• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

I have a question? I would like to know if this situation is probation worthy.

I send a offer to someone, I see that he read the offer and didnt reply. I checked again about 7 hours later and no response so I decided to buy something else. He reply about 9 hours later and says ok "but know I already spent the money" I informed that I spent the money, but I was wondering if its a offense

9 hours seems like a short period of time to me, to make an offer and then move off of it without any idea if it's going to be accepted or not. Did you tell him you wanted a response back in seven hours?
No I did not, I just saw that he read it about a hour after I sent the first msg and I thought he didnt like the offer. I checked again about 5 hours later and saw no response. He did read the msg about a hour after I sent it and didn't respond.

I know I sometimes do not respond immediately upon reading a message (people being able to see that is really unhealthy in my opinion). Keep in mind that in meetings or other activities throughout the workday, it is easy to check and read things without being noticed, but typing back a counter or acceptance may be more difficult. I hate to say it, but I would be pretty irked if someone did this to me...I do not know that I would come to the probation list but I certainly would not deal with them again :sorry:

But to answer your actual question I guess it depends on the nature of your offer...were you fishing for a discount or did you send a solid amount with the indication that you would take it if he accepted? If it is the latter, I lean towards thinking he would have the PL option if he chose to pursue it.

I hate to bring this up. Purchased books from 50s horror buff/Jeremy on this thread

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5611627&fpart=1

Paid April 21 and still waiting for the books. A Pm I sent a few days has gone unread. I noticed he hasn't posted since that thread so I pmed some of the boardies who also purchased from that thread. 3 have not received and 3 have.

I definitely get the feeling that he a honest guy and means well, and I hope he is ok but I can't ignore that there is a problem.

I'm one of the 3 that have not received the books as well. And no response to my PM (not read either as well). I assume at this point I should just begin Paypal refund proceedings until further notice? Or am I jumping the gun here?

Start the refund process. If he does get the books out you can pay him again.

I send a offer to someone, I see that he read the offer and didnt reply. I checked again about 7 hours later and no response so I decided to buy something else. He reply about 9 hours later and says ok "but know I already spent the money" I informed that I spent the money, but I was wondering if its a offense

It's not a deal until you both "shake on it" as it were. Whenever I make an offer, I don't consider it a done deal until we've both said okay. So no, I wouldn't say you're on the hook with the fellow.

I usually try to phase my offers as a question, just to make it a bit more clear that it's not final yet: "Hey man, would you accept $120 for your Captain Carrot #16 4.5 GLOD?"

I feel that when someone makes an offer and it's accepted, a deal has been made. 9 hours is a short time period.

Usually there's something about "put up the :takeit: in the thread to seal the deal" ... and conversely if someone else has put up the :takeit: in the thread in the meantime, your deal is null. So it doesn't seem like a done deal to me. Nonetheless, I've never backed out of one, and doubt I ever would.

It's not a deal until you both "shake on it" as it were. Whenever I make an offer, I don't consider it a done deal until we've both said okay. So no, I wouldn't say you're on the hook with the fellow.

I usually try to phase my offers as a question, just to make it a bit more clear that it's not final yet: "Hey man, would you accept $120 for your Captain Carrot #16 4.5 GLOD?"

My question is, why would you ask if you aren't planning on buying it if the answer is "yes?" Otherwise, it seems to me you're just wasting the seller's time...

My question is, why would you ask if you aren't planning on buying it if the answer is "yes?" Otherwise, it seems to me you're just wasting the seller's time...

Yeah, it's a reasonable question. Sometimes I really am just wondering, or still on the fence. When that's the case, I'll spell it out though, like "Hey man. I still need to figure out exactly what I can afford, but would you do $160 for blah blah blah." :shrug:

I feel that when someone makes an offer and it's accepted, a deal has been made. 9 hours is a short time period.

Usually there's something about "put up the :takeit: in the thread to seal the deal" ... and conversely if someone else has put up the :takeit: in the thread in the meantime, your deal is null. So it doesn't seem like a done deal to me. Nonetheless, I've never backed out of one, and doubt I ever would.

Now that I think about it, if you're going to bail on an offer before getting a response, you should at least send a further PM stating as much, so the seller doesn't set the comic aside or otherwise inconvenience him/herself.

I work 12 hour shifts with 1 hour travel, 8 hours is a short time to me, I would not have been able to respond in that timescale. 2c

I still dont really think it would be an offence or a deal until both parties nailed it down properly.

Now that I think about it, if you're going to bail on an offer before getting a response, you should at least send a further PM stating as much, so the seller doesn't set the comic aside or otherwise inconvenience him/herself.

Thats a point, I never thought of. (thumbs u

With a heavy heart I would like to add 50s horror buff (jeremy) to the list.

Purchased some books here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5611627&fpart=1

invoiced on April 21 and paid for them same day. They have not arrived and my PMs to him are unread and he has not posted on the boards since April 21.

After checking with some of the other buyers on Jeremy's thread I found two other buyers who have not received their books and three that did.

He has not replied to a message sent to his email addy.

invoiced on April 21 and paid for them same day. They have not arrived and my PMs to him are unread and he has not posted on the boards since April 21.

After checking with some of the other buyers on Jeremy's thread I found two other buyers who have not received their books and three that did.

His last post. :(

2877667318t_1m_1985_nissan_300zx.jpg

Will have my car fixed and pick up this classic to boot! Little paint job and some breaks I will feel like I'm back in high school!

I should of done that, but I was at work also :( I really don't have the extra cash right now but If I have to do it I will.

I should of done that, but I was at work also :( I really don't have the extra cash right now but If I have to do it I will.
Ask the seller how he feels about it. Perhaps, he will let it slide. (thumbs u

Will have my car fixed and pick up this classic to boot! Little paint job and some breaks I will feel like I'm back in high school!

The get-away car??

I concur. And I'm one of the other buyers who didn't get the stuff.

The get-away car??

I hope he is ok. I definitely get the sense that he's honest and a true fan of the medium and this behavior is out of the norm.

I concur. And I'm one of the other buyers who didn't get the stuff.

I am the third buyer, and also did not receive my purchases.

It has been over a month, and two weeks ago the seller responded they were in the mail. Nothing has arrived, and my PMs have also been unread.

I second the concur.