtful_person would pay that much for a stupid old DC?!

Being primarily a DC collector I am glad most collectors in our subculture are chasing marvel keys :) IMO B&B28 is a smart investment right now.

It is a smart investment, but I would list the comics in this order as the ones you should invest in a result of this film.

1. All Star Comics #8 - Wonder Woman's first appearance. Routinely goes for well under guide price.

2. Detective Comics #225 - Martian Manhunter's first appearance. A very affordable comic right now to where alot of the people outside of comics are unfamiliar with him

3. More Fun Comics 73 - Aquaman's and Green Arrow's first appearance another comic that goes for extremely cheap prices in my experience

4. Showcase 22 - Hal Jordan's first appearance this comic still goes for very affordable prices

5. Brave and the Bold 28 - I have to go with hero's first appearances first over the team, this issue does offer the nicest entry investment off all the issues I listed and that should be considered.

all great books to collect...

however, as "investment advice" a bit risky.

AS8: yes first WW somewhere in the book, but not on the cover which has limited its appeal for decades. Even a movie will face this problem in fueling value increases, but yeah should the film launch a WW franchise, the sky is the limit.

TEC225: had its day. nobody cares anymore and the first SA book crown has slipped off probably for good.

MF73: I agree its a great hidden first appearance gem! but unlikely to spark price appreciation. GA has a TV show and people are still yawning for this book.

SH22: youve seen the raid price appreciation leading up the dud film? Now this book is hanging on by its fingernails. Even the hot SH22 thread cant stay on the main SA page these days.

BB28: to me, the only book on your list worth a shot. It has solid credentials as DCs big team book first appearance, its hard to find in HG, and It has yet to really explode in price. To date only two fools have ever been foolhardy to pay over 50K for a copy! : )