• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing 678 Mary Jane variant....
2 2

1,475 posts in this topic

Just talked to the guy who sold it. I bought a couple slabs off him in the past. He's really cool guy. He had 11 offers on that book. And you say it was over priced? Well looks like him and the other 2 people on ebay (the only 2 people on ebay) that have it, will be laughing all the way to bank.......... lol

Edited by retro_collector

Just talked to the guy who sold it. I bought a couple slabs off him in the past. He's really cool guy. He had 11 offers on that book. And you say it was over priced? Well looks like him and the other 2 people on ebay (the only 2 people on ebay) that have it, will be laughing all the way to bank.......... lol

lol .. ur right about that.

K.

Guy who sold it is a friend of mine. I laughed at him when he posted it as a Buy It Now for $1200. I kept telling him to take the $500 offer as it's a modern variant and will never increas ein value unless all other copies are destroyed. He stuck to his guns and got weay more than I'd ever pay.

I sold a raw copy for $175 on ebay, but it was nowhere near a 9.8. Hats off to him for getting that much for it.

The guy is very nice, talked to him on the phone. Offered $500, but obviously, not close to the sale price. Hopefully, this will flush more of them out of the woodwork. 1:50 variant shouldn't be that rare.

Anyone know the census for 9.8's on this variant? Every ebay auction I've come across all have a litany of spine creases or worse. High grade might be tough to find even on a 1:50 modern variant.

The book is selling for waaaaaaaaaay too much money.

I had the first on the census and I sold it for $85 graded to my #1 ASM subscriber right when it came out.

I've seen the book all year long at cons.

I think people are doing a good job of artificially inflating the price on eBay.

Come to think of it I think I have a raw copy laying around somewhere.

lol

Edited by BeachBum

I had the first on the census and I sold it for $85 graded to my #1 ASM subscriber right when it came out.

I think people are doing a good job of artificially inflating the price on eBay.

Normally I'd agree but this variant seems to have been under ordered and is more scarce than the typical 1 in 50 variants. I've only had one copy, I got mine for $25 and couldn't resist selling mine for $175.

Haven't seen the variant at any cons in the South that I've been to. Do I think 1,000 is a bit much, yeah. As variants don't hold their value very well. But this and the Del'Otto #676 variant seem to be very scarce.

its a huge sale and a great price to get if you are the seller. But its the guy who bought it that will be hard pressed to see a return on it with a price like that.

I agree with Beachbum, sell it now if you have one.

Come to think of it I think I have a raw copy laying around somewhere.

lol

:takeit::kidaround:

The guy is very nice, talked to him on the phone. Offered $500, but obviously, not close to the sale price. Hopefully, this will flush more of them out of the woodwork. 1:50 variant shouldn't be that rare.

Anyone know the census for 9.8's on this variant? Every ebay auction I've come across all have a litany of spine creases or worse. High grade might be tough to find even on a 1:50 modern variant.

5 9.8

1 9.8 SS

5 9.6

Total: 11

But i would think with the price that one got, you can expect those numbers to go up pretty quick.

Print Run for 678 was "54,252"

so approx 1085 in existence, but as webhead1981 mentioned, could be less if most retailers just let the regular count be ordered instead of upping to get it. Given that 677 had a slightly higher print run, thats a safe bet.

Edited by CBT

I've talked to a lot of retailers about this particular one. I think there are way less than 1k of these. True they are popping up on ebay, but that's to be expected when a book starts blowing up like this one has since it's release. Pretty much every issue of Amazing has had a 1:10,1:25 ,or 1:50 variant whatever. Out of the 35; 30 or so retailers i have talked to had no intentions of bumping their orders to reach the 1:50 incentive. Most of these guys sell around 30-40 copies of amazing. Since most of these amazing variants sit in the $10 box of who gives a frak there was no urgency to raise up another 10 copies just to get another spider-man variant. If you add up all the stores that bought under 50 copies, it will add up to a pretty decent number. I would be surprised if there are more than 500-600 of these. Also, the copies i have inspected came in with spine dings galore.

5 9.8

1 9.8 SS

5 9.6

Total: 11

But i would think with the price that one got, you can expect those numbers to go up pretty quick.

Print Run for 678 was "54,252"

so approx 1085 in existence, but as webhead1981 mentioned, could be less if most retailers just let the regular count be ordered instead of upping to get it. Given that 677 had a slightly higher print run, thats a safe bet.

I've talked to a lot of retailers about this particular one. I think there are way less than 1k of these. True they are popping up on ebay, but that's to be expected when a book starts blowing up like this one has since it's release. Pretty much every issue of Amazing has had a 1:10,1:25 ,or 1:50 variant whatever. Out of the 35; 30 or so retailers i have talked to had no intentions of bumping their orders to reach the 1:50 incentive. Most of these guys sell around 30-40 copies of amazing. Since most of these amazing variants sit in the $10 box of who gives a frak there was no urgency to raise up another 10 copies just to get another spider-man variant. If you add up all the stores that bought under 50 copies, it will add up to a pretty decent number. I would be surprised if there are more than 500-600 of these. Also, the copies i have inspected came in with spine dings galore.

Interesting hm As of this post, there isn't a single copy for sale on eBay.

Edit: Also, you're right about the spine dings, my OO copy has a few of them and a lot of the copies I have seen for sale have had them too.

Edited by Halo65

Interesting hm As of this post, there isn't a single copy for sale on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASM-Spider-man-678-Venom-Variant-1-50-RARE-NM-/160887650985

two raw ones have sold since that big sale, so he probably meant this one plus those two, for three. With the $1000 sale i wouldnt expect any to hang around long :ohnoez:

Edited by CBT