• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,192 posts in this topic

not sure if this is a party foul posting this but I'm selling my weird Mysteries #6 in the FS forum just letting other precode collectors know a copy is for grabs

not sure if this is a party foul posting this but I'm selling my weird Mysteries #6 in the FS forum just letting other precode collectors know a copy is for grabs

There's a message thread in the Golden Age section titled "Golden Age Marketplace Links." That's the best place for this type of posting.

I was watching some eBay auctions and was really surprised at some of the prices that horror comics have been getting. These Mystery Tales comics are an example. Note: They are not PRE-code but POST-code, but still in the same realm of interest. The seller's collection included many of these issues in beautiful condition. Nonetheless I couldn't believe some of the end prices (lots of sniping in the last few seconds too). I can only imagine what the price would have been if the seller had a copy of Mystery Tales #40, which was used in the TV show "Lost."

126712.jpg.d490a8abfaa134639f818017403d987e.jpg

126713.jpg.6bad32ec742425de176c4f34f8970822.jpg

126714.jpg.7442676ce08b1fe435e0b9a893d28e09.jpg

126715.jpg.d67a614fc71730f51e10fc71e49d4dd3.jpg

126716.jpg.a8b5e6d0a7e6fec010542669a43583cd.jpg

I was also really surprised by the prices being commanded by two stand-alone comics, City of the Living Dead! (#1 or #nn), and The Dead Who Walk (#nn). I can only imagine this is a ripple effect from the popularity and through-the-roof value of The Walking Dead comics. Not that both comics aren't super-cool on their own.

126717.jpg.60efaebde827d15e07ad7666624bc11a.jpg

126718.jpg.96428f5ae75e2ab8bc263eb22af36dd8.jpg

Yep, I too noticed the significant browning/staining on the back covers of that group of books generally; turned me off personally but didn't seem to hurt the prices realized. :)

As to the Mystery Tales, there's something odd going on with that particular title, within the past year someone pointed out the very high prices pre-code Mystery Tales had started getting. Ya got me!?

Yep, I too noticed the significant browning/staining on the back covers of that group of books generally; turned me off personally but didn't seem to hurt the prices realized. :)

As to the Mystery Tales, there's something odd going on with that particular title, within the past year someone pointed out the very high prices pre-code Mystery Tales had started getting. Ya got me!?

There's a guy who is obsessed with this particular title. There was a thread about this in this forum a while back. Not easy to outbid him on this title.

I bought the Mr Mystery 10 from that group for $146. No interest whatsoever in the post-Codes, but I can respect them for their art and for how tough they are in decent shape. But those prices were impressive. Kind of leery about what i'll discover when the MM 10 arrives....

Edited by mrmyst