Page 36 of 65 « First<3435363738>Last »
Topic Options
#5630723 - 04/26/12 01:56 PM Re: Lichtenstein Comic Inspired Art Estimated at $35-45 Million [Re: comix4fun]
AtlasFan Offline
Pedigreed

Loc: NY
 Originally Posted By: comix4fun
 Originally Posted By: AtlasFan
 Originally Posted By: tth2
 Originally Posted By: comix4fun
Go on a job interview for a job with Sotheby's Contemporary Art Department or MOMA and espouse negativity towards Lichtenstein and see how long the interview lasts.

Even better is go in there and talk about your love for Thomas Kinkade.

I had an interview with Sotherby's in the late 80s for a computer job. I did mention that I collected comics - we did have a brief chat about it, and I dont think it hurt my chances!

Well you probably didn't say " I collect comics and that goat -er Lichten " The interview would take a whole different turn I would guess. lol

I didnt know anything about Roy at the time, so he never came up. But I do remember mentioning Barry Smith as an artist I liked - jeeze maybe that's what did me in!

#5630799 - 04/26/12 02:39 PM Re: Lichtenstein Comic Inspired Art Estimated at $35-45 Million [Re: delekkerste]
comix4fun Offline

This is one of the rare times that having no friends works in my favor.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Under The Serious Moonlight
 Originally Posted By: delekkerste
Go for a job interview at Heritage's Comic Art Department or MoCCA and espouse negativity towards Kirby and Frazetta and see how long the interview lasts.

Wouldn't that be more an example of being ill-informed and of a low IQ? lol

I think they'd be more upset if someone equated Kirby's contributions or Frazetta's in general to someone who's most well remembered for aping someone else work.

"That's my secret.....I'm always angry."

"I wake up in the morning and I *spoon* excellence. I am just a big, hairy, American, winning machine."

#5656803 - 05/06/12 01:01 PM Re: Lichtenstein Comic Inspired Art Estimated at $35-45 Million [Re: comix4fun]
delekkerste Offline

James Bond wears a Rolex...the rest is just product placement.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: New York, NY
Chris, will you be leading the protests against this?

Roy Lichtenstein Retrospective at The Art Institute of Chicago Opens May 16

At the very least, I expect a strongly worded letter to the Director of the AIC and to the editor of the Tribune.
"Stability begets instability...the more stable things appear, the more dangerous the ultimate outcome will be, because people start to assume everything will be all right and end up doing stupid things." - Dr. Hyman Minsky

"Buy because you love it, because the next generation in all likelihood ain't gonna love it as much as you did." - Gene P.

"No asset is so good that it can't become a bad investment if bought at too high a price." - Howard Marks

Price is what you pay, value is what you get.

It's not what you buy, it's when you buy.

It's better to be thought a fool than to open your wallet and remove all doubt.

My ComicArtFans.com Online Comic Art Gallery

#5656872 - 05/06/12 01:49 PM Re: Lichtenstein Comic Inspired Art Estimated at $35-45 Million [Re: delekkerste]
comix4fun Offline

This is one of the rare times that having no friends works in my favor.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Under The Serious Moonlight
 Originally Posted By: delekkerste
Chris, will you be leading the protests against this?

Roy Lichtenstein Retrospective at The Art Institute of Chicago Opens May 16

At the very least, I expect a strongly worded letter to the Director of the AIC and to the editor of the Tribune.

I plan on sneaking in, undercover.

I am knitting my own turtleneck and scanning the pawn shops for a sweet pair of faux hipster shades. lol

I do know there were interviews with several people,on video, who were in town about the retrospective. They were to be run on monitors in and around the retrospective. Several of them were less than complimentary. I wonder if any of the critical discussions will be shown to the public.

"That's my secret.....I'm always angry."

"I wake up in the morning and I *spoon* excellence. I am just a big, hairy, American, winning machine."

#5667778 - 05/10/12 12:52 AM Re: Lichtenstein Comic Inspired Art Estimated at $35-45 Million [Re: comix4fun]
AKA Rick Offline
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Another Lichetenstein piece just sold for $45 Million

http://news.yahoo.com/lichtensteins-sleeping-girl-sells-record-45-million-023001600.html

#5667910 - 05/10/12 02:56 AM Re: Lichtenstein Comic Inspired Art Estimated at $35-45 Million [Re: AKA Rick]
Bonds25 Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: San Diego, CA
 Originally Posted By: AKA Rick

Absolutely insane. What a piece of turd!

