• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quality Time - Have a Cigar!
6 6

586 posts in this topic

Quality Time

Seems this board is lacking a dedicated thread to showcase the works of one of the most underrated publishers of the golden age, Quality Comics. So I'm starting this one to fill the void. :acclaim:

So brag about your Blackhawks and Barkers, present your Police and Plastic Mans, show-off your Smashes and Spirits, tout your Torchys and T-Mans, display your Doll-Mans, flash your Features, and...uhhh...crow about your Crack(s)! :blush: If you've got Quality books, we want to see 'em here!

Quality was known for it's high quality art, so don't be afraid to share the interiors as well. Let's see the great works of Lou Fine, Jack Cole, Will Eisner, Gill Fox, Chuck Cuidera, Paul Gustavson, Al Bryant, Bill Ward, Bob Powell and others too!

I'll start things off with the first comic Busy Arnold ever published. The company wasn't yet called Quality, it was Comic Favorites. Arnold published Feature Funnies #1 in October 1937 with the help of Rube Goldberg, who drew the cover and the Lala Palooza story and edited the book. The publisher on the CGC label, Harry 'A' Chesler, is wrong, and probably stems from the same error in Overstreet. Chesler had nothing to do with the book.

FeatureFunnies1CGCF65.jpg

This is a page from Feature Funnies 1. Bernard Bailey art. What is fascinating is the upper panel first appeared in Wow, What a Magazine #4. (He cut it) The rest was one of the celebrity pages that he did in his early years in comics........

jb

129398.jpg.e69515a98dee6befeea6baec81373dac.jpg

Here's another top-drawer Quality recently acquired from Mr Bedrock...

img_Hit15_194-1-1.jpg

:whee:

I'm pretty sure the cover art isn't by Crandall as indicated on the label, but it's awesome nonetheless.

(worship)Muchas Gracias, Señor Evans! sombrero.gif

Edited by DavidMerryweather

This is a page from Feature Funnies 1. Bernard Bailey art. What is fascinating is the upper panel first appeared in Wow, What a Magazine #4. (He cut it) The rest was one of the celebrity pages that he did in his early years in comics........

jb

Jon, I just love your original art! :cloud9:

Seems to be a lot of interest in Nationals, so here's my contribution.

Larson = :cloud9:

Note this also has a grease pencil mark like the National 5 I posted earlier ...the so-called "Black S" collection dispersed long ago. Usually very pretty books.

100_0860.jpg

Some 'quality' stuff to munch on.....jb

(worship)Quality indeed! Apparently your idea of munching isn't low calorie!

Jon, that killer Ray splash art is a tough act to follow. hm

[font:Comic Sans MS]The best way I can celebrate Lou Fine's magnificent art is with another Hit...[/font]

img_HitComics1_082-1-2.jpg

Edited by DavidMerryweather

Wonderful books, guys! And the original art is unbelievable!

Seems to be a lot of interest in Nationals, so here's my contribution.

NationalComics1CGCF65-1.jpg

Art-wise, I think my all time favorite of the Lou Fine Nationals is #7, but your Larson copy of #1 with OW pages is a real stunner. (worship)

Nice contribution, sir! :applause: