Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#5773554 - 06/15/12 06:52 PM Re: Ideas For Enhancing CGC Competitive Sets: Page Quality Points [Re: bomber-bob]
Clouded9 Offline
Collectosaurus Rex

Loc: The Nexus in Texas
 Originally Posted By: bomber-bob

Don't Signature Service books get higher registry points ? Is a Stan Lee signed book really rare anymore ?

I thought I saw a DC book Stan signed last year. He must have thought Solomon Grundy was the Grey Hulk!

I think a silver age book that Stan actually wrote being signed by him is still neat, but not rare. I have one myself (Spectacular Spider-Man #1 from 1968). What I don't understand is getting Stan to sign a modern or copper age book that he didn't even work on. \(shrug\)

Not to open the flood gates of hate, but I don't think Sig Series books should get more registry points anyway as sigs do not change the structural integrity of the book (unless the person signing it does not handle it properly and damages it). A 9.4 SS is still just a 9.4 book. I won't say anymore as there are already several threads on the boards dedicated to this topic already. Just my opinion.

#5773563 - 06/15/12 06:57 PM Re: Ideas For Enhancing CGC Competitive Sets: Page Quality Points [Re: Clouded9]
rtecbot Offline
Up 20 words per minute since I signed up

Loc: Maryland
Page Quality of the book can also change while the book is in the slab. I have had books that went down in page quality upon resubmission.

An artist is not paid for his labor but for his vision....thats why sketches take so long to finish.

#5773619 - 06/15/12 07:21 PM Re: Ideas For Enhancing CGC Competitive Sets: Page Quality Points [Re: rtecbot]
bomber-bob Offline
Pedigreed

Loc: Western Suburbs of Chicago
 Originally Posted By: rtecbot
Page Quality of the book can also change while the book is in the slab. I have had books that went down in page quality upon resubmission.

And so can the grade. How does that matter. The discussion is should the Registry recognize higher Page Quality with more points.

#5774326 - 06/16/12 12:13 AM Re: Ideas For Enhancing CGC Competitive Sets: Page Quality Points [Re: bomber-bob]
mysterio Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Between TX and KS
 Originally Posted By: bomber-bob
 Originally Posted By: rtecbot

And so can the grade. How does that matter. The discussion is should the Registry recognize higher Page Quality with more points.

Both grade and PQ can change on a resub, which reflects the inherent subjectivity of grading. But when a book is in the slab it is what it is. And a 9.4 with white pages has more desirability to many collectors than the same 9.4 with OW or CR-OW pages, and it will cost more, so the registry should reflect that.

#5774360 - 06/16/12 12:28 AM Re: Ideas For Enhancing CGC Competitive Sets: Page Quality Points [Re: rtecbot]
ramrod44 Offline
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: Ur mom's house
Don't forget about added points for pedigrees!

#5774993 - 06/16/12 01:20 PM Re: Ideas For Enhancing CGC Competitive Sets: Page Quality Points [Re: ramrod44]
bomber-bob Offline
Pedigreed

Loc: Western Suburbs of Chicago
 Originally Posted By: ramrod44
Don't forget about added points for pedigrees!

Though I would like to see that happen, I don't think it will. For starters it would be more difficult to implement. All peds are not created equal. I would hate to see a Mohawk Valley get the same ped bump as a Mile High Church copy.

#5775137 - 06/16/12 02:41 PM Re: Ideas For Enhancing CGC Competitive Sets: Page Quality Points [Re: bomber-bob]
surfer99 Offline

Loc: Chandler, AZ
Bagofleas made a great comment on another journal- CGC has never kept track of Page Quality (or Pedigrees) so assigning point value based on that would be difficult. Better that they focus on easily fixed flaws in the current system.

#5775187 - 06/16/12 02:59 PM Re: Ideas For Enhancing CGC Competitive Sets: Page Quality Points [Re: surfer99]
mysterio Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Between TX and KS
 Originally Posted By: surfer99
Bagofleas made a great comment on another journal- CGC has never kept track of Page Quality (or Pedigrees) so assigning point value based on that would be difficult. Better that they focus on easily fixed flaws in the current system.

Any time a book is listed in the registry it shows the PQ in the issue listing. If you used a multiplier like I suggested CGC wouldn't have to track anything. A book would get a base value like it does now, and then the PQ multiplier would be applied to that. One more instruction in the code would accomplish it easily.

#5775221 - 06/16/12 03:12 PM Re: Ideas For Enhancing CGC Competitive Sets: Page Quality Points [Re: mysterio]
Professor Pecora Offline
If I just sell the car, I can up my bid...

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I like this idea! \(thumbs u

#5776515 - 06/17/12 12:02 AM Re: Ideas For Enhancing CGC Competitive Sets: Page Quality Points [Re: Professor Pecora]
surfer99 Offline

Loc: Chandler, AZ
I don't know that it makes a difference, but while page quality and pedigrees are listed on the registry, they're not listed on the census. If adding points for page quality is as simple as you say though, I'm all for it! \:\)

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  plitch, Architecht, cgcmod4, cgcmod7, cgcmod6, cgcmod5, cgcmod3, Gemma, CCGmod0, cgcmod8, Barbara T, Matt Nelson, cgcmod9, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, ccgmod1, PaulS. 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
dave wnuck's mid-november new coin listing and newsletter
by michael
Today at 01:36 AM
A Lovely High Grade 1771 Pillar 8 Reales
by fred13
Yesterday at 09:15 PM
GreatCollections - Today - 1000s of Listings - Fast Shipping - Lowest Fees
by ianrussell
Yesterday at 05:50 PM
Gold and Silver Certificate for Sale
by Ugakoivet
Yesterday at 08:01 AM
Comics Marketplace
DC 10 centers - Challengers, Showcase, Mystery In Space, B&B, Action, JLA.
by TopNotch
Today at 01:19 PM
Archie Comics 25 CGC 8.5 White
by Inaflash
Today at 11:35 AM
Uncanny X-Men #221 CGC 9.8 & ASM #304 CGC 9.8
by Chip Cataldo
Today at 11:20 AM
ASM #129 CGC 6.5 & Stan Lee's "Secrets Behind the Comics"
by Chip Cataldo
Today at 11:18 AM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.012 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

IDW Publishing