• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,446 posts in this topic

FYI, all but a couple of the WDs in the current auction came from one consignor. We agreed to accept all the books for consignment, even though many of the later and/or lower grade issues would not normally have been expensive enough to be eligible for consignment according to our web site. Normally, eligibility for consignment is based on what our database expects the price to be. For something hot like WD, I wanted to see how the full run would do in auction, which is why we accepted them all.

I can make similar arrangements with anybody else that wants to consign WD books. PM me or call me at 512-240-2802 if you've got questions. We've already been contacted by a few people who've been watching the current auction and wanted to consign for next month, so there should be some WDs next month too.

FYI, all but a couple of the WDs in the current auction came from one consignor. We agreed to accept all the books for consignment, even though many of the later and/or lower grade issues would not normally have been expensive enough to be eligible for consignment according to our web site. Normally, eligibility for consignment is based on what our database expects the price to be. For something hot like WD, I wanted to see how the full run would do in auction, which is why we accepted them all.

I can make similar arrangements with anybody else that wants to consign WD books. PM me or call me at 512-240-2802 if you've got questions. We've already been contacted by a few people who've been watching the current auction and wanted to consign for next month, so there should be some WDs next month too.

After seeing some of the prices they are going for, i'm not shocked. lol

Or it's all a shilling fiesta. Could just be a "marketing technique".

We've had strong WD sales in previous months too, including the second highest GPA-tracked price reached for a CGC 9.8 #1 (the $1597 from March 21), and $511 for a raw #1 we graded VF+. So either it's a long-term (and expensive) "marketing technique", or we just have a strong market for WD issues.

I think there's a lot of unmet demand out there for WD back issues, and our customer base and mailing list is an ideal channel for reaching that unmet demand. Also, not everybody is as savvy as the people in this thread, or spends as much time watching eBay for the issues they need. And not everybody has the "if it's not 9.8 it's not worthy of my consideration" mindset. Many people are just trying to collect the issues.

For a lot of our customers who mostly shop from us and don't spend much time on eBay, all they know is that most of the time we're sold out of all WD back issues, and whenever we do get them in they sell out again very quickly. So when a big run is put out in front of them, it gets competitive.

As far as possible shilling: we never bid in our own auctions. There's zero shill activity coming from us. Nor do I see any indication that the consignor is shilling. If you don't want to take my word for it, you're welcome to consign yourself and see what kind of results you get.

Edited by mycomicshop

Or it's all a shilling fiesta. Could just be a "marketing technique".

We've had strong WD sales in previous months too, including the second highest GPA-tracked price reached for a CGC 9.8 #1 (the $1597 from March 21), and $511 for a raw #1 we graded VF+. So either it's a long-term (and expensive) "marketing technique", or we just have a strong market for WD issues.

I think there's a lot of unmet demand out there for WD back issues, and our customer base and mailing list is an ideal channel for reaching that unmet demand. Also, not everybody is as savvy as the people in this thread, or spends as much time watching eBay for the issues they need. And not everybody has the "if it's not 9.8 it's not worthy of my consideration" mindset. Many people are just trying to collect the issues.

For a lot of our customers who mostly shop from us and don't spend much time on eBay, all they know is that most of the time we're sold out of all WD back issues, and whenever we do get them in they sell out again very quickly. So when a big run is put out in front of them, it gets competitive.

As far as possible shilling: we never bid in our own auctions. There's zero shill activity coming from us. Nor do I see any indication that the consignor is shilling. If you don't want to take my word for it, you're welcome to consign yourself and see what kind of results you get.

I appreciate you explaining your side of the story as it takes some kahunas to do so against the people here.

I just can't get over though some of the prices these books go for, nor can I imagine these people never look at eBay. Perhaps they feel they are getting a quality item from you and at a higher trust level, but still, some of the prices are truly extraordinary. Issue 10 8.0 selling for $127...It regularly goes for ~$25-35 NM on feeBay. Like you said though, I guess there is a large crowd out there who just simply don't ever go to eBay so they have no idea the other options that are available. I feel bad to be honest.

For what its worth, I got my first 7 issues of TWD from your site back in March that you had in stock. I paid about $6 for each issue which were in the 70s and 80s. I have you to blame for what now is a full on addiction and complete run of TWD issues minus a couple I still need. So thanks for that! :grin:

what's the vig?

The commission is 10% on sales up to $200, with a minimum of $5 per item. 5% for sales $200-2000, 2% over $2000. Consigned items can be listed in the auction or as fixed price, however you choose to sell. If fixed price, you set the price however you want, and your book is listed simultaneously on mycomicshop.com and eBay. Consignment details

In September, the commission will bump up a little to 10% up to $300, 7% $300-3000, and 4% over $3000.

Just listened to an interview with the guy who is setting up the Walking Dead Escape around San Diego comic con, and he's saying there are 10,000-12,000 slots open for survivors over the 4 days they are doing this at petco. So that makes the number of variant 100's a lot higher than I first thought. I thought this was going to be pretty rare, but at 10,000 books, that's not all that rare...

Edited by jaster-mereel

I live in San Diego. The other day one of my co workers aked me of I've heard of the Walking dead escape. Said he and his friend were going to do it. The thing is, this kid isn't going to SDCC. So I wonder how many locals around here are also going to participate.. Could add a few numbers to it.