Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#5980633 - 09/04/12 06:51 PM FAMOUS MONSTERS #4 / GHOUL'S EYE STICKER VARIANT
Batko Offline
Talkative?

Last Thursday afternoon I logged on to eBay to check out the new auctions for Famous Monsters of Filmland, and staring me in the face at the top of the list was a copy of FM #4 with the Ghoul's Eye sticker!

From time to time I've seen a copy come up for auction, usually in pretty poor condition. This one looked really nice and I was about to move down the list thinking that I wasn't going to torture myself in an auction I could not afford and had no chance of winning. Then I almost fell off my chair when I noticed that the mag was on a Buy-It-Now for $149!!!

Apparently, it had only been just put up for auction less than half an hour before I found it and no one had spotted it yet. I quickly looked at the pics the seller posted and decided to just go for it. As I hit the "BUY" button and then the "COMMIT TO BUY" button my hand was trembling and my heart was racing knowing full well that this treasure could disappear before my very eyes if someone was doing the same thing faster than me.

Anyway, I won the auction and received the magazine today. It seems that the seller's friend passed away and his brother had no interest in the magazines so the seller got them. Not realizing the value of FM #4 with the Ghoul's Eye sticker he somehow came up with the $149.00 Buy-It-Now price. (Nostomania lists this issue in FINE + / 6.5, not slabbed at $2,700).

I had to brag and sent an email of to Steve Dolnick (SDMonster) who congratulated me on a "GREAT deal." As Steve said, "That's the fun part of collecting. Everyone has a story like that, but not one with a FM #4 sticker variant!"

Below are some photos. The magazine lays completely flat, still has some gloss, off-white pages, good spine with medium wear-NO splitting. The only issue is that the previous owner stamped a small rubber stamp on the back cover of the magazine (see pic). I would give this one a FINE + / 6.5.
Please feel free to give it a grade.

MY BRAGGING IS OVER! THANKS FOR TOLERATING ME!! lol
- Mike

http://Support-the-Collectors-Society.com/itm/160874578253?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Go directly to the link of the auction. 8 photos are there. I can't believe this nonsense. The photos I took and the photos from the auction are too "big" to put here. This system they use to put photos on posts stinks. Half the time I try to post a pic it is "too big>."

#5980657 - 09/04/12 07:03 PM Re: FAMOUS MONSTERS #4 / GHOUL'S EYE STICKER VARIANT [Re: Batko]
batmiesta Offline
Chatzilla

Loc: united kingdom
Nice one .
#5981466 - 09/04/12 11:34 PM Re: FAMOUS MONSTERS #4 / GHOUL'S EYE STICKER VARIANT [Re: batmiesta]
bronzejunkie Offline
The Collectinator

Loc: Vancouver, BC
I think I hate you.

haha!

That is a ghoulishly good score, sir! (I tried a Forry line there)-- Seriously, impressed. My crappy 2.0 copy cost me a lot more.

#5981469 - 09/04/12 11:35 PM Re: FAMOUS MONSTERS #4 / GHOUL'S EYE STICKER VARIANT [Re: bronzejunkie]
bronzejunkie Offline
The Collectinator

Have you looked into what else the seller might have waiting in the wings?
#5981860 - 09/05/12 07:14 AM Re: FAMOUS MONSTERS #4 / GHOUL'S EYE STICKER VARIANT [Re: bronzejunkie]
Batko Offline
Talkative?

In my correspondence with him he mentioned that the FM #4 was the only really old issue he had come across. The rest started from around FM #30 and up. I put him in my "Saved Sellers" list and have been checking a few times a day since I won the auction, but nothing that interests me has turned up.

He had a few FMs up for auction (the earliest being FM #32/1965 for $29) and a bunch of comics that I never heard of. Also, he must have got some info from someone, because it appears that he revised his auction prices upwards on the comics that were left.

I just looked and the only comics he had left were 5 issues of "KONGA" for $75 (revised upward from a couple of days ago). I'm not famliar with "KONGA," but since it has a 10 cent cover price I am assuming the comic is from the early 1960s or late 1950s. He has issue #1 in the lot and they look like they are in really good shape. This could be someone's FM #4 sticker variant!

Mike

#5982981 - 09/05/12 04:37 PM Re: FAMOUS MONSTERS #4 / GHOUL'S EYE STICKER VARIANT [Re: Batko]
Batko Offline
Talkative?

After my adrenaline finally subsided and I was able to get control of my bragging over my FM #4 Ghoul's Eye sticker variant, I started to wonder what the actual "Ghoul's Eye" ride looked like

I found the photo below on the internet. It's not exactly what I expected from the sticker advertisement on the cool FM #4 variant cover.

