Page 24 of 185 « First<2223242526>Last »
Topic Options
#5656639 - 05/06/12 11:18 AM Re: The Official 2012 MLB Thread [Re: Burntboy]
the_Greatest Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Since he had a 100 ab drought last year, it probably doesn't matter that much that he managed to do a bit worse this year.
I knew there was a case that this reminded me of, and I knew it wasn't even Adam Dunn, who is bouncing back this year.
It finally came to me it was Dave Winfield. At least he was still hitting for average, but he was under tremendous pressure to produce power numbers.
I love how these guys are still susceptible to what has to be incredible pressure to perform.
Pujols will be fine. Ignoring the point I made here years ago that there has to be at least a possibility he might be 2 years older than anyone (except the Cardinals ;\) ) knows, he'll be fine for many years.
But ten? Yikes.

hm
The interviewer then asked "So you don't believe in God?" I responded " I'm not in a position to believe or disbelieve in him. You know, the athiests, who not only believe but know there is no God, are just as silly as those that have no doubt that there is. Over the centuries, thousands of tomes and trillions of words have been written on the subject, yet neither side can come up with one single fact to support its position. But in this realm, where people's minds have been on permanent sabbatical, that fact is apparently immaterial."-- Vincent Bugliosi

"Five generations ago, a mere 125 years back, this land was known only as "the West". Known only to a handful of white men,...lonely trappers,........ wandering its vastness,... in search of beaver."---- Spencer Tracy, Intro to "How the West Was Won".

#5656652 - 05/06/12 11:28 AM Re: The Official 2012 MLB Thread [Re: Burntboy]
Ariamus Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: 3rd Rock From the Sun
 Originally Posted By: Burntboy
 Originally Posted By: Ariamus
BTW, Pujols is sitting today. In a season that's been marked by the fact that only one player's name has appeared in the lineup in the same order and at the same position every single game so far, Albert Pujols will not be hitting third and playing first for the Angels tonight... hm

First, I didn't realize you were STILL living in NJ - assumed you were relocated to the west coast at some point. (As you're surely aware; Northern NJ is Yankee territory and Southern NJ is Phillieland, hence the confusion on my part).

I saw he was being sat today and believe that can only help - maybe get him a bit Pizzed Off and ready to come back and do some harm.

His current HRless streak is somewhere in the 135 AB area, which is his longest drought ever, I believe. Interestingly, there have been a couple of other longer beginning of season streaks for guys who hit 40+ the prior year (one was Junior).

Today's devils/flyers game should be a doozy with the flyers literally throwing everthing at us...

First baseball game I saw was a Nolan Ryan special against the Yankees in the middle of the summer of '79: 9 IP, 9 K, 5 BB, 1 hit allowed. Halos went to the post-season that year; had some excellent players have really great season including Bobby Grich and Don Baylor. I've been a Halos fan ever since.

The funny thing is, and this goes to show you how much things have changed, this kid that lived down the street from us who taught me how to play and all about baseball, and I watched the game after the fact but it was still fresh. It was a night game and we weren't allowed to stay up late so we watched it the next day. I guess it was a Friday night game so I guess we probably watched on Saturday morning.

I can't remember if his dad recorded the game (they were the cool family because they had a VCR) or PIX was re-running it on Saturday morning but I know we watched it after the fact but we had no idea what had happened. It was like watching it live for us. No way you could do that now.

#5656971 - 05/06/12 02:49 PM Re: The Official 2012 MLB Thread [Re: Ariamus]
FlyingDonut Offline

I sold the first CGC book ever on eBay and all I got was this stinking title.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Chicagoan Abroad
Today is the 97th anniversary of the first home run hit by Babe Ruth. \(thumbs u
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

"I'd like to thank Chicago for single-handedly keeping the following American big-city traditions alive: smoking, drinking during the day, eating terrible food, congeniality and breasts. It's noble work you're doing, Chicago. We're all proud of you."
Bill Simmons, May 28, 2010

