• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

Just finished reading the short e-book (available for Kindle) Con Art - Why You Ought to Sell Your Damien Hirsts While You Can by Julian Spalding. The book lambasts producers and enablers of what the author calls "conceptual contemporary [con] art", with Damien Hirst the chief offender (though Marcel Duchamp, Andy Warhol, Joseph Beuys and others are also singled out for shame).

I didn't agree with all of the author's conclusions, but he did make some good observations, particularly about "found objects" and the limits to how artistic photography can actually be, as well as some of the nonsense being purveyed in the marketplace by galleries and museum curators. I also respected the fact that the author is an art critic and former curator, and was keen to highlight the truly good/great art that's been produced over the past century (he's not just some Philistine buffoon bashing all art created after 1900). It's a very short (44 page) read and well worth it.

Just finished reading the short e-book (available for Kindle) Con Art - Why You Ought to Sell Your Damien Hirsts While You Can by Julian Spalding. The book lambasts producers and enablers of what the author calls "conceptual contemporary [con] art", with Damien Hirst the chief offender (though Marcel Duchamp, Andy Warhol, Joseph Beuys and others are also singled out for shame).

I didn't agree with all of the author's conclusions, but he did make some good observations, particularly about "found objects" and the limits to how artistic photography can actually be, as well as some of the nonsense being purveyed in the marketplace by galleries and museum curators. I also respected the fact that the author is an art critic and former curator, and was keen to highlight the truly good/great art that's been produced over the past century (he's not just some Philistine buffoon bashing all art created after 1900). It's a very short (44 page) read and well worth it.

When I was about 8 my parents took me to the Guggenheim. I was walking around and there were a group of about 15 huddled around a particular painting. I walked over and it was a blank canvas with a single red dot. These individuals were so taken aback by its beauty and meaning that they couldn't stop gushing.

From that point foward I realized a few important things about art and patrons of the arts:

1. An individual's level of douchery is mirrored by their art knowledge.

2. Not all art is subjective. A red dot is not art, a Dali painting is.

3. Every painting does not have a deep meaning, sometimes tits are just tits.

4. Art critics are just pent up masturbators who couldn't ejaculate themselves so they criticize the love juice of others.

5. Rich people need to spend large amounts of money to validate their constant hunger for more money. They also want to one up the other rich person who lives/works by them. Art is a perfect excuse.

6. Most people are sheep and need to be told if they should like something.

When I was about 8 my parents took me to the Guggenheim. I was walking around and there were a group of about 15 huddled around a particular painting. I walked over and it was a blank canvas with a single red dot. These individuals were so taken aback by its beauty and meaning that they couldn't stop gushing.

From that point foward I realized a few important things about art and patrons of the arts:

4. Art critics are just pent up masturbators who couldn't ejaculate themselves so they criticize the love juice of others.

5. Rich people need to spend large amounts of money to validate their constant hunger for more money. They also want to one up the other rich person who lives/works by them. Art is a perfect excuse.

As a kid I always loved the story of the Emperors New Clothes. It appealed to my innate skepticism. I feel that the concept behind it applies more to the world of high end modern art than almost any other subject. So although I agree with your entire list, number 6 is my personal favourite (thumbs u

Were they Japanese? Maybe they were feeling patriotic.

Finished since my Last post: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Still reading: The Complete Stories of Phillip K Dick vol 1 King of the Elves (Subterranean Press)

Started re-reading: A Game of Thrones by George R R Martin.

I picked up a few fascinating books recently, too.

I saw Pulitzer prize winning journalist Tim Weiner on Jon Stewart promoting his new book Enemies: A History of the FBI and was instantly intrigued.

Cruising Ebay I found his previous book Legacy of Ashes: A History of the CIA

Picked up both books and I am about halfway through the CIA book.

Man, the CIA has been up to some dirty business.

I have always been keenly interested in the clandestine services and highly recommend these books for a good picture of some of the hijinks that have gone on with these agencies.

+1

I'm reading a fantastic book called "The Forger's Spell" by Edward Dolnick. It's about Dutch art forger Han van Meegeren who faked a number of Vermeers in the 1930s and sold them to people like Hitler's right hand man, Hermann Goering. If you like art, crime, 1930s and WWII-era European history, this is the book for you.

For the seven years between 1938 and 1945, Van Meegeren's Christ at Emmaus was the most famous and the most admired Vermeer in the world. It was the picture that popped into every art lover's mind when someone said "Vermeer", just as The Night Watch was when someone said "Rembrandt."

Utterly fascinating and highly recommended!

Gene

I just finished "The Girl Who Played with Fire" last night (I needed a break from GRRM's "rape fantasy" :baiting:). So, what better book to read than one that centers around sex trade?

This one was much more enjoyable than the first (Dragon Tattoo). Much quicker pace in this one. Had quite a few predictable moments, but also some stuff I didn't see coming. Not a bad book, not great. Checked in at just over 700 pages, but I flew through it in about 4-5 good sittings.

I'll read the last book in the trilogy as this one left alot of stuff open. Seems that it was more of a "Part 1 of 2", because you just can't end a book the way this one ended.

About halfway through the long version of The Stand.

