Page 2 of 6 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#5718813 - 05/27/12 07:48 AM Re: Why does McFarlane's Marvel stuff get such a bad rub from most people? [Re: Chuck Gower]
Bosco685 Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: USA
 Originally Posted By: Chuck Gower
But being one of the biggest superstar artists of the time; being as outspoken as he was (remember the McFarlane/Peter David debate?); and on top of that, becoming as successful as he did; it sort of makes him the #1 target of blame to anyone who looks at how the industry changed and collecting changed during that period.
And of course it led to a market implosion that we still haven't recovered from.

The ongoing court case with Gaiman didn't make McFarlane look the best either.

\:p

#5718824 - 05/27/12 07:59 AM Re: Why does McFarlane's Marvel stuff get such a bad rub from most people? [Re: Bosco685]
Chuck Gower Online   content
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: MO/IL
 Originally Posted By: Bosco685
But being one of the biggest superstar artists of the time; being as outspoken as he was (remember the McFarlane/Peter David debate?); and on top of that, becoming as successful as he did; it sort of makes him the #1 target of blame to anyone who looks at how the industry changed and collecting changed during that period.
And of course it led to a market implosion that we still haven't recovered from.

No it didn't, though that came a bit later.
Todd needs to stay away from the court's or get a new lawyer. I don't think he's won anything he's gone to court for!

A link to my eBay store!

http://Support-the-Collectors-Society.com/chugow/

THIS WEEK: ARCHIE #42
Street Date: December 1949

#5718841 - 05/27/12 08:10 AM Re: Why does McFarlane's Marvel stuff get such a bad rub from most people? [Re: Chuck Gower]
Bosco685 Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: USA
But I do feel this was one of the more creative signatures on a cover that I have seen.

#5718982 - 05/27/12 09:57 AM Re: Why does McFarlane's Marvel stuff get such a bad rub from most people? [Re: Bosco685]
Silent Master Offline
Chatzilla

Loc: New Mexico
Since I'm always looking for GI Joe trivia let me throw out these questions about McFarlane's tenure at Marvel:

So in 1987 McFarlane did interior art for 2 GI Joe comics; issues 60 & 61. The story I've always heard is that the interior art for #61 was rejected by Marvel and the comic was redrawn by someone else and then released. About 8 years later in 1994, 2 months after the series had ended, the interior for 61 originally rejected by Marvel was compiled and sold with the Snake-Eyes cover that was drawn after the McFarlane Spidey pose on Spiderman #1 (apparently the art wasn't so bad that Marvel didn't think they could make a dime off of it!).

So was this the only McFarlane art known to be rejected by Marvel? When did McFarlane leave Marvel and then start Image? I guess Marvel had already paid for the issue to be drawn so they owned the rights which allowed them to publish it 8 years later?

Just curious if someone had all these details...

comics in question:
GI JOE #60

GI JOE Special #1

#5719190 - 05/27/12 11:49 AM Re: Why does McFarlane's Marvel stuff get such a bad rub from most people? [Re: maraxusofkeld]
B767293 Offline
Up 20 words per minute since I signed up

Even though he doesn't do sketches anymore, does anybody wanna take a guess on how much he'll charge for one.

Anonymous: Even Thor has to be human sometimes

#5720190 - 05/27/12 06:29 PM Re: Why does McFarlane's Marvel stuff get such a bad rub from most people? [Re: B767293]
spideysenses78 Offline
Up 20 words per minute since I signed up

Loc: Baltimore
My friends and I liked his art growing up. He had great attention to detail. While his artwork was great, his story writing was a little bland.

Is it more important to have great artwork or an interesting story?

