Page 1 of 5 12345>
Topic Options
#5708799 - 05/23/12 05:12 PM HOLY $*%! PEPSI IS PEOPLE?
Mr 9.8 Online   offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: The CURSED Earth!
This story can't be real

PepsiCo Says It Will Halt Use of Aborted Fetal Cells in Flavor Research

A pro-life leader has won a victory in her efforts to convince soft-drink manufacturer PepsiCo to stop the use of aborted fetal cells in its research for enhancing the flavors of its products. Debi Vinnedge, executive director of Children of God for Life (COGFL), announced that in late April she had received a letter from Paul Boykas, PepsiCo’s vice president for Global Public Policy, confirming that the company will not allow the use of HEK-293 — a cell line derived from human embryonic kidney — in its partnership with Senomyx, the company with which it had inked a four-year, $30 million contract for flavor research.

http://thenewamerican.com/culture/faith-...flavor-research

If this is true how come the Pro-Life media (FNC) Haven't been harping about this? meh
People love seeing violence and horrible things. The human being is bad and he can't stand more than five minutes of happiness. Put him in a dark theater and ask him to look at two hours of happiness and he'd walk out or fall asleep.

- Paul Verhoeven

#5708992 - 05/23/12 06:20 PM Re: HOLY $*%! PEPSI IS PEOPLE? [Re: Mr 9.8]
TomB Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

HEK-293 cells have a long and productive history in biological research. If I recall correctly, they were originally produced in the 1970s from modified kidney cells obtained from a legally aborted fetus in Europe. The are most certainly not used in Pepsi products, however, they may very well be used in the screening research done to improve Pepsi products.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

Check out my photography and follow me on Facebook

On ebay as ivyleaguecoin

#5709015 - 05/23/12 06:29 PM Re: HOLY $*%! PEPSI IS PEOPLE? [Re: TomB]
WoodenJefferson Offline

I have nothing to add or subtract, I am merely here.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Mach II with my hair on fire!
No wonder, the last one I cracked open smelled a bit like armpit.

#5709188 - 05/23/12 07:50 PM Re: HOLY $*%! PEPSI IS PEOPLE? [Re: WoodenJefferson]
ComicConnoisseur Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: BOSTON STRONG
WOW!
You learn something new here everyday!
I wonder what else Pepsi is up to?

#5709574 - 05/23/12 09:40 PM Re: HOLY $*%! PEPSI IS PEOPLE? [Re: WoodenJefferson]
truthteller Offline
Instigator
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: The one true undisputed Truth
 Originally Posted By: WoodenJefferson
No wonder, the last one I cracked open smelled a bit like armpit.

My last Coke smelled like embalmed cadaver.

TRUTH

Max, 5/7/2010 I will see you again

#5710274 - 05/24/12 05:08 AM Re: HOLY $*%! PEPSI IS PEOPLE? [Re: truthteller]
Bane Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Reading, England
Its the new "Soylent Green" flavour!

No Jamie, you were one of a kind and you will be missed my friend. RIP.

#5710275 - 05/24/12 05:14 AM Re: HOLY $*%! PEPSI IS PEOPLE? [Re: Mr 9.8]
He11blazer Offline

Bongwater saved my life.

One night about 20 years ago, I fell asleep on my bedroom floor next to a lit candle...

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Brighton, UK
 Originally Posted By: Mr 9.8
This story can't be real

PepsiCo Says It Will Halt Use of Aborted Fetal Cells in Flavor Research

A pro-life leader has won a victory in her efforts to convince soft-drink manufacturer PepsiCo to stop the use of aborted fetal cells in its research for enhancing the flavors of its products. Debi Vinnedge, executive director of Children of God for Life (COGFL), announced that in late April she had received a letter from Paul Boykas, PepsiCo’s vice president for Global Public Policy, confirming that the company will not allow the use of HEK-293 — a cell line derived from human embryonic kidney — in its partnership with Senomyx, the company with which it had inked a four-year, $30 million contract for flavor research.

http://thenewamerican.com/culture/faith-...flavor-research

If this is true how come the Pro-Life media (FNC) Haven't been harping about this? meh

It's all covered quite well on Snopes: http://www.snopes.com/politics/medical/pepsi.asp

The 'Children of God for Life' actually stated that they would have been OK with researchers using "...monkey cells, Chinese Hamster Ovary cells, insect cells or other MORALLY OBTAINED HUMAN CELLS expressing the G protein..."

In other words, their only complaint is that the cell line originally derived from stem cells from a single legally aborted fetus 40 years ago. They wouldn't mind if the cells had been taken from a living baby. This is classic 'pro-life' insanity.

#5710603 - 05/24/12 09:52 AM Re: HOLY $*%! PEPSI IS PEOPLE? [Re: He11blazer]
hockey&comicsguy Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: The Nati
 Originally Posted By: He11blazer

In other words, their only complaint is that the cell line originally derived from stem cells from a single legally aborted fetus 40 years ago. They wouldn't mind if the cells had been taken from a living baby. This is classic 'pro-life' insanity.

Pro lifers and myself will simply never agree. I'll be nice and leave it at that.

#5710606 - 05/24/12 09:53 AM Re: HOLY $*%! PEPSI IS PEOPLE? [Re: He11blazer]
BlowUpTheMoon Offline

Don't let these guys jerk you around. To change your custom title, go to My Stuff, then go to Preferences. You can change your custom title there.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Is our beloved Water Closet beginning to look like http://www.fark.com ?

#6110808 - 10/30/12 05:55 AM Re: HOLY $*%! PEPSI IS PEOPLE? [Re: BlowUpTheMoon]
He11blazer Offline

Bongwater saved my life.

One night about 20 years ago, I fell asleep on my bedroom floor next to a lit candle...

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Brighton, UK
I mentioned 'pro life' along with the adjective 'halfwitted' in passing a few days ago and got kicked off the boards! First time for me.

I'm guessing a certain newish member with delicate sensibilities and a sheltered, insular worldview went crying to mommy.

For the record, there is absolutely no rational defense of a 'pro life' position. Calling anyone who holds that view 'halfwitted' is nevertheless a gross generalization Plenty of highly intelligent people hold irrational beliefs. Also, a great many halfwits.

Page 1 of 5 12345>

Moderator:  Gemma, ngcmod, Architecht, cgcmod3, cgcmod, cgcmod2, Harshen, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod5, cgcmod7, cgcmod8, CCGmod0, Barbara T, cgcmod9, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, ccgmod1, PaulS. 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
Error Coins for Sale
by Jon Sullivan
12:14 PM
WTB NGC MS69 Quarters 2009-2014
by Kapimono
10/21/14 11:57 AM
FSH; BU roll 1964 P Kennedy halves, *SOLD*
by cucamongacoin
10/20/14 07:26 PM
FSH; $500 FRN VF with a problem *SOLD*
by cucamongacoin
10/20/14 07:25 PM
Comics Marketplace
Fear 19, Hulk 168 and Marvel Premiere 48
by joeypost
11:11 PM
PRICE DROP -- Walking Dead #1 CGC 9.8 For Sale
by kuddy
09:49 PM
Iron Man #282 CGC 9.8, 9.6 (5 Available) 1st War Machine
by Comicsarefun
09:41 PM
Variant Cover Lots!
by Zanziber
09:36 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.013 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.