• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
38 38

14,405 posts in this topic

I see that both you and I are buying some Marvels lately. SLR

I've noticed, and it's been fun. The Ditko/Lee ASM's are some truly great reads.

Thnx for the warm welcome, Tom - we'll have to meet one of these days! :)

Here are two more technical mid-grade (but still w/bright colors and nearly white interiors) Spideys that got me started. I had previously purchased these from a dealer - Ed Robertson out of Arizona - who had the integrity to see the few flaws (e.g., notice the right side staining on the ASM 19 and the bottom edge center damage on the ASM 17) to grade/price these books fairly.

I've enjoyed them both a bunch.

ASM17001.jpg

Here are two more technical mid-grade (but still w/bright colors and nearly white interiors) Spideys that got me started. I had previously purchased these from a dealer - Ed Robertson out of Arizona - who had the integrity to see the few flaws (e.g., notice the right side staining on the ASM 19 and the bottom edge center damage on the ASM 17) to grade/price these books fairly.

I've enjoyed them both a bunch.

ASM17001.jpg

XLNT pickups! Ed R's good peeps! :headbang:

ASM19001.jpg

.....17 - 19 is such a rich storyline. The cover of # 19 is quintessential SA. I did a friend a favor a while back and bought some books from him to help him out. ASM 7 was one of them.....and it reignited my ASM passion.....ASM 7 is one of my favorite early marvels...don't really know why, it's not profound but it sure was, and is, a fun read. What started as a favor has turned into a stack of 12 different Ditko gems. I'm going to try and get the first appearance of all of Ditko's ASM villains. As of now, I lack 1, 2, 20, and 28. I'm looking for 4.5 to 6.0 copies that present well in a mylar.....stuff I can take out and look at often. I won't have a 1 for a very long while....as it's pricey.....but what fun. I had forgotten how much I love Spidey. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

ASM19001.jpg

.....17 - 19 is such a rich storyline. The cover of # 19 is quintessential SA. I did a friend a favor a while back and bought some books from him to help him out. ASM 7 was one of them.....and it reignited my ASM passion.....ASM 7 is one of my favorite early marvels...don't really know why, it's not profound but it sure was, and is, a fun read. What started as a favor has turned into a stack of 12 different Ditko gems. I'm going to try and get the first appearance of all of Ditko's ASM villains. As of now, I lack 1, 2, 20, and 28. I'm looking for 4.5 to 6.0 copies that present well in a mylar.....stuff I can take out and look at often. I won't have a 1 for a very long while....as it's pricey.....but what fun. I had forgotten how much I love Spidey. GOD BLESS...

I always love your posts Jim! Another great tribute to a great artist and book! :headbang:

My newest addition...finally... :cloud9:

Now need just #11 to complete my 5-41 in 9.0 or better...gonna be a tough one... :frustrated:

ASM13_90_OWW.jpg

(thumbs u

Great book Tom. Tough book to find with this kind of eye appeal, maybe second in difficulty to only the 11.

THX Bob! Appreciate the thoughts! Yeah I hunted for awhile for the right copy :headbang:

ASM19001.jpg

I always love your posts Jim! Another great tribute to a great artist and book! :headbang:

....thanks Tom. After giving this more thought , I realized that there are more first appearances of villains in Ditko's run than I realized....18 if I'm not mistaken. GOD BLESS....

1...Chameleon

2...Vulture, Tinker

3...Dr. Octopus

4...Sandman

6...Lizard

9...Electro

10...Enforcers

13...Mysterio

14...Green Goblin

15...Kraven

20...Scorpion

25...Spider Slayer

26...Crime Master

28...Molten Man

30...Cat Burgler (almost didn't include)

36...Looter

37...Strom's Robots (almost didn't include)

38...A Guy Named Joe (almost didn't include)

....I didn't include the Living Brain, as it was just a malfunctioning machine.

Ringmaster first appeared in Hulk 3 and Beetle was ST 123.....The circus crew is at least partially new.....I'm on the fence about them. Still, I can't think of many other characters who had so many additions to their Rogue's Gallery as quick as Spidey....with the Shocker and Kingpin from Romita's run....we have at least 20 firsts in the first 50 issues...mighty "amazing". GOD BLESS....

Edited by jimjum12

ASM 7 is one of my favorite early marvels...don't really know why, it's not profound but it sure was, and is, a fun read.

I have always loved #7. I feel like it's the first issue where Spidey really feels like Spidey, and all the elements click. A super fun read. (thumbs u

......it's one of my favorite comics period.......I was just doing some mental arithmatic and realized their are 23 fairly "significant" firsts in the first 52 issues of the FF.....no wonder Marvel was on fire in the 60's. Never a dull moment. GOD BLESS...

Ringmaster first appeared in Hulk 3 and Beetle was ST 123.....The circus crew is at least partially new.....I'm on the fence about them. Still, I can't think of many other characters who had so many additions to their Rogue's Gallery as quick as Spidey....with the Shocker and Kingpin from Romita's run....we have at least 20 firsts in the first 50 issues...mighty "amazing". GOD BLESS....

Yup I'm kinda biased myself but I agree that the run from 1-50 is incredible and defines the Silver Age! :cloud9:

To me it puts Avengers, X-Men, TOS and Thor to shame....

And so do the prices we pay to get them. doh!