Page 2 of 24 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#5641261 - 04/30/12 05:50 PM Re: Calgary Comic Expo 2012 Stunning [Re: Chip Cataldo]
aardvark88 Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: O Canada
 Originally Posted By: Robot Brainiac
Sounds like so much fun.
Chip

It is a LOT of prep work. Will take you at least 1 full month to grade and price your vintage comics plus 1 week to figure out how to build/erect a wall display, arrange for booth space, hotel, parking, food, gas bill for mini-van or big SUV, etc.

#5641277 - 04/30/12 05:53 PM Re: Calgary Comic Expo 2012 Stunning [Re: Chip Cataldo]
thehumantorch Online   happy

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Alberta Canada
I would kill to be able to do this stuff! Sounds like so much fun.

Peace,

Chip

It is fun but it is a ton of work. Try it for a few shows and you will soon have a great deal of respect for dealers. Load in and load out is tiring and a 3 day show is a physical and mental grind. And a dealer doesn't just show up and rake in the money. He spends many hours buying inventory, grading and pricing and bagging and boarding and preparing for the show. Then he has to put on a smile and listen to low ball offers, tell people how much their Spawn #1 is really worth and direct people to the bathroom or ATM.

My CAF

THIS JUST IN

#5641284 - 04/30/12 05:54 PM Re: Calgary Comic Expo 2012 Stunning [Re: aardvark88]

TOTAL NEWBIE

Originally Posted By: aardvark88
Sounds like so much fun.
Chip

It is a LOT of prep work. Will take you at least 1 full month to grade and price your vintage comics plus 1 week to figure out how to build/erect a wall display, arrange for booth space, hotel, parking, food, gas bill for mini-van or big SUV, etc.

Dead on. Not to mention buying hundreds of $$ worth of bags and boards. I spent at least a month preparing for this show.

My CAF

THIS JUST IN

#5641299 - 04/30/12 05:57 PM Re: Calgary Comic Expo 2012 Stunning [Re: thehumantorch]
Chip Cataldo Online   content
If you have a dream about out-posting me, you better wake up and apologize.

Loc: Myrtle Beach, SC
I know there's a ton of work involved. I don't mind that at all when it's working with stuff I am so passionate about. Sadly, the cash isn't there to do, nor will it be. I still can dream, though.

On with the reports! \:\)

Peace,

Chip

#5641302 - 04/30/12 05:59 PM Re: Calgary Comic Expo 2012 Stunning [Re: thehumantorch]
VintageComics Offline

You don't get one.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Start a thread about it...
 Originally Posted By: thehumantorch
Sounds like so much fun.
Chip

Dead on. Not to mention buying hundreds of $$ worth of bags and boards. I spent at least a month preparing for this show.

I enjoy shows but I find the mental stress to be immense, trying to control the crowed, answer questions and just keep track of inventory.

"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is." - Winston Churchill.

How to use the search function.

I'm so first, I'm last. - Me

#5641333 - 04/30/12 06:09 PM Re: Calgary Comic Expo 2012 Stunning [Re: VintageComics]
HOTFLIPS Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: New York/New Jersey
 Originally Posted By: VintageComics
Sounds like so much fun.
Chip

I enjoy shows but I find the mental stress to be immense, trying to control the crowed, answer questions and just keep track of inventory.

Imagine doing four shows in a row then.

On with the report!! Looking forward to it.

#5641361 - 04/30/12 06:16 PM Re: Calgary Comic Expo 2012 Stunning [Re: Chip Cataldo]

TOTAL NEWBIE

Sales were steady through Friday. Show didn't close until 8 pm so we were pretty tired.

New boardie Gyro/Randy stopped by. Vern came by with a backpack of GA books and I pulled out a Marvel Mystery 20 in lovely mid grade with wonderful colour and purchased it. I think I've purchased one good book from him at each of the last 4 or 5 shows in Calgary. There are lots of great books out there so I always go out of my way to buy from people I like and from collectors who love the books. And I'm not slagging dealers here as some of them are honest and are great to deal with and I often do.

About 10 of us went to the keg for supper. Gyro, 500club, Artboy, couple guys I play hockey with, purse and clothing seller we knew who set up across the aisle. Somehow I made a wrong turn in the dark and we drove beside a railway yard for miles. When we finally turned around we saw a welcome to Calgary sign. We were miles off course. The four passengers in my car tortured me with laughter throughout the drive. We finally arrived at the restaurant to find the other 1/2 of our group had finally found a table in the crowded restaurant.

We were starved and the meal was great and we had a great time. Liaton/Liam was in town but couldn't make supper Friday.

My CAF

THIS JUST IN

#5641378 - 04/30/12 06:21 PM Re: Calgary Comic Expo 2012 Stunning [Re: VintageComics]

TOTAL NEWBIE

Sounds like so much fun.
Chip

The guys across from us showed Artboy a trick people were using to steal books. Pull it out to look at it and then then slide it back at the front of the box in front of the inner flap and slide it down through the box and under their coat. Artboy then tried it on me while I was looking right at him. I never saw a thing. Note to self, tape the bottom of every box at the front where one fold of cardboard meets the other to close this loophole.

My CAF

THIS JUST IN

#5641381 - 04/30/12 06:22 PM Re: Calgary Comic Expo 2012 Stunning [Re: HOTFLIPS]

TOTAL NEWBIE

Originally Posted By: HOTFLIPS
Sounds like so much fun.
Chip

Imagine doing four shows in a row then.

On with the report!! Looking forward to it.

4 shows in a row is tough but fortunately bags of Mylar and backing boards don't weigh anything.

My CAF

THIS JUST IN

#5641451 - 04/30/12 06:37 PM Re: Calgary Comic Expo 2012 Stunning [Re: thehumantorch]
gyro-1 Offline
Chatzilla

Loc: Alberta

Notices he hasnt mentioned the young lady in the booth beside theres ?
Red Sonja 1979 #8 and #9 first print date in 9.8
All red sonja -- UK pence and Mark Jeweler over 9.0
Invaders TV show photo covers 1967 top grades
Doc Savage 1972 2/5/6/7/8 and giant sized in 9.8
Rima 4/6/7 in 9.8

Page 2 of 24 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  Gemma, plitch, cgcmod3, cgcmod, cgcmod2, Harshen, scaffrey, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod7, CCGmod0, cgcmod8, Barbara T, cgcmod9, Matt Nelson, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, nmp 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
New coins added to my website! 1909 VDB Cents; Chop Mark T$1; Dan Carr Medals ++
by illini420
05:37 PM
GreatCollections - Today - CAC High Relief, Baseball Coins, 1865 $5 and More
by ianrussell
09:21 AM
few barbers for your consideration.
by mrkbrown8709
01:19 AM
WTB- 1 real sweet PL Morgan. 1k budget
by KeeNoooo
11:12 PM
Comics Marketplace
Collection Thread
by Diamonddave
.01 NO RESERVE eBay auctions JLA,Kordey X-Men, Darwyn Cooke Catwoman
by Dumur
9.8 slabs of Batman, Uncanny X-Force, Valiant and more
by jszei
09:01 PM
WAR IS HELL RUN 1-5,12-13 1972 & DYNOMUTT 1-6 1978 HIGH GRADE CHEAP
by F. Palma
08:57 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0.007 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

IDW Publishing