#5656975 - 05/06/12 02:51 PM Re: The Official 2012 MLB Thread [Re: FlyingDonut]
Ariamus Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Originally Posted By: FlyingDonut
Today is the 97th anniversary of the first home run hit by Babe Ruth. \(thumbs u

It's also the Say Hey Kid, Willie Mays' birthday, I believe... \(thumbs u

#5656984 - 05/06/12 02:57 PM Re: The Official 2012 MLB Thread [Re: FlyingDonut]
Ariamus Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

BTW Dan, Little Fish had himself a night last night... 2-4, homer, two RBI, hit three balls hard, turned what for most would be a single into an easy double. This was after Friday night where he hit the ball pretty hard including two right on the screws but unfortunately, nothing but at'em balls... \:\( Looks like he's warming to the task though...

...how's your guy doing so far? hm

#5657422 - 05/06/12 06:37 PM Re: The Official 2012 MLB Thread [Re: FlyingDonut]
arexcrooke Offline

Stop the hennyclucking

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Up your kilt with a wire brush...

Just bought tickets to the June 16th Yanks vs Washington game
Saturday, left field, beer Seeing the Yanks with my wife, son, and Mom who is a Yanks fan is
Check out my Kudos thread!
am looking for the following:

#5658797 - 05/07/12 10:53 AM Re: The Official 2012 MLB Thread [Re: arexcrooke]
Burntboy Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Penna.
Well, looks like Albert's one game benching was just what the doctor ordered...got his first (of what will likely be many) HR of the season yesterday.

And for some strange reason, the Flyers blew a huge chance to even the series with the devils last night, after going up 2-0. Tomorrow night in Philly could be brutal...

http://www.tvcomics.com/Sids.html

#5658848 - 05/07/12 11:15 AM Re: The Official 2012 MLB Thread [Re: arexcrooke]
chrisco37 Offline

I think mine is coming up soon

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Caltopia
 Originally Posted By: arexcrooke

Saturday, left field, beer Seeing the Yanks with my wife, son, and Mom who is a Yanks fan is

Make sure you hit me up if you've got time when you're in town.

#5659634 - 05/07/12 05:05 PM Re: The Official 2012 MLB Thread [Re: chrisco37]
arexcrooke Offline

Stop the hennyclucking

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Up your kilt with a wire brush...
 Originally Posted By: chrisco37
 Originally Posted By: arexcrooke

Make sure you hit me up if you've got time when you're in town.

Dinner on Friday night?
Check out my Kudos thread!
am looking for the following:

#5661249 - 05/08/12 01:31 AM Re: The Official 2012 MLB Thread [Re: arexcrooke]
tth2 Offline

"I blame it on the low quality of the newbies that are joining the boards."
--And with one swoop tth2 become the community crotchety old man. Damn kids today.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Hong Kong
Tonight must have seemed like old times for Doug Fister. Pitching in Safeco Field, 7 scoreless innings, and then his relievers blow the game in the bottom of the 9th.

The only difference is that now Fister pitches for Detroit and it was Seattle doing the rallying!

Page 24 of 185 « First<2223242526>Last »

Moderator:  Gemma, ngcmod, Architecht, cgcmod3, cgcmod, cgcmod2, Harshen, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod5, cgcmod7, cgcmod8, CCGmod0, Barbara T, cgcmod9, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
1848 French Pattern 20 Francs in Gold
by RWB
Yesterday at 07:35 PM
DOZENS OF COOL VARIETIES AVAILABLE RIGHT NOW!
by coinman1794
Yesterday at 05:46 PM
Selling "100 Greatest US Modern Coins" at Long Beach....
by Cellgazer
Yesterday at 03:14 PM
sold
by AnkurJ
Yesterday at 09:21 AM
Comics Marketplace
Daredevil #6-200 (over half of the run) low.mid, high grade CHEAP :)
by comicnut
45 minutes 45 seconds ago
Doom vs Archie Sale
by Scturo
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
Preacher #1 9.4 For Sale
by Pinky Lee Zepplin
Yesterday at 11:31 PM
One Book - Hulk #6 CGC 6.5
by diestler
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.04 seconds in which 0.03 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.