• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,429 posts in this topic

@Point Five: I guess it’s mostly offensive depending on how you look at its supposed "humour". It has quite a weirdness. Is that Walt Kelly drawing?

I have recently completed a 1949 run of the "Topolino giornale" (the journal sized publicaton which preceeded the renowned pocket-book leading Disney publication here in Italy) where there is one of the first, most weird, tales by writer Guido Martina. It mixes Mickey & Goofy, Peg-leg-Pete (partner of a brand new villain), horror, tortures, and with a taste for the surreal which would have later become the hallmark of Martina as a writer, even in his more mature, Disney-correct stories.

Martina ranks among my favorite Disney comics artists, after Gottfredson and Barks.

Here’s an image of the first page of the story, from 1948:

And here an article (unfortunately in italian only) on Angelo Bioletto, the artist:

http://www.papersera.net/inducks/creatori_ita/ABi.php

I wish I could read Italian as he looks like quite an interesting storyteller.

+1 What little Italian I can understand only makes it look more interesting.

If I could be granted one wish to go back and change comic book history, I would go back to around 1950 and give Carl Barks the artistic freedom to write whatever Duck stories he wanted. It's amazing he was still able to write great classics with all the restrictions, but I would have loved to see him explore more gothic storylines, proceeding where "Old Castle's Secret" left off.

Thanks for posting this, vaillant.

Also worth checking is Mickey’s Inferno (I just see it’s been published in english, with slight editing, on Walt Disney Comics & Stories #666):

The story is a weird "back to school" adaptation of Dante’s Inferno, where Disney characters (Mickey is Dante, Goofy is Virgil) play the role of various protagonists of the poem.

Thanks for the tip about the story.

I've never read it but I will make a point of doing so this weekend.

From the inside front cover of WDC&S 666.

wdcs666_1.jpg

Inside back cover

wdcs666_2.jpg

Mickey's Inferno

mickeysinferno1.jpg

mickeysinferno2.jpg

The latest addition to my WDC&S run. I had tried to order this copy multiple times from ComicLink before a friend finally managed to buy it for me.

If anyone should happen to come across a VF-range copy of #9 that would complete my run of the first 10 issues.

126660.jpg.c173eb58a691fd839b1918faf09be8ff.jpg

Great book tb! (Funny how often I type those words.)

I haven't got any of the 1-10 yet, but here's the 59th I've got of the 11-100 run.

wdcs_066.jpg

With this one I have 66-99 inclusive. If I could pick up 64 and 65 I'd have 55-99. When I set out to do this I thought it would be a $25k five year undertaking. So far it's been $4,671 in two years and four months and I'm averaging costs of 58% of guide by being patient.

I think my estimates are looking good at this point, but we'll see.

Like Andrew, I just got in a WDCS #17, albeit lower-grade. Scan is not real forgiving of the dirt, but it's a cheap, solid early one. :)

wdcs17.jpg

Cool Jon. I loved reading mine after liberating it.

The shading on Donald's eyes threw me at first. I had to go look at Gerber's copy to make sure it was meant to be there!

The latest addition to my WDC&S run. I had tried to order this copy multiple times from ComicLink before a friend finally managed to buy it for me.

If anyone should happen to come across a VF-range copy of #9 that would complete my run of the first 10 issues.

:headbang:

I wish I could read Italian as he looks like quite an interesting storyteller.

+1 What little Italian I can understand only makes it look more interesting.

@40YrsCollctngCmcs, tb: Thanks, I am not delighted to see many appreciate these stories because they are italian, but mostly because they are great stories. Early (and late) italian Disney artists managed to push the pedal of surreal atmospheres, the unfamiliar and the unexpected, while mantaining at the same time the highest grade of respect for the characters and for the Disney vision (most of the early writers included feature film characters in Mickey and Donald stories).

It seems the "White Cobra" hasn’t been translated in english so far.

WDC&S #666?:roflmao:

I thought about it the very second I saw it was published. :)

But I think it‘s unintentional.

The original cover image from Topolino #7 (1949):

7topcopertina.jpg

@BangZoom: Many, many thanks for posting pages of the WDC&S issue. I need to pick up and buy all those I still miss which presented italian stories.

I love how they colored the Donald sequence «We’ll help Donald better self beat his temper»… just great! (thumbs u

I’m sure you’ll enjoy it, although it’s an unusual story.

Another classic I can’t ever recommend strongly enough is "Mickey Mouse and the Delta Dimension" (just seen they published it in english – and with a cover!):

http://coa.inducks.org/issue.php?c=us/MMAG+11#b

It also features the return of Doctor Einmug.

I have just noticed they removed the revolver on the splash page in the 2006 US edition. This is really nonsense, as the story represent quintessentially the time in which was published, with an atmosphere between classic science fiction and crime which wouldn’t make US readers regret the early Fantastic Four stories or hard-boiled literature.

Plus, one of the best characters created by Romano Scarpa makes his very first appearance: Atomino Bip-Bip. A character that, besides epitomizing the so-called "atomic age" proved to be so popular – rivaling with Eeega Beeva or Goofy – that they eventually decided to tone down and rarefy his apperances.

I was wondering that maybe I should open another thread about italian stories available to english readers, as this was one of the threads devoted to showing the collectibles. I don’t want to annoy those uninterested… hm

I saw this on eBay while browsing with an iPad, and placed a snipe.

Then I looked at it later on my big monitor and decided the scan was a bit too scuzzy to really tell and I intended to cancel the snipe. Then the phone rang, life got busy and I forgot about the snipe until it was too late.

Ten days later this turned up:

FC_0159.jpg

:banana:

Then I looked at it later on my big monitor and decided the scan was a bit too scuzzy to really tell and I intended to cancel the snipe. Then the phone rang, life got busy and I forgot about the snipe until it was too late.

FC_0159.jpg

:censored:

FC_0159.jpg

I found that to be one of the tougher books to find in a condition I liked. I ended up picking one up at Long Beach that was from an original owner collection here in SoCal. Great lineup in that book, enjoy.

I've posted this scan before to show off this very cool 1947 Australian edition:

AJ_mummy_front.jpg

But I realise I haven't posted anything that shows the size of it, which is its coolest aspect. So, by popular demand (I was asked once, which is all the encouragement I need), here's a shot with a standard size Dell:

Mummy_comparison.jpg

I've posted this scan before to show off this very cool 1947 Australian edition:

AJ_mummy_front.jpg

But I realise I haven't posted anything that shows the size of it, which is its coolest aspect. So, by popular demand (I was asked once, which is all the encouragement I need), here's a shot with a standard size Dell:

Mummy_comparison.jpg

I was thinking that had to be one BIG staple. Looks like the publisher spelled "color" wrong and accidentally left out 28 pages or so. :baiting:

AJ_mummy_front.jpg

Mummy_comparison.jpg

Awesome. :applause:

Is the art shrunk way down (as opposed to being chopped up and re-laid out on smaller pages) ?

AJ_mummy_front.jpg

Mummy_comparison.jpg

Thanks for sharing. Can you show us some interior pages of the Australian edition?