• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,446 posts in this topic

Serious question on the 99...is that really a strong price? From what I remember, Splash Art was charging in that range for covers. Does anyone remembe what the 99 cost...couldn't have sold that long ago.

It was either $900 or $950...just can't remember which.

Something about the 1/2 page covers with the blacked out bottom half bother me.

The Made To Suffer arc, now that's cool. The red theme really works, and it ends with a half page cover (issue 48), that works as a final conclusion.

I think that's why I like them though - they remind me of 48. And let's face it, there's a lot of white space on the past couple years worth of Walking Dead covers.

Serious question on the 99...is that really a strong price? From what I remember, Splash Art was charging in that range for covers. Does anyone remembe what the 99 cost...couldn't have sold that long ago.

I think it was 900 - still a good return, especially in light of what the cover to 93 sold for and the quick turn around.

I think it was 900 - still a good return, especially in light of what the cover to 93 sold for and the quick turn around.

I guess my 'worry' is that I was once again the underbidder on this cover. From looking at some of the CAF galleries, it seems i am bidding against the same people time after time, and I wonder what some of these prices would have been if I hadn't bid? Bottom line, I wonder how deep the WD OA market is?

The page with Rick waking up in a hospital bed sold for 8K on ebay. The seller had zero feedback, but that is one of the most important images in comics and certainly in Walking Dead history. I often wonder what kind of money it would have brought if it was sold by a power seller with perfect feedback. As far as the WD art market goes generally, I have no idea how deep the market is?

From looking at some of the CAF galleries, it seems i am bidding against the same people time after time, and I wonder what some of these prices would have been if I hadn't bid? Bottom line, I wonder how deep the WD OA market is?

The 3rd highest bidder bid 1k five days before the auction ended, so it still would have sold for 1025. It looks like the winner sniped the final bid, so I think it's a decent representation price wise.

There are a lot of individual owners of WD art on CAF, and it seems to be pulling fans out of the woodwork. I'd argue it's pretty deep.

The page with Rick waking up in a hospital bed sold for 8K on ebay. The seller had zero feedback, but that is one of the most important images in comics and certainly in Walking Dead history. I often wonder what kind of money it would have brought if it was sold by a power seller with perfect feedback. As far as the WD art market goes generally, I have no idea how deep the market is?

I was the underbidder on that page too. Although the seller had 0 feedback, I was satisfied that it was Bill Crabtree, the artist, and I bid with confidence that I wouldn't be screwed over. But I do wonder what that page gets on Heritage or Clink or a power seller like Sparkle City.

I just checked the bidding history. Besides the winner and me, one other bid up to 7700 and one below that at 7100. That's the one piece that I regret losing.

From looking at some of the CAF galleries, it seems i am bidding against the same people time after time, and I wonder what some of these prices would have been if I hadn't bid? Bottom line, I wonder how deep the WD OA market is?

The 3rd highest bidder bid 1k five days before the auction ended, so it still would have sold for 1025. It looks like the winner sniped the final bid, so I think it's a decent representation price wise.

There are a lot of individual owners of WD art on CAF, and it seems to be pulling fans out of the woodwork. I'd argue it's pretty deep.

Yeah, I just checked on that...so there were at least 3 of us willing to spend 1k or so on it.

I wonder what Hay will price the next round of covers at? Seems like he's right around market price right now which is fine.

Dude just stop posting please. Stop.

Everyone in the know in regards to people bidding on that page knew that Mr. Zero Feedback seller was a somebody in the Comic Book industry. The zero feedback didn't change the final amount it went for at all. Please just stop throwing around your 2 cents when you have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

Dude just stop posting please. Stop.

Everyone in the know in regards to people bidding on that page knew that Mr. Zero Feedback seller was a somebody in the Comic Book industry. The zero feedback didn't change the final amount it went for at all. Please just stop throwing around your 2 cents when you have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

I agree - the zero feedback aspect doesn't play a role here. It's similar to a Heritage consignment thanks to the provenance of the seller (with it being the equivalent of a $9600 sale on ha.com thanks to the buyer's premium).

Not really. After eBay and Paypal fees (and the $20 he probably paid in shipping from Splash Page) he's barely breaking even. Hardly worth the effort.

I agree - the zero feedback aspect doesn't play a role here. It's similar to a Heritage consignment thanks to the provenance of the seller (with it being the equivalent of a $9600 sale on ha.com thanks to the buyer's premium).

This makes no sense. Anyone bidding would have factored in the BP - it wouldn't have sold for $1600 more just because of the BP, the BP would have always factored into the bidding.

On the WD 1 splash, I was in talks to buy it myself and had a small window to buy it for 8K. I thought that that was top of the market and passed but the seller had offers for more but things occured behind the scenes and he eventually decided to pass because he thought he could get more on eBay. The seller wound up taking a bit of a loss on the gamble that he would get more on eBay than selling off eBay.

