• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
38 38

12,755 posts in this topic

I've had a Spider-Man Joe Rubinstein pin-up in my CAF for some time already. I decided to digitally color and create an imaginary cover for Spidey's 50th anniversary 700th issue, paying homage to issue 300:

Spider-Man-700-Imaginary-Cover-Rubinstein-1000.jpg

(click on the image to see and comment on the original art in CAF)

Then I had artist Mike DeCarlo ink over my fanboy pencils of a cover concept idea of Legion of Super-Heroes 38 (circa 2007). I never really liked the original cover by Bill Sienkewicz because it didn't tell the story of what's inside. DeCarlo was the original inker of the series, so it was a great commission to do 25 years later.

Legion-38-Alternative-1000.jpg

I also got what I feel is one of the ultimate Curt Swan Superman splash pages! I just love this piece of art!

Canon-Superman-372-Title-Splash-800.jpg

I just loved the image and felt it was quintessential Curt Swan that I felt like digitally coloring it and making it into another imaginary concept cover. Here are the digital colors:

Superman-372-Inspired-Imaginary-Cover.jpg

If you have missed my previous update about indulging in a guilty pleasure, here it is - Howard Porter and Mike DeCarlo merchandising/licensee style art from 1998:

JLA-Style-Guide-Porter-1000.jpg

Someday when I do have time, I will digitally color the above art and convert it into an imaginary cover of some sort.

I also update additional images on my Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez Superman Style Guide art after I obtained more information through an eBay listing. I realized this was the cover of that style guide. http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=832891&GSub=122141

Yes the above is the art swiped by Andy Kaufman, sold for thousands of dollars, and which I started a thread about here a few months back.

Enjoy these updates!

Edited by jick

By no means were these aquired recently, but it occurred to me that I hadn't posted this where the real fans can see it. The FF 98 page on the far right was purchased after one of the most enjoyable nights of my whole (hobby) life.

comicroom002.jpg[/img]

I posted my adventures this weekend in Boston on another thread, but thought I'd link to the art here, too.

Katie Cook - Her work makes me smile

The LSH Founders

Harry Potter and his Patronus

Daniel Hdr and Bob Wiacek (pencil page and matching blue line inked page)

Legion of Super-Heroes (2012) issue 8

Curt Swan - I'm really happy with this!

Legion of Super-Heroes

For those that don't like links, here you go, but really press the link and give the CAF some hits, Bill needs the money. :)

Cook,%20Katie%20-%20LSH%20Founders.jpg

Cook,%20Katie%20-%20Harry%20Potter%20and%20his%20Patronus.jpg

Hdr,%20Daniel%20(pencils)%20and%20Bob%20Wiacek%20(inks)%20(both%20Pencils%20and%20Inks)%20-%20LSH%20(2012)%208%20Pg%2017.jpg

Swan,%20Curt%20(pencils)%20and%20Larry%20Mahlstadt%20(inks)%20-%20LSH%20(1983)%20306%20%20Pg%2017.jpg

Wanted to share some old convention sketches I found. The Laird inked Turtle is my favorite, unfortunately they have some foxing from poor storage conditions and there is some surface damage to the Larsen piece. Will be preserved from here on out. The show a lot better than the scans.

Luckily my favorite is also in the best shape.

larsen.jpg

scan0008-15.jpg

scan0007-17.jpg

Got a page from a Claremont / Byrne collaboration! Well, it's not the X-Men but I am a DC Comics guy:

Justice League of America 94 (2004) Page 15 featuring Wonder Woman by John Byrne and Jerry Ordway

JLA-94-15-CAF-Size.jpg

Interesting to see the panels up close, just goes to show the detail and care put in by Byrne and Ordway:

JLA-94-15-Panel-4.jpg

JLA-94-15-Panel-5.jpg

I got that page since I was already ordering from the same dealer (Mr. Warden) who I got my first Jack Kirby art which I posted about elsewhere in this forum.

Super Powers (1985) Page 18 with Superman, Darkseid, Desaad, Martian Mahunter, Red Tornado, Wonder Woman and Firestorm by Jack Kirby

Interesting to see the panels up close, just goes to show the detail and care put in by Byrne and Ordway:

JLA-94-15-Panel-4.jpg

JLA-94-15-Panel-5.jpg

I love seeing large scans of individual panels. It really gives you an appreciation for the work of a good inker.