• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper Age on the forum
1 1

356 posts in this topic

I guess disco would be Bronze age music whereas Culture Club (w/Boy George) is Copper age music?

If we're talking about popular music for the time periods...

Bronze would definitely be disco... maybe the Eagles.

Copper would be a band more like Motley Crue. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifgrin.gif

Not that I'm suggesting that we're the only possible opinion on this, but I'm gathering from this thread that nobody here realizes we just established the range for the Copper Age from our perspective in the last edition of the Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide, ending Bronze at 1984 and carrying Copper through to the introduction of Image Comics in 1992.

Now you certainly don't have to *agree* with us, but it's not as if the Copper Age is a completely new idea, and it wasn't when we talked about it either.

Arnold

I can agree with you on the starting year, just not the choice of a final year.

I still think comics ages are falling into 14 year cycles..

Gold 1939-1953

Atomic 1953-1956 (the exception)

Silver 1956-1970

Bronze 1970-1984

Copper 1984 - 1998

?? 1998-2012.

I can agree with you on the starting year, just not the choice of a final year.

I still think comics ages are falling into 14 year cycles..

Gold 1939-1953

Atomic 1953-1956 (the exception)

Silver 1956-1970

Bronze 1970-1984

Copper 1984 - 1998

?? 1998-2012.

What are you using as the 1998 turning point? Marvel Knights?

Not that I'm suggesting that we're the only possible opinion on this, but I'm gathering from this thread that nobody here realizes we just established the range for the Copper Age from our perspective in the last edition of the Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide, ending Bronze at 1984 and carrying Copper through to the introduction of Image Comics in 1992.

Now you certainly don't have to *agree* with us, but it's not as if the Copper Age is a completely new idea, and it wasn't when we talked about it either.

Arnold

What criteria are you using as the cut off date 1984 for the Bronze age, could you explain?

BTW: I'm all for a Copper Age section!

we just established the range for the Copper Age from our perspective in the last edition of the Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide, ending Bronze at 1984 and carrying Copper through to the introduction of Image Comics in 1992.

This is actually why I brought up the question. Overstreet's determination is as good as anyone else's and to avoid needless or at least endless debate, I thought cgc should just add a forum for discussion of the Copper age as designated by Overstreet.

1992 in my opinion is definately a good stopping point. While sales may still not have plummeted, their was a definite shift in marketing that presents itself as a perfect comic era threshhold.

As for the ending of bronze, I am not so sure, but 1984 is fine with me.

Thoughts?

While there are many factors (as with anything, really), in our article introducing the Age designation we largely focused on the publication of the Secret Wars maxi-series in 1984-85 and the Crisis maxi-series in 1985-86 as examples of an editorial and publishing shift toward a more epic employment and consolidation of the publishers' respective universes. These events would also influence further publishing decisions for years to come and create lasting changes in the fictional worlds as well as the real-world industry.

But again, there are many other factors, some of which have been discussed here in past threads.

Arnold

More like 1997-98, but here goes:

1. Marvel Knights

2. Heroes Return

3. Grant Morrison's JLA "return of the big 7"

Copper ends with a bang with Kingdom Come in 1996... putting down all of the changes wrought by Copper - revisions, costume changes, revamps, image style characters, etc. - looking forward to a new generation of changes with traditional heroes leading the charge. Reflecting a similar longing for changes in Astro City, Kesel's Daredevil... and so on.

Heroes Reborn is an awful revival attempt but spawns a more traditional approach to Marvel heroes with Busiek's Avengers and Iron Man, Claremont's FF and Waid's Captain America. Smith and Quesada revive Daredevil, Ennis revives Punisher.

Morrison's JLA revives a higher octane style of storytelling featuring DC's big characters with the dynamics of former Vertigo sensibilities. Shreck is brought in to revive Batman when O'Neil retires.

Overall, the industry is perceived as being "in recovery" from the crash of the 1990's. Image founders have gone back to the plantation... Sandman, the great Vertigo experiment is pretty much done as Preacher is the new Vertigo book and displays none of the sensibilities that Vertigo's editor Karen Berger wants her comics to be about.

And there are other things which I can't recall off the top of my head.

I realize that trying to define a starting and stopping point for the Copper Age is fodder for great debate, and that can be entertaining. Gives us another topic to geek out about. That's fun. But for more practical purposes, developing a Copper Age Forum (whether it starts in 1980 or 1984 and ends in 1990 or 1993 etc. doesn't matter) would give us an area to talk about books that were published after Bronze but are not anywhere near being new. 10 years ago, 20 years ago whatever. Point is, we do need a middle ground but I don't care where the exact boundry lies on either side, give or take a few years confused-smiley-013.gif. -----Sid

I agree. A copper forum is needed. We don't need to state a specific time frame, although, as I stated before there is nothing wrong with Overstreet's designation.

We just need the forum and the time frame can work itself out naturally.

I also agree.... no timeframes have to be set in stone...

We're talking about books which are immediately post-Bronze and definitely earlier than 1999.

The specific dates don't have to be ironed out now... just those general guidelines.

Just curious if there are any plans to add a Copper Comics section to the forum. Is CGC resisting this new classification? Is it just something that will take time? Is it pointless? Thoughts?

thanks

I'm pushing for the Aluminum Foil Age myself.

Seems to work for me, considering all the foil covers and what not!

Well, it would have to be the Aluminum Foil Age followed by the Hologram Age followed by the Chromium Age.....

Jeez, with all that shiny stuff, no wonder it's drawing comparisons to disco.

Well, it would have to be the Aluminum Foil Age followed by the Hologram Age followed by the Chromium Age.....

Jeez, with all that shiny stuff, no wonder it's drawing comparisons to disco.

Then there is everything 2004 and beyond called the Sketch age