I would say 8K was true FMV for that splash given the amount of legit interest he had on it at that number, regardless of eBay bidding history.

This is why I totally agree with brendanb438 - especially with OA, you really have to know the full story to truly have an educated opinion.

We can agree to disagree, my point wasn't that those in the know would have paid more for the page, but that there was a shot that some corporate executive's wife would have paid 20K for the page for her husband (I'm not trying to be stereotypical so please ignore my stereotypes but men enjoy Zombies more than women but the genders could easily have been reversed) as a present for his/her birthday or just to buy it because they have tons of cash. That particular scene is one of the scenes most commonly associated with the TV series. Those kinds of buyers don't know who people are, but do know when there is a gold star or whatever by an ebay seller's name that they have had many transactions without incident. Feel free to disagree but I want you to understand my reasoning and not disagree with a strawman or misunderstand my reasoning.

You know what really grinds my gears lately???

People on eBay.

Specifically the non-fan, flippers. It's getting kinda ridiculous. It's not just the comics either, anything/everything Walking Dead.

On my recent order at SplashPage, I had purchased 3 pages. I got an e-mail after I had already paid; stating that unfortunately Issue #79, Pg. 7 ($120) had already been sold and the website had not been updated. I was ok with that as I had a few backup choices. However I go on eBay this morning and someone is selling that SAME page for $300! Makes me so mad! You KNOW whoever bought it did so entirely to make a profit. Thus making the fans shell out more cash than necessary.

Mark knows this and now SpashPage's prices go up! ffs. I'm kinda glad I bought a few pieces when I did. I feel like I rescued an animal from the pound that's now going to a loving family rather than a breeder.

I'm not against making money, I would be a hipocrite if I said I never made a buck on eBay, but to buy up OA in large batches strictly to resell for profit really screws over the fans. (tsk)

:end rant: :frustrated:

Edited by The Walking Dead

We can agree to disagree, my point wasn't that those in the know would have paid more for the page, but that there was a shot that some corporate executive's wife would have paid 20K for the page for her husband (I'm not trying to be stereotypical so please ignore my stereotypes but men enjoy Zombies more than women but the genders could easily have been reversed) as a present for his/her birthday or just to buy it because they have tons of cash. That particular scene is one of the scenes most commonly associated with the TV series. Those kinds of buyers don't know who people are, but do know when there is a gold star or whatever by an ebay seller's name that they have had many transactions without incident. Feel free to disagree but I want you to understand my reasoning and not disagree with a strawman or misunderstand my reasoning.

Even with this caveat, you are still mistaken as one of these "types" was trying to buy it off eBay and it didn't change the valuation very much.

People on eBay.

Specifically the non-fan, flippers. It's getting kinda ridiculous. It's not just the comics either, anything/everything Walking Dead.

On my recent order at SplashPage, I had purchased 3 pages. I got an e-mail after I had already paid; stating that unfortunately Issue #79, Pg. 7 ($120) had already been sold and the website had not been updated. I was ok with that as I had a few backup choices. However I go on eBay this morning and someone is selling that SAME page for $300! Makes me so mad! You KNOW whoever bought it did so entirely to make a profit. Thus making the fans shell out more cash than necessary.

Mark knows this and now SpashPage's prices go up! ffs. I'm kinda glad I bought a few pieces when I did. I feel like I rescued an animal from the pound that's now going to a loving family rather than a breeder.

I'm not against making money, I would be a hipocrite if I said I never made a buck on eBay, but to buy up OA in large batches strictly to resell for profit really screws over the fans. (tsk)

Here's the LINK to the listing.

I hope Mark is noticing that those pages are NOT selling for the most part. I agree that there are many people trying to flip WD art, but from what i can see they aren't very successful at it.

People on eBay.

Here's the LINK to the listing.

I hope Mark is noticing that those pages are NOT selling for the most part. I agree that there are many people trying to flip WD art, but from what i can see they aren't very successful at it.

Those pages are not meant to be selling for those prices. They are up to try and drive traffic to other items for sale. Now if someone pulls the trigger and pays a ton for a piece of OA that is their right. Free BIN listings on eBay are a good thing to take advantage of if you have stuff you don't really care to sell, but if someone pays a crazy amount for them you will gladly take the offer.

I own over 50 pieces of WD OA now and have a dozen of them framed including a few of them listed on eBay. I will continue to list some of them here and there to drive people to look at my other stuff for sale.

Also I have sold off 2 pieces of WD OA in the past week to fellow board members for what I paid plus shipping. If it is a piece I am not that attached to I don't mind letting it go to another board member.