Page 291 of 364 « First<289290291292293>Last »
Topic Options
#5720194 - 05/27/12 06:33 PM Re: The Official 2011-12 FIFA/UEFA/Premier League Football Discussion Thread [Re: Bane]
blowout Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Beyond The Horizon
 Originally Posted By: Bane
 Originally Posted By: buddymagoo
Scholes could never be too old to play his position and Carrick is an immense player and severely misunderstood and under rated amongst the general football fan. He has the best stats of all English midfielders and has helped Man Utd dominate English football for the past 6 years. We always struggle when he is out of the team.
http://fourfourtwo.com/blogs/statszone/a...his-summer.aspx

I'll agree that Carrick has had a very consistent season for Man Utd, but last season or the season before (I don't remember which) he was shocking and at fault for a couple of Utd losses.

I watched the first half of the game but got bored.

He hasn't exactly set the world on fire at international level. He's a decent player, but not international class.
It's scary to see how few geniunely international class players England now have. The goalkeeper and a couple of ageing defenders aside, they have nothing. \:o

#5720296 - 05/27/12 07:18 PM Re: The Official 2011-12 FIFA/UEFA/Premier League Football Discussion Thread [Re: blowout]
Comicopolis Offline

Only 7000 posts in more than 7 years - that's just lazy.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Nighthawk's Farm
 Originally Posted By: blowout
Scholes could never be too old to play his position and Carrick is an immense player and severely misunderstood and under rated amongst the general football fan. He has the best stats of all English midfielders and has helped Man Utd dominate English football for the past 6 years. We always struggle when he is out of the team.

I'll agree that Carrick has had a very consistent season for Man Utd, but last season or the season before (I don't remember which) he was shocking and at fault for a couple of Utd losses.

He hasn't exactly set the world on fire at international level. He's a decent player, but not international class.
It's scary to see how few geniunely international class players England now have. The goalkeeper and a couple of ageing defenders aside, they have nothing. \:o

No real difference than at any time in the last forty years.

#5720617 - 05/27/12 08:59 PM Re: The Official 2011-12 FIFA/UEFA/Premier League Football Discussion Thread [Re: blowout]
tth2 Offline

"I blame it on the low quality of the newbies that are joining the boards."
--And with one swoop tth2 become the community crotchety old man. Damn kids today.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Hong Kong

England have 2 world class players at the moment: Joe Hart and Wayne Rooney. By "world class", I mean a player who would have a very decent chance of making the starting XI of almost any team in the world (international or domestic).

I compare that with Spain, where I see that even though they're short of strikers due to David Villa's injury, they still have the luxury of excluding someone like Roberto Soldado, who scored 17 league goals this season and 18 last season. Similarly, de Gea, who is only the starting goal keeper for Man U, couldn't make the Spanish squad.

#5720638 - 05/27/12 09:05 PM Re: The Official 2011-12 FIFA/UEFA/Premier League Football Discussion Thread [Re: tth2]
Comicopolis Offline

Only 7000 posts in more than 7 years - that's just lazy.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Nighthawk's Farm
 Originally Posted By: tth2

England have 2 world class players at the moment: Joe Hart and Wayne Rooney. By "world class", I mean a player who would have a very decent chance of making the starting XI of almost any team in the world (international or domestic).

I compare that with Spain, where I see that even though they're short of strikers due to David Villa's injury, they still have the luxury of excluding someone like Roberto Soldado, who scored 17 league goals this season and 18 last season. Similarly, de Gea, who is only the starting goal keeper for Man U, couldn't make the Spanish squad.

Yes, but neither of those is world class either.

Ashley Cole is world class but that's about it for England, along with Hart & (maybe) Rooney.

#5721485 - 05/28/12 02:27 AM Re: The Official 2011-12 FIFA/UEFA/Premier League Football Discussion Thread [Re: Comicopolis]
tth2 Offline

--And with one swoop tth2 become the community crotchety old man. Damn kids today.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Originally Posted By: Comicopolis

Yes, but neither of those is world class either.

Ashley Cole is world class but that's about it for England, along with Hart & (maybe) Rooney.

I can't imagine there is a squad in the world, including Barca and Madrid, where Rooney wouldn't be an automatic starter or at least one of the first attacking options to come off the bench.

Forgot about Cole, who in his prime was definitely world class and maybe now is still just barely of that level. From the modern generation, in their primes I would've said that Rio, Terry and Gerrard (even if he never replicated his domestic form internationally) were world class players, along with Cole and Rooney. Which is why England's performance in the 2006 WC and non-presence in Euro 2008 were so utterly disappointing.

My point about the Spanish players wasn't that they were world class players, but that Spain has so many world class and top players that these guys, who would definitely be in the England squad, had no chance of making the Spanish squad. Enrique and Arteta would probably be automatic selections for the England squad, if not starters, and can't even hope of getting a sniff to play for Spain.

