• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conan the Barbarian #1 Club
4 4

305 posts in this topic

Not sure if there's a tread for this or not, but noticed there were clubs for other bronze age key books, but not for Conan, or at least one I could find so I figure why not start one. Here's mine to start.

ConantheBarbarian185.jpg

Spread the word.

If I have to guess hm maybe 9.4 ! Before Conan #1 there was his prototype in Chamber of Darkness #4 here's my copy (thumbs u

IMG_0920.jpg

:luhv: Love this cover <3

Nice I have a copy of that issue to if only I could remember which box its in. :pullhair:

Not to derail the topic, but whatever happened to Conan anyway?

When I left the hobby back in '81-'82, Conan was still one of the hottest titles around, both from a publication sense as well as with the collecting crowd. Much to my surprise when I made my return to comic collecting last year, this title had not only been cancelled (unthinkable) back in '94, but early issues were still fairly cheap compared to other books. Was it simply bad writing and artwork that killed it? I recently picked up issue #275 and thought it was not only badly written, but horribly drawn as well. Like the creative forces in charge just didn't give a anymore.

I started in the hobby around '85 and I think the whole fantasy and sci fi comic scene just started to fall hard, almost disco-esque. D&D was dying too. I think once something goes out of favor it just falls hard. It's been a long slog back and with sci fi and fantasy making a resurgeance, Conan's coming along with it.

Conan wasn't the only issue being mailed in by the big two in the mid 1990's though.

Conan has for at least the last 10 years or so been published by Dark Horse, ongoing titles, mini series, maxi series and one shots. Some of these were great and some a load of rubbish, as far as I am aware it is still a current title with them with minis from time to time. ;)