By the way, the FM #4 cover does not picture a "Ghoul's Eye." I believe it is an artist's rendition of one of the Martians from H.G. Wells' "WAR OF THE WORLDS." - Mike

"THE GHOUL'S EYE" RIDE IN WILLOW GROVE AMUSEMENT PARK, PHILADELPHIA, PENNSYLVANIA, CIRCA 1959

Attachments
129687.jpg
Description:

#5983135 - 09/05/12 05:29 PM Re: FAMOUS MONSTERS #4 / GHOUL'S EYE STICKER VARIANT [Re: Batko]
bronzejunkie Offline
The Collectinator

Very cool!-- Not to take away from your amazing snag on ebay but I was thinking if you're on a roll luck wise, could you please go out and find one of these to show off to us all---

http://myweb.wvnet.edu/e-gor/mtgraves/fm6cover.html

Now, thats rare!

#5983448 - 09/05/12 07:20 PM Re: FAMOUS MONSTERS #4 / GHOUL'S EYE STICKER VARIANT [Re: bronzejunkie]
Batko Offline
Talkative?

Originally Posted By: bronzejunkie
Very cool!-- Not to take away from your amazing snag on ebay but I was thinking if you're on a roll luck wise, could you please go out and find one of these to show off to us all---

http://myweb.wvnet.edu/e-gor/mtgraves/fm6cover.html

Now, thats rare!

Yep, FM #6 with MT Graves sticker is the rarest of all issues of FM ever printed with FM #4 sticker variant and FM #4 coming in second and third. There are only 5 or 6 legitimate copies known to exist. This issue was distributed only in the Miami area.

However, the true HOLY GRAIL of the Famous Monster of Filmland legacy is FM #7 with the LUCKY 7 handstamped on one of the interior pages. There are NO copies known to be in existence.

For those who do not know, 100 to 200 copies of FM #7/June 1960 had one of their interior pages handstamped with a LUCKY 7. The reader who had an issue with the stamp could tear out the page and mail to FM in order to receive a free life time subscription to the magazine. The fact that the page had to be torn out all but insured that no copies with the LUCKY 7 survived.

Be that as it may, I'm going to check my FM #7 variants to see if any have the LUCKY 7. Anyone out there with a copy should do the same. You never know. The magazine would be more valuable than Action Comics #1!

Mike

THE RAREST ISSUES OF FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND

Attachments
129694.jpg
Description:

129695.jpg
Description:

129697.jpg
Description:

Edited by Batko (09/05/12 07:27 PM)

#5983953 - 09/05/12 09:58 PM Re: FAMOUS MONSTERS #4 / GHOUL'S EYE STICKER VARIANT [Re: Batko]
bronzejunkie Offline
The Collectinator

I remember talking about Lucky 7's on the boards here a while back. They sound like the ultimate FM prize. There has to be at least a few that are rolling around in collections. If anyone out there in CGC forum land knows of anyone who has seen one, I for one would love to see or hear about it.
#5984099 - 09/05/12 10:45 PM Re: FAMOUS MONSTERS #4 / GHOUL'S EYE STICKER VARIANT [Re: Batko]
mrwoogieman Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: THE LOST LAND
Thanks for all the awesome info!

\(thumbs u

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  Gemma, cgcmod2, cgcmod3, Harshen, cgcmod, dena, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod7, cgcmod8, CCGmod0, Barbara T, Matt Nelson, cgcmod9, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, plitch, ccgmod1 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
2014 Gold Kennedys Early Releases $1480 for 70s
by Slayeron
Yesterday at 09:28 AM
Foreign silver for sale EDITED
by stldanceartist
Yesterday at 12:55 AM
1923 Liberty Head Silver Dollar
by krighton
08/25/14 09:19 PM
Great coins for sale all reasonable offers accepted
by wmfielding
08/25/14 03:04 PM
Comics Marketplace
Chew 41 cover
by tjanse
47 minutes 13 seconds ago
Chew 19 cgc 9.8 ss. FF 1 cgc 9.8 cgc ss 9.4
by tjanse
Today at 01:36 PM
Spider-Man #1 Platinum 9.4, ASM 361 9.8 Newsstand, NM 98 Newsstand
by bronzilla
Today at 12:02 PM
Teen titans 14 cgc ss 8.0 nick Cardy / asm 59 cgc 9.4 in route to me
by tjanse
Today at 11:57 AM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.06 seconds in which 0.048 seconds were spent on a total of 16 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

125 x 125 - Geppi's Entertainment Museum