• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steranko Accepting Commissions
1 1

52 posts in this topic

From Arlen Schumer and Kurt Busiek:

Jim Steranko has finally agreed to accept commissions from art collectors in the States and overseas. The subject matter should feature characters identified with the artist, such as Captain America, Nick Fury, The Shadow, Batman, etc. He generally works in two standard formats:

Character portraits rendered in ink on 7x10" stock which range from $250-750, depending on the complexity of such detail as dramatic lighting/shadows, expressions, minor background elements, etc. Blank comicbook cover portraits range from $400-750. Super-tight pencilled figures with minimal backgrounds on 11x14” Strathmore vellum stock run about $1250. Variations will be quoted individually. Scheduling depends on commercial deadlines, but generally 1-3 weeks. Postage, packing, and insurance are extra. Steranko vintage originals have recently sold for $30-100K, with recreations reselling for $30K, so the investment aspect is significant.

The artist can be contacted at supergraphics@prevue.net.

http://www.johngandour.com/john_g/Steranko_commis.jpg

For Aus$10,000 you could buy yourself Rich Buckler's lighbox artwork (of a separate Steranko penciled Captain America).

Commissioning Steranko directly is a cheaper option . . . and you actually get Steranko art for your money! (thumbs u

"I'm trying to line up a Russ Heath commission. If that falls through, I suspect that this will take its place."

Alex, please please let me tell you about Russ Heath commissions... Russ is a very very nice & talented guy, and I'm sure he needs and wants to do commissions, and they are awesome! But, please don't pay for it upfront. It took me over 2 years of calling Russ over and over again to get my commissions from him (that I had paid for at a 2009 convention).

This was made even more frustrating when I saw him at a 2010 convention and he had done new drawings to sell at the con, but not my drawings that I paid him for over a year earlier.

I finally got them, and they were great... but wow. It should never take that much work to get the commissions you've paid already paid for.

So, please do commission him. Everyone should commission him. BUT, don't pay for it upfront. Or, perhaps pay 1/3 of it upfront....

Edited by Dave Aikins

Thanks, Dave. I appreciate the advice!

Perhaps, I'll invoke Mike DeLeRee's Escrow service. Assuming I hear back. It's been three weeks trying to get Steve Wyatt's attention. Guess I'll try the telephone next. :)

I had a couple of folks ask me if this is "real."

While I can't speak to that first hand, I can tell you how I found out about it.

Kurt Busiek, the writer, has a FB page that I "Liked" he posted about this. Later, he told me:

The Official Kurt Busiek Page

It was posted on the Kirby-L Facebook group by, I think, John Gandour.

Arlen Schumer, the comic historian (among other things), also has a FB page and he posted the same note. Later, he told me:

From John Gandour @ Kirby-L, I believe...

...and it's def real!

Hope this helps.

Steranko gave me his email many years ago. While I don't have it in front of me to compare 100%, the email you posted to contact him looks correct. Plus, a google search of the email comes up with many Steranko results.

Edited by Dave Aikins

I can 100% guarantee that this is real. I speak to Jim on a regular basis and he actually sent me this exact info to put out there. The offer is real, and the contact info is good. Jim has asked me to handle his Signature Series CGC signings and I know this info to be true.

Edited by chainnball

To me, it's enough of a price that I can't pull the trigger until I see a good 10 full figure finished commissions, and all of them have to ROCK. I can't spend that after only seeing one drawing.

But in theory, it is a good price. I just need to have that theory be proven.

If it ends up that I've missed the boat, so be it...

Best Advice Ever !!!

To me, it's enough of a price that I can't pull the trigger until I see a good 10 full figure finished commissions, and all of them have to ROCK. I can't spend that after only seeing one drawing.

You'll then find out the truth to the quality of the renderings, the consistency of the renderings, which characters he tends to do better with, and most importantly, since art aesthetics is in the eye of the beholder, but time waits for no man (or woman)... if he's able to hit the promised deadlines, so it doesn't end up being one of those situations where multiple people are chasing the artist for their commissions.

but you think all those junky 1k byrne commissions are the bee's knees. :facepalm:

but you think all those junky 1k byrne commissions are the bee's knees. :facepalm:

And don't you think Barry Kitson is the best ever? And I think Mike Allred is the greatest...you keep on with the Kitson's, Dave can keep loving Byrne and then everyone is good. No need to knock someone elses tastes - we all see art differently.