• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Hitler And Axis Covers Comics Do You Have?
11 11

1,133 posts in this topic

I had a great time at the Wizard Chicago con. This show was pretty big and there were tons of comic dealers.

wizardworld104.jpg

I was able to get this cool comic from Al Stoltz of Basement Comics, who always has some unusual comic I need.

Thanks Al (thumbs u

Having your heroes taking on the biggest villain in the world would seem to be a surefire way to boost sales and many publishers featured Hitler on their covers with regularity. .

Compared to some of their competitors, Timely covers were "war centric," so it's not a surprise that they weren't shy about using Hitler's image. Captain America had Hitler on the first two issues of its run. Cover appearances on Marvel Mystery, Miss Fury, Mystic, USA, Young Allies, etc. would seem to indicate that Hitler sold comics.

Everyone from SuperSnipe to Super Duck to Super Rabbit was walloping Hitler. Catman featured 4 Hitler covers in its first 20 issues. Even funny animals took swipes at him.

For some reason, across all their titles and lengthy runs, D.C. had Hitler on only 7 of their covers. Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman took their shots. But many of the heroes in the D.C. stables, like Green Lantern, Flash, Spectre and others, never went after Uncle Adolf.

Here's Wonder Woman's swipe at Hitler:

sensation13.jpg

Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman took their shots. But many of the heroes in the D.C. stables, like Green Lantern, Flash, Spectre and others, never went after Uncle Adolf.

Here's Wonder Woman's swipe at Hitler:

sensation13.jpg

I know for sure there is at least a Wonder Woman story featuring Mussolini (maybe more than one), but don’t know which one. The Boy Commandos have a Mussolini story on Detective #79, of which I hope to find a cheap low grade copy some day. :)

I had a great time at the Wizard Chicago con. This show was pretty big and there were tons of comic dealers.

wizardworld104.jpg

I was able to get this cool comic from Al Stoltz of Basement Comics, who always has some unusual comic I need.

Thanks Al (thumbs u

I can't remember the last time I saw that issue, very cool.