#5721487 - 05/28/12 02:29 AM Re: The Official 2011-12 FIFA/UEFA/Premier League Football Discussion Thread [Re: tth2]
tth2 Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

So if Barry's out (which is too bad, because I thought he actually played very well as the other holding midfielder in Man City's run at the end of the season), does this mean that Milner is going to be partnering Parker in midfield?
#5721552 - 05/28/12 04:36 AM Re: The Official 2011-12 FIFA/UEFA/Premier League Football Discussion Thread [Re: tth2]
Flaming_Telepath Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Hertfordshire, U.K.
So if Barry's out (which is too bad, because I thought he actually played very well as the other holding midfielder in Man City's run at the end of the season), does this mean that Milner is going to be partnering Parker in midfield?

http://www.comicanadirect.com

#5721616 - 05/28/12 06:26 AM Re: The Official 2011-12 FIFA/UEFA/Premier League Football Discussion Thread [Re: Flaming_Telepath]
Bane Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Reading, England
 Originally Posted By: Flaming_Telepath

Hopefully with the rest of the squad meeting up that will mean that Downing doesn't get in the squad at all.

The Ox should be deployed on the left side instead of Downing.

First half was boring if you ask me, I watched a movie instead.

No Jamie, you were one of a kind and you will be missed my friend. RIP.

#5721977 - 05/28/12 10:42 AM Re: The Official 2011-12 FIFA/UEFA/Premier League Football Discussion Thread [Re: Bane]
tth2 Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

Originally Posted By: Flaming_Telepath

Hopefully with the rest of the squad meeting up that will mean that Downing doesn't get in the squad at all.

The Ox should be deployed on the left side instead of Downing.

First half was boring if you ask me, I watched a movie instead.

This is where England really miss Wilshere, who could`ve made a real nice pairing with Parker.

I was thinking that Lampard might actually be able to fill the other holding role alongside Parker, similar to the deeper position he played with Chelsea in the second half of the season. He complemented Mikel role and made some nice passes from deep positions, while proving to be a much better defensive player than I gave him credit for. Playing deeper would mask his continued loss of pace and also wouldn`t have him and Gerrard bumping against each other all the time.

So my proposed England starting XI ex-Rooney (and assuming Barry`s out):

Carroll

Young Gerrard Walcott

Parker Lampard

Cole Cahill Lescott Johnson

#5722940 - 05/28/12 04:37 PM Re: The Official 2011-12 FIFA/UEFA/Premier League Football Discussion Thread [Re: chromium]
chromium Offline

Chromium deleted by Wertham
Custom title deleted by Wertham

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Sailing the seas of cheese.
 Originally Posted By: chromium
 Originally Posted By: goldust40

Drogba has been a great player for Chelsea over the years, particularly in big games, and out of that team I think he deserves a Champions League medal the most. And what a way to bow out (I assume) at Chelsea with an equalizer and a spot-kick that wins the biggest club trophy of all. Congrats to him, he earned it.

Now bring on the Belgians...Chelsea already have three of them (although Thibaut Courtois will probably be loaned out to Atlético Madrid for another year after being instrumental in them winning the Europa League title) and hopefully Eden Hazard will be the fourth to go blue

Looks like Chelsea bought their 4th Belgian... Garden of Eden

I've been a Chelsea fan since 1997 and have been flabbergasted at the changes the team has undergone since then...since it became a rich Russian's plaything I thought nothing would shock me any more, but I would have never, ever imagined that one day four Belgians would be playing for Chelsea FC \:o
I haven't been to The Bridge in nearly two years, but I'm thinking of taking the Eurostar more frequently next season hm

Page 291 of 364 « First<289290291292293>Last »

Moderator:  Gemma, ngcmod, Architecht, cgcmod3, cgcmod, cgcmod2, Harshen, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod5, cgcmod7, cgcmod8, CCGmod0, Barbara T, cgcmod9, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, ccgmod1, PaulS. 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
Budget Kitchens London
by rakpenak
10/30/14 10:57 PM
WTB: Junk Silver
by ChasingKingKirby
10/30/14 10:54 AM
New @ kittlecoins.com - Type Coins; Lovett Tokens; Copper Wilson Dollar; Commems
by illini420
10/29/14 10:08 PM
PROOF 70 COINS FOR SALE
by wmfielding
10/28/14 09:58 AM
Comics Marketplace
Some Spidey's
by gojira
05:04 AM
GA Action Comics Mega Thread
by quadman78
10:34 PM
Thrilling Adventures in Stamps #8 Overstreet "Very Rare"
by Dr. Love
09:04 PM
Guardians of the Galaxy, Bettie Page, The Walking Dead, prints, & more on Ebay
by FAKadar
07:13 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.09 seconds in which 0.08 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.