CAF: CAF
Kudos: Kudos

#5720817 - 05/27/12 10:35 PM Re: Why does McFarlane's Marvel stuff get such a bad rub from most people? [Re: maraxusofkeld]
dupont2005 Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Southern California
He's genuinely not a good artist in my opinion, although there have been some images he's done that came out okay. Although I don't like him, I think there are a ton of artists who draw exactly like him and escape the criticism. I bought the Anita Blake trade for a dollar on Black Friday and a few pages in had to double check the credits to make sure it wasn't a Liefeld comic. Exact same style and exact same mistakes throughout

EDIT: Oh, we're not talking about Liefeld lol

Same can be said for McFarlane though, as well as Lee, Valentino, and every other artist of the era that drew super heroes

Edited by dupont2005 (05/27/12 10:37 PM)

#5720826 - 05/27/12 10:41 PM Re: Why does McFarlane's Marvel stuff get such a bad rub from most people? [Re: Chuck Gower]
500Club Offline
Pedigreed

Loc: Canada
 Originally Posted By: Bosco685

No it didn't, though that came a bit later.
Todd needs to stay away from the court's or get a new lawyer. I don't think he's won anything he's gone to court for!

lol

My favorite was the Tony Twist trial/suit. Twist argued the Tony Twistelli character defamed him. McFarlane argued the character was not named after Twist. The litigating attorney produced a letters page where McFarlane stated he liked to name characters after hockey players.

Game over.

#5722419 - 05/28/12 01:17 PM Re: Why does McFarlane's Marvel stuff get such a bad rub from most people? [Re: Silent Master]
pubmonkey Offline
Talkative?

Loc: Canada
 Originally Posted By: Silent Master
Since I'm always looking for GI Joe trivia let me throw out these questions about McFarlane's tenure at Marvel:

So in 1987 McFarlane did interior art for 2 GI Joe comics; issues 60 & 61. The story I've always heard is that the interior art for #61 was rejected by Marvel and the comic was redrawn by someone else and then released. About 8 years later in 1994, 2 months after the series had ended, the interior for 61 originally rejected by Marvel was compiled and sold with the Snake-Eyes cover that was drawn after the McFarlane Spidey pose on Spiderman #1 (apparently the art wasn't so bad that Marvel didn't think they could make a dime off of it!).

So was this the only McFarlane art known to be rejected by Marvel? When did McFarlane leave Marvel and then start Image? I guess Marvel had already paid for the issue to be drawn so they owned the rights which allowed them to publish it 8 years later?

This is a good source of info:

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2008/11/20/comic-book-legends-revealed-182/

Nice SS books!!

#5723328 - 05/28/12 06:32 PM Re: Why does McFarlane's Marvel stuff get such a bad rub from most people? [Re: pubmonkey]
Silent Master Offline
Chatzilla

Loc: New Mexico
 Originally Posted By: pubmonkey
 Originally Posted By: Silent Master

This is a good source of info:

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2008/11/20/comic-book-legends-revealed-182/

Nice SS books!!

SWEET!!! Thanks pubmonkey!

Page 2 of 6 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  Architecht, cgcmod2, cgcmod3, cgcmod, dena, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod7, cgcmod8, CCGmod0, Barbara T, Matt Nelson, cgcmod9, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, plitch, ccgmod1 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
1943-S 50C Liberty Half Dollar MS67 Star NGC POP 1 NONE BETTER
by Paul Kiraly 3
11:33 AM
2014 Gold Kennedys Early Releases $1480 for 70s
by Slayeron
08/26/14 09:28 AM
Foreign silver for sale EDITED
by stldanceartist
08/26/14 12:55 AM
closed
by krighton
08/25/14 09:19 PM
Comics Marketplace
Back on CAF: Jim Aparo key KNIGHTFALL page FS (pending buyer had to bow out)
by Gal Schwartz
Uncanny X-Men #221 - CGC 9.8 - White Pages - 1st App Mister Sinister
by Chip Cataldo
Fan Expo Sales Thread
by Venom
06:03 PM
Random Slabs, including a couple of pedigrees
by skinny_white_boy
05:37 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0.005 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Aspen Titles IDW Publishing