• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manhattan Projects

1,044 posts in this topic

Just finished reading the second one today, and i got finger prints all over this cover, much like the first one... i dont know what it is, it doesn't happen with any other comic so far.. just this one.

bought 4 copies earlier. read one and the same thing happened.

Anybody have any knowledge on whether this book will become "collectible" as in the sense of even coming close to walking dead status or chew?

If anyone knew the answer to that question they could make a tens of thousands ... I don't think we'll see this book ever get that hot. There is no way in my mind that it or any other book will enjoy the commercial sucess the Walking Dead has simply because the WD has a hit TV show and had years of soft sales. Chew is only going to remain a high value book (in my opinion) if the TV show on Showtime goes. Otherwise I see the price of those books cutting in half or more a few years or even a few months after the series ends with issue 60. I'm not by any stretch of the imagination an authority and I certainly don't have a crystal ball, but I think a lot of people would agree with what I just said.

Anybody have any knowledge on whether this book will become "collectible" as in the sense of even coming close to walking dead status or chew?

If anyone knew the answer to that question they could make a tens of thousands ... I don't think we'll see this book ever get that hot. There is no way in my mind that it or any other book will enjoy the commercial sucess the Walking Dead has simply because the WD has a hit TV show and had years of soft sales. Chew is only going to remain a high value book (in my opinion) if the TV show on Showtime goes. Otherwise I see the price of those books cutting in half or more a few years or even a few months after the series ends with issue 60. I'm not by any stretch of the imagination an authority and I certainly don't have a crystal ball, but I think a lot of people would agree with what I just said.

Yeah I see where your coming from. I guess thats why its called speculating, because in all honesty nobody ever truly knows what the outcome of a series may be! Thanks for the response!

No problem, I enjoy thinking about that kind of stuff. It's fun for me to try and predict pop culture trends. I also think that everyone on the board agrees that TV hit + comic book series = $ but the same is not true for film as we've seen with series like Wanted, Hellboy, etc. Sometimes films can generate some short term heat and a reasonable spike in value but never the type of big numbers that a hit TV show produces. Just look at the speculation driving the value of Thief of Thieves. At the same time, there are countless comics that have secured deals for pilots that haven't gone crazy (e.g., 100 Bullets, the Damned, Powers, etc.). There is a wealth of informaiton on the boards from people who sell comics for a living. This is a great place to learn from people who do this for a living (unlike me) and have made a lot more money and a lot more mistakes which they have learned from and learned not to repeat. So take what I say with some reservation. Take what anyone says with some reservation for that matter just add a little more reservation to those non-professionals like myself.

Still waiting for my #1 & #2 to come through the post, really looking forward to reading this title. Think I might try and get a digital copy of #2 if there is an issue with fingerprints leaving a mark so thanks for the heads up.

The books seem pretty hot in the UK at the moment, not sure if it'll last or is just the #1 1st print furore.

Still waiting for my #1 & #2 to come through the post, really looking forward to reading this title. Think I might try and get a digital copy of #2 if there is an issue with fingerprints leaving a mark so thanks for the heads up.

The books seem pretty hot in the UK at the moment, not sure if it'll last or is just the #1 1st print furore.

just be careful holding the back cover of the book.

#3 was awesome! This is my favorite ongoing book. I'll be looking for 9.8 quality 1st through 3rd prints of #1 at the Dallas show this weekend. Mine arrived munched but I'm glad I still bought it and read it.