• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,201 posts in this topic

As a buyer, I've always been contacted by the sellers first. As a seller, I have always made sure to contact the buyer first. Perhaps it was my mistake in assuming this was normal etiquette.

I had started with a fresh PM, not the one which had been used to contact the seller during the sale as in inquiry about whether or not they had certain other items to add to the order. I have just now sent another PM, quoting the previous one and explaining that I was doing so to make sure they hadn't accidentally removed themselves from the previous PM. I'm fairly certain this is not the case, however, because it tells you at the bottom of the PM when someone has removed themselves.

Guess if there is no answer to this PM and no one has any other suggestions, I'll just forget about it and move on.

You're welcome to blow it off, but this is what the PL is for. Put him up for inclusion in the list and see what happens.

Even if it doesn't rise to including him on the PL, you at least let the other members here know if they hit the :takeit: in his sales threads, you might not actually ever get a book (thumbs u

Thats info i'd like to know when looking thru a sales thread (shrug)

Agreed. Give the seller the appropriate time to respond. If still no response, out the seller. The PL is for both bad buyers and sellers.

I think the seller should be outed so others can benefit from your experience. Goal of this thread is more about minimizing issues going forward (atleast that's how i view it!)

DEFINITELY!

When i hit the :takeit: , i expect to receive the book. Thinking you already have it, you can pass on another copy, a different book, whatever only to find out 30 days later that the seller has decided to just blow it off and not sell.

That certainly isnt cool in my book and would be a seller i'd avoid. If i buy something, i expect to receive it (shrug)

What would be an appropiate time to wait to receive an invoice? How many ( semi nagging ) PM's should be sent without an answer before bringing it up here?

Hey, happy Bday man! :applause:

Well, apparently its been over a month with at least 2-3 pm's. Thats plenty long enough and enough attempts for me.

This whole, maybe he deleted the pm thing doesnt fly with me either. 1st, who the hell deletes pm's from someone who just hit the :takeit: in your thread?

2nd, the pm clearly states if someone has removed themselves and the op says that is not the case. For whatever reason, this seller is just ignoring the pm's and not delivering what was up for sale. Imo, he should be outed at this point (thumbs u

I think the seller should be outed so others can benefit from your experience. Goal of this thread is more about minimizing issues going forward (atleast that's how i view it!)

DEFINITELY!

When i hit the :takeit: , i expect to receive the book. Thinking you already have it, you can pass on another copy, a different book, whatever only to find out 30 days later that the seller has decided to just blow it off and not sell.

That certainly isnt cool in my book and would be a seller i'd avoid. If i buy something, i expect to receive it (shrug)

Got to agree.

If you took the time to follow the sellers instructions and put up a :takeit: sign in the thread... you should be the winner of what was being sold.

I suppose you're right. I just don't like the idea of being responsible for someone ending up in the Probation list and not being able to buy/sell on the site. I don't want them nominated, I'd just like some resolution. Even if the answer is just "I don't want to sell my comics to you". I'd be disappointed, but that would be enough to end it for me. I don't understand being intentionally avoided.

The seller was "cheetah", and the sales thread was here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5491537&fpart=5

I posted the first "Take It" on 3/4/12, sent the first PM inquiry on 3/31/12, the second on 4/23/12, the third on 4/28/12 and then as suggested earlier here, on 4/29/12 sent an entirely new PM copying the contents of the first PM string in its entirety with a link to the sale and a note saying I was just making sure they hadn't accidentally removed themselves from the previous PM. Only the PM from 3/31/12 was read. Even the new PM from 4/29/12 was not.

I suppose you're right. I just don't like the idea of being responsible for someone ending up in the Probation list and not being able to buy/sell on the site. I don't want them nominated, I'd just like some resolution. Even if the answer is just "I don't want to sell my comics to you". I'd be disappointed, but that would be enough to end it for me. I don't understand being intentionally avoided.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5491537&fpart=5

I posted the first "Take It" on 3/4/12, sent the first PM inquiry on 3/31/12, the second on 4/23/12, the third on 4/28/12 and then as suggested earlier here, on 4/29/12 sent an entirely new PM copying the contents of the first PM string in its entirety with a link to the sale and a note saying I was just making sure they hadn't accidentally removed themselves from the previous PM. Only the PM from 3/31/12 was read. Even the new PM from 4/29/12 was not.

:facepalm:

For once, I'll keep my mouth shut and let others say their piece and deal with this. I don't want anything I say misconstrued or thought as me taking it personal because of prior dealings.

I'm sure he'll either see this or someone will pm him and he will respond (thumbs u

Hey, happy Bday man! :applause:

Well, apparently its been over a month with at least 2-3 pm's. Thats plenty long enough and enough attempts for me.

