• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,187 posts in this topic

Got this Beyond from Blazing Bob in Detroit. I'd never had the opportunity to get a higher grade copy before. I kinda like Lou Cameron's stuff quite a bit.

Agree on Cameron -- a real master and worth seeking out his stories! Love that book from Bob! :)

Yep, I too noticed the significant browning/staining on the back covers of that group of books generally; turned me off personally but didn't seem to hurt the prices realized. :)

As to the Mystery Tales, there's something odd going on with that particular title, within the past year someone pointed out the very high prices pre-code Mystery Tales had started getting. Ya got me!?

There's a guy who is obsessed with this particular title. There was a thread about this in this forum a while back. Not easy to outbid him on this title.

That's funny. Takes two to tango -- who on earth is bidding him up on these? Anyhoo I'd love it if he were the winner on a couple of that title I have, but I don't wish to sell 'em anyway. :)

I bought the Mr Mystery 10 from that group for $146. No interest whatsoever in the post-Codes, but I can respect them for their art and for how tough they are in decent shape. But those prices were impressive. Kind of leery about what i'll discover when the MM 10 arrives....

I'm thinking a nice-looking MM 10 at that price will be OK; a great book! Hope yours is A-OK when it arrives!

Yep, I too noticed the significant browning/staining on the back covers of that group of books generally; turned me off personally but didn't seem to hurt the prices realized. :)

As to the Mystery Tales, there's something odd going on with that particular title, within the past year someone pointed out the very high prices pre-code Mystery Tales had started getting. Ya got me!?

There's a guy who is obsessed with this particular title. There was a thread about this in this forum a while back. Not easy to outbid him on this title.

That's funny. Takes two to tango -- who on earth is bidding him up on these? Anyhoo I'd love it if he were the winner on a couple of that title I have, but I don't wish to sell 'em anyway. :)

There was a bidding war all right...I assume the underbidder was equally keen but his interest did start to taper off with the final couple of books after having no luck. Other Atlas horror titles in mid grade from the same period go for a small fraction of those prices...

I was following those auctions and was somewhat surprised by the prices realized due to the back cover problems (browning, heavy foxing) that many of the books, including the two you mentioned, had.

There was a nicer looking copy of this Haunted Thrills offered in that group. It only got to $92. I was the underbidder and should have bid higher. Can't seem to upgrade my lowgrade copy. Love this book.

126756.jpg.062123ca4c7bd6220a37d39da67e4a58.jpg

There was a bidding war all right...I assume the underbidder was equally keen but his interest did start to taper off with the final couple of books after having no luck. Other Atlas horror titles in mid grade from the same period go for a small fraction of those prices...

Quite true. That's what made this bidding war seem so odd -- if these couple folks love Mystery Tales that much, I think they could find a variety at Metropolis or wherever at less than they'd be willing to pay.

I was following those auctions and was somewhat surprised by the prices realized due to the back cover problems (browning, heavy foxing) that many of the books, including the two you mentioned, had.

There was a nicer looking copy of this Haunted Thrills offered in that group. It only got to $92. I was the underbidder and should have bid higher. Can't seem to upgrade my lowgrade copy. Love this book.

Haunted Thrills #6 is an awesome book -- I remember well the day I found my copy at a con. :)