#5668156 - 05/10/12 09:13 AM Re: Lichtenstein Comic Inspired Art Estimated at $35-45 Million [Re: AKA Rick]
delekkerste Offline

James Bond wears a Rolex...the rest is just product placement.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: New York, NY

The prices just get nuttier and nuttier, but the artwork is beautiful. In spite of its overt comic book style, it still manages to be a moving and poignant stolen moment of a sleeping girl, as much as any photograph or Old Master rendering of the same subject, without the use of any words or backstory as in the original printed comic book. I don't know what kind of value-neutral world some of you guys live in, but to think that the original panel in a comic book speaks to the reader/viewer in remotely the same way, or is somehow equal to or even superior because it was the source material for Lichtenstein's work, is just

That said, the mood of the market (not just in contemporary art, but across many art/collectibles categories) feels disturbingly like late 2007-early 2008 to me, with people paying up with abandon despite the fact that the global economy is clearly showing signs of rolling over (with Europe sliding into a Depression with a capital D). I would not be at all surprised to see another hiccup in the art market in late 2012 or early 2013, much as we saw in late 2008 and 2009 (and, aside from the best of the best, most art/collectibles are still below their peak prices achieved in 2006-2008). I would not be at all surprised to see people point (in hindsight) to the $120 million sale of The Scream as an inflection/turning point in the art market, much as Damien Hirst's Beautiful Inside My Head Forever sale in September 2008 marked the top of the overall contemporary art market to date.
"Stability begets instability...the more stable things appear, the more dangerous the ultimate outcome will be, because people start to assume everything will be all right and end up doing stupid things." - Dr. Hyman Minsky

"Buy because you love it, because the next generation in all likelihood ain't gonna love it as much as you did." - Gene P.

"No asset is so good that it can't become a bad investment if bought at too high a price." - Howard Marks

Price is what you pay, value is what you get.

It's not what you buy, it's when you buy.

It's better to be thought a fool than to open your wallet and remove all doubt.

My ComicArtFans.com Online Comic Art Gallery

#5668248 - 05/10/12 10:03 AM Re: Lichtenstein Comic Inspired Art Estimated at $35-45 Million [Re: delekkerste]
AtlasFan Offline
Pedigreed

Loc: NY
I wonder who the real artist was? Sheesh!
#5668258 - 05/10/12 10:07 AM Re: Lichtenstein Comic Inspired Art Estimated at $35-45 Million [Re: AtlasFan]
Nexus Offline
I was posting here when you were in diapers.

Originally Posted By: AtlasFan
I wonder who the real artist was? Sheesh!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/05/10/r...o-nine-figures/

http://www.felixcomicart.com Original art rep for Garry Brown, Aaron Conley, Nick Dragotta, James Harren, Chris Mooneyham, Bryan Lee O'Malley, Nick Pitarra, Riley Rossmo, Cody Schibi, Kyle Strahm, Ramon Villalobos.

#5668316 - 05/10/12 10:33 AM Re: Lichtenstein Comic Inspired Art Estimated at $35-45 Million [Re: Bonds25]
Terry Doyle Offline
If you have a dream about out-posting me, you better wake up and apologize.

Loc: England, United Kingdom
 Originally Posted By: Bonds25

Absolutely insane. What a piece of turd!

Fact is often stranger than fiction:

Daniel Edwards, the man who also created the controversial 'Moment to Pro-Life: The Birth of Sean Preston', the statuette of the Britney Spears giving birth on a bearskin, has come up with another idea for a grand piece of art.

'Suri Cruise's Baby Poop Bronzed for Charity', is a bronze statuette of the famous baby's allegedly first poop and, as anyone can easily see, the plaque even bears the date of its creation, August 18. For all those interested, the exhibit can be seen on display at Brooklyn Capla Kesting Fine Art Gallery.

The bronze sculpture is meant to be a social critique and comment on the culture of celebrity and of the attention that people paid to the baby of Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes. 'It's partially a statement on modern media that "celebrity poop" has more entertainment value than health, famine or other critical issues facing society and governments today', a spokesperson for the gallery said yesterday at the big 'unveiling'.

'Also, it is a statement on the absurdity of the media coverage surrounding Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes' new baby, Suri Cruise, which has reached stellar proportions and is eclipsing far more notable events with more substance', he added about the art work that already attracted thousands of curious fans.

The gallery, the same one that displayed the Britney-giving-birth statuette, will keep the bronzed poop until September, when the art work is to go on sale on eBay.

In this case, I'd definitely agree that the artist's work is superior to the source material as, for no other reason, it's a lot easier on the nose . . .

"In time, no one will remember our work. Our life will pass like the traces of a cloud and be scattered like mist that is chased by the rays of the sun. For our time is the passing of a shadow . . ."

Page 36 of 65 « First<3435363738>Last »

Moderator:  cgcmod3, Gemma, Harshen, cgcmod2, cgcmod, dena, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod7, cgcmod8, CCGmod0, Barbara T, Matt Nelson, cgcmod9, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, plitch, ccgmod1 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
FSH: 1995-S Civil War Commomorative Dollar PCGS PF-69DCAM & More!
by 123cents
10:30 PM
Auction Catalog Labor Day Sale 40 % off !
by RichH
03:12 PM
FSH - GIANT 44x20 inch prints of 1896 $1 & $5 Silver Certificates! +2 more!
by Paul S
11:54 AM
top pop coins for sale all reasonable offers accepted
by wmfielding
10:15 AM
Comics Marketplace
ATOM #7 CGC 9.2 OWW - 1ST HAWKMAN CROSS-OVER.
by r100comics
04:39 AM
Bropunzel on ComicLink
by DavidTheDavid
02:22 AM
Comics On Ebay
by jefferey328311
02:11 AM
Fresh SS slabs, Swamp Thing, X-Men, Hulk HoS
by reptilekingdie
01:11 AM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.046 seconds in which 0.036 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

125 x 125 - Geppi's Entertainment Museum