This whole, maybe he deleted the pm thing doesnt fly with me either. 1st, who the hell deletes pm's from someone who just hit the :takeit: in your thread?

2nd, the pm clearly states if someone has removed themselves and the op says that is not the case. For whatever reason, this seller is just ignoring the pm's and not delivering what was up for sale. Imo, he should be outed at this point (thumbs u

Thank you. I was actually asking as it relates to a couple of situations I've had on these boards, I didn't realize they were this similar. I was honestly asking how long one should wait...it seems that BG certainly waited long enough. In the past I felt I was too new and that the seller(s) were too beloved and had been here for a very long time. So I ended up letting it go since no money actually changed hands...kinda wish I had said something.

For once, I'll keep my mouth shut and let others say their piece and deal with this. I don't want anything I say misconstrued or thought as me taking it personal because of prior dealings.

I'm sure he'll either see this or someone will pm him and he will respond (thumbs u

Nobody will say anything about any well established members here. The pl is a little funky in that aspect and i feel it only targets a certain group of members but I'm sure cheetah will speak on his behalf and clear it up.

If you don't nominate cheetah for the list he shouldn't go on.

It's a good idea to voice your problems with a buyer or seller because you may just be

the tip of the iceberg and the sooner you get it out in the open the better. Does seem

strange that a long time, BB (big book) collector like cheetah wouldn't want to sell a

relatively common modern book.

As an FYI - I purchased some ASM books during his first listing (< issue #300 or something along those lines) and also during the same time you did. I payed separately as he gave me some time to pay for the, then, newly listed books. I received the first batch honestly within 3 days of payment. I have yet to receive the second, but am not at all concerned with the possibility of not receiving my order. Cheetah posted, publically, after the fact that he had some opportunities for his company that needed attention (purchasing of a new office building, I believe) - this was done in a GA/SA sales thread. So, with my previous dealings with him supproting my opinion, I have confidence that this purchase will be completed.

The fact that he has not read nor removed himself from your PMs, leads me to believe you are in the same boat as I.

Your concern is right and most definitely justified, and I do not mean to explicitely or implicitely say otherwise. Just thought I would add to the "probation" discussion with my experience/opinion on this sales thread and seller.

Nobody will say anything about any well established members here. The pl is a little funky in that aspect and i feel it only targets a certain group of members but I'm sure cheetah will speak on his behalf and clear it up.

Not questioning the validity of your opinion, nor arguing with you; but it could be, alternatively, that in order to be respected as a "well established member," that individual as gained the reputation of fulfilling his commitments on these boards.

I understand that many first time sellers and/or "noobies" (even though I hate that classification), are nominated or discussed here - that makes sense though. Those individuals have failed to make a reputation on these boards prior to entering into an obligation here and when they mess up or fail to carry through with their obligations, they are brought to the attention of the community (sooner than that of a reputable member). AND, where many members have not dealt with that new individual, they have no basis on saying an opinion other than what is reported. On the other hand, an established member has a wealth of individuals that would come to their defense (not as their friend, but as someone who has previously dealt with them).

I never like the excuse that a seller is too busy with their life to complete a timely transaction. If you're too busy to complete transactions, why have a sale in the first place? (shrug)

Not questioning the validity of your opinion, nor arguing with you; but it could be, alternatively, that in order to be respected as a "well established member," that individual as gained the reputation of fulfilling his commitments on these boards.

I understand that many first time sellers and/or "noobies" (even though I hate that classification), are nominated or discussed here - that makes sense though. Those individuals have failed to make a reputation on these boards prior to entering into an obligation here and when they mess up or fail to carry through with their obligations, they are brought to the attention of the community (sooner than that of a reputable member). AND, where many members have not dealt with that new individual, they have no basis on saying an opinion other than what is reported. On the other hand, an established member has a wealth of individuals that would come to their defense (not as their friend, but as someone who has previously dealt with them).

In this world even the well established have robbed a bank. (thumbs u

I never like the excuse that a seller is too busy with their life to complete a timely transaction. If you're too busy to complete transactions, why have a sale in the first place? (shrug)

Not making excuses for anyone, but there has to be some leeway here. Death in the family, loss of job, divorce, car wreck etc.

But barring a life changing event, I'd say 30 days is plenty of time to complete a transaction.

In this world even the well established have robbed a bank. (thumbs u

Agreed !

Not making excuses for anyone, but there has to be some leeway here. Death in the family, loss of job, divorce, car wreck etc.

But barring a life changing event, I'd say 30 days is plenty of time to complete a transaction.

You are right that those are valid reasons. I just do not get how he can be too busy if that is what the excuse is and he has continued to post here on the boards (10 times or so today).