Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#5757891 - 06/09/12 08:14 PM Old PCI photo holders...should I expect a premium?
HCumberdale Offline
The Collectinator

Loc: Irvine, CA

A very small local dealer (operating out of an unrelated flea market booth) has a small hoard of the (I believe) third generation old PCI photo slabs. Nothing really special as far as the coins are concerned - Franklin halves and Washington quarters in mid MS/PF grades. Some have developed a bit of attractive toning, but nothing to get crazy over.

I was thinking of buying these and attempting to flip them, but before I did I wanted to ask all of you your thoughts if you'd be kind enough to provide them. I know the slab collectors out there are few, and PCI is not the grading company of choice...but I'm thinking there might be enough interest out there to sell them off at the upcoming FUN.

As for the asking price - he's basically using PCGS values as his initial price point. He would work with me if I took them all though.

Oh, and for the record - I might keep one of them for myself, but I am not looking to collect plastic! I'm really just looking to make a couple dollars!

What do you think?

#5757958 - 06/09/12 08:40 PM Re: Old PCI photo holders...should I expect a premium? [Re: HCumberdale]
coinman_23885 Offline
Pedigreed

I would pass. They are interesting and may be worth a small premium to a slab collector, but I don't foresee them selling for the prices in the PCGS Price Guide. This guide tends to be inflated, especially for modern issues. I would imagine that the slab premium, if any, would be subsumed by the high asking price.

Areas of Interest: Original classic gold coins from the Southern mints (New Orleans, Charlotte, and Dahlonega); Carson City minted Morgan Dollars, early copper; high end, quality U.S. type coinage; proof like and deep mirror prooflike coinage; toners including Peace Dollars and classic gold; cameo and deep/ultra cameo proof coins from 1936-1942; matte proof Lincoln Cents and Buffalo Nickels; and Capped Bust Half Dollars.

#5758107 - 06/09/12 09:44 PM Re: Old PCI photo holders...should I expect a premium? [Re: coinman_23885]
kryptonitecomics Offline
First Official Signature Set
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: O-Town Baby! Home of the Magic
 Originally Posted By: coinman_23885
I would pass. They are interesting and may be worth a small premium to a slab collector, but I don't foresee them selling for the prices in the PCGS Price Guide. This guide tends to be inflated, especially for modern issues. I would imagine that the slab premium, if any, would be subsumed by the high asking price.

+ 1

EBAY LINK
http://Support-the-Collectors-Society.com/sch/kryptonitecomics/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1

#5758625 - 06/10/12 01:55 AM Re: Old PCI photo holders...should I expect a premium? [Re: kryptonitecomics]
PerryHall Offline
Chatzilla

PCI did a fairly good job grading coins but the marketplace tends to treat these coins as raw these days so I would advise against paying any premiums for the plastic.
#5758733 - 06/10/12 07:28 AM Re: Old PCI photo holders...should I expect a premium? [Re: HCumberdale]
James_EarlyUS Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Those slabs have no meaningful added value.

My posts express my PERSONAL opinions ONLY. Please respect my right to Freedom of Speech as I respect yours.

#5758905 - 06/10/12 10:09 AM Re: Old PCI photo holders...should I expect a premium? [Re: HCumberdale]
BillJones Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Florida
Some collectors sing the praises of the old PCI holders, but mostly what I saw from them was inconsistency. There were PCI graded coins that could be cracked out and sent to PCGS for up-grades, sometimes as much as MS-64 to 66 according to some who post ATS. BUT in order to do that you had to be able to pick the coins that are under graded with is a long way from ALL of them. This mostly applied to Morgan dollars from what I can see.

So I don’t see a lot of upgrade or profit potential in the Washington quarters and Franklin half dollars that you have seen.
-- Retired dealer. I am a numismatic author. I specialize in choice early coins and poltitical tokens. I've been collecting coins, tokens and medals for over 50 years. Check my type sets! Type Set My gold type set Gold Type Set

#5760937 - 06/11/12 05:55 AM Re: Old PCI photo holders...should I expect a premium? [Re: BillJones]
HCumberdale Offline
The Collectinator

Loc: Irvine, CA
Thanks everyone for the advice. I spoke to the dealer yesterday and passed on them...at which point he told me that if he doesn't sell them in the next month he'll give them to me for melt. I guess I'd be in at that price, but it sounds like I could still have some difficulty getting rid of them! We;ll see what happens.

Thanks again for protecting my money!!

#5761096 - 06/11/12 08:47 AM Re: Old PCI photo holders...should I expect a premium? [Re: HCumberdale]
PerryHall Offline
Chatzilla

Originally Posted By: HCumberdale
Thanks everyone for the advice. I spoke to the dealer yesterday and passed on them...at which point he told me that if he doesn't sell them in the next month he'll give them to me for melt. I guess I'd be in at that price, but it sounds like I could still have some difficulty getting rid of them! We;ll see what happens.

Thanks again for protecting my money!!

How can you go wrong buying them at melt? I'd be surprised if he still has them after a month though.

#5764502 - 06/12/12 01:45 PM Re: Old PCI photo holders...should I expect a premium? [Re: PerryHall]
L1ncolnF4n Offline
The Post-man always rings twice. Uhm... ring ring?

Loc: Los Angeles
Don't use PCGS guide prices. They're over-inflated in almost every instance and many times coins don't even auction for those prices.

Unless otherwise stated, my opinions are my own and are subject to change at any time due to new information.

Looking into the coin is more important than looking at the coin -D.S.

#5766674 - 06/13/12 09:30 AM Re: Old PCI photo holders...should I expect a premium? [Re: L1ncolnF4n]
BillJones Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Florida
 Originally Posted By: L1ncolnF4n
Don't use PCGS guide prices. They're over-inflated in almost every instance and many times coins don't even auction for those prices.

True, unless you are looking at really scarce to rare, in-demand coins. Then the PCGS guide ranges from viable to "wish list" amounts.

This market is divided between the collector coins that have been depressed in price because of the bad economy, and the "whale food" which is more pricey than ever.
-- Retired dealer. I am a numismatic author. I specialize in choice early coins and poltitical tokens. I've been collecting coins, tokens and medals for over 50 years. Check my type sets! Type Set My gold type set Gold Type Set

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Architecht, dena, ngcmod, Jay Turner, CCGmod0, PaulS., Barbara T, Keith Zaner, ccgmod1 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
Choice 1820/19 Large Cent PCGS VF35 CAC! Gorgeous 1877S Double Eagle & More!
by AnkurJ
Today at 08:14 PM
Toner sale
by AstroTrain
Today at 06:44 PM
FSH: 1882-S Morgan Dollar ICG MS-64 DMPL Obverse
by 123cents
Today at 01:00 AM
hobo nickel book and sutler token book for sale
by michael
Today at 12:35 AM
Comics Marketplace
75 cent Batman comics!!!!!
by manicnerd
50 minutes 32 seconds ago
SOME SCARCE TIMELY WONDER WOMAN RAW, LEADING a MORE FUN SENSATION
by skypinkblu
Today at 09:10 PM
Interesting DC summer sale of books. Cheap. Silver age.
by Grantley Goddard
Today at 08:34 PM
Action Comics #17 CGC 3.5
by quadman78
Today at 08:25 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.013 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.