This is my first King since High School. His prose voice is unmistakable, very memorable.

The book must be a prepper bible.

PS: there is plenty of rape dread in the Stand but no rape scenes so far. It appears this book fits easily into a pre-GRRM worldview.

I'm reading a fantastic book called "The Forger's Spell" by Edward Dolnick. It's about Dutch art forger Han van Meegeren who faked a number of Vermeers in the 1930s and sold them to people like Hitler's right hand man, Hermann Goering. If you like art, crime, 1930s and WWII-era European history, this is the book for you.

For the seven years between 1938 and 1945, Van Meegeren's Christ at Emmaus was the most famous and the most admired Vermeer in the world. It was the picture that popped into every art lover's mind when someone said "Vermeer", just as The Night Watch was when someone said "Rembrandt."

Utterly fascinating and highly recommended!

Gene

Thanks for the tip. Funny is I saw van Meegeren mentioned on Sunday when I finished The Raphael Affair by Iain Pears. One of his characters mentioned van Meegeren when discussing how to disguise a fake.

This is my first King since High School. His prose voice is unmistakable, very memorable.

This was the second King book I read (after Christine) and my all time favorite. It's a behemoth but Absolutely worth it!

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking for something end-of-world/apocalyptic...disease, aliens, gods, nature, zombies, etc. I've read most of the mainstream stuff (King, McCarthy,etc.) so I am looking for something off the beaten path. The darker and grittier the better. Thx.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking for something end-of-world/apocalyptic...disease, aliens, gods, nature, zombies, etc. I've read most of the mainstream stuff (King, McCarthy,etc.) so I am looking for something off the beaten path. The darker and grittier the better. Thx.

The first two were dark and disturbing, the last two were weird and thought provoking. All were good reads.

the-infection-craig-dilouie-book-200x300.jpgdeeper-novel-jeff-long-hardcover-cover-art.jpgamped-198x300.jpg9780857204691-crop-325x325.jpg

This was the second King book I read (after Christine) and my all time favorite. It's a behemoth but Absolutely worth it!

+1

Loved it. Have read most of King's books and read the unabridged Stand years and years ago. On my list to read again.

Dipping in and out of "Satan is Real: The Ballad of the Louvin Brothers" (by Charlie Louvin with Benjamin Whitmer, 2012), a book about these guys who I've heard about but didn't realize their impact in country music and beyond. I'm not a big fan of country music (don't have any disdain toward it either really) but this book is utterly fascinating. Page-turner is a cliche, but it's been my experience thus far.

Ira Louvin died back in the '60s but his brother Charlie just recently died, not long after this book was just recently published in fact. Foreword by Kris Kristofferson and here's a few blurbs for some flavor: "The Burritos' favorite artists"--Gram Parsons; "Charlie...was a true punk, in the best sense of the word."--Lucinda Williams; "There was something scary and washed in the blood about the sound of the Louvin Brothers."--Emmylou Harris.

I guess the back cover blurb sold me on it as I was perusing a bookshelf in a Books-A-Million in Anderson, SC: "The beautiful and tragic saga of the Louvin Brothers--one of the most legendary country duos of all time--is one of America's great untold stories. Charlie Louvin was a good, god-fearing, churchgoing singer, but his brother Ira had the devil in him, and was known for smashing his mandolin to splinters onstage, cussing out Elvis Presley, and trying to strangle his third wife with a telephone cord. 'Satan is Real' is the incredible tale of Charlie Louvin's sixty-five year career, the timeless murder ballads of the Louvin Brothers, and an epic tale of two brothers bound together by love, hate, alcohol, blood, and music."

Whoa.

Edited by cloudofwit

Dipping in and out of "Satan is Real: The Ballad of the Louvin Brothers" (by Charlie Louvin with Benjamin Whitmer, 2012), a book about these guys who I've heard about but didn't realize their impact in country music and beyond. I'm not a big fan of country music (don't have any disdain toward it either really) but this book is utterly fascinating. Page-turner is a cliche, but it's been my experience thus far.

Ira Louvin died back in the '60s but his brother Charlie just recently died, not long after this book was just recently published in fact. Foreword by Kris Kristofferson and here's a few blurbs for some flavor: "The Burritos' favorite artists"--Gram Parsons; "Charlie...was a true punk, in the best sense of the word."--Lucinda Williams; "There was something scary and washed in the blood about the sound of the Louvin Brothers."--Emmylou Harris.

I guess the back cover book summary sold me on it as I was perusing a bookshelf in a Books-A-Million in Anderson, SC: "The beautiful and tragic saga of the Louvin Brothers--one of the most legendary country duos of all time--is one of America's great untold stories. Charlie Louvin was a good, god-fearing, churchgoing singer, but his brother Ira had the devil in him, and was known for smashing his mandolin to splinters onstage, cussing out Elvis Presley, and trying to strangle his third wife with a telephone cord. 'Satan is Real' is the incredible tale of Charlie Louvin's sixty-five year career, the timeless murder ballads of the Louvin Brothers, and an epic tale of two brothers bound together by love, hate, alcohol, blood, and music."

Whoa.

This book just got bumped up in my next-to-read list. Sounds